Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Crazy people force GM to pull its best auto commercial ever (C6 Vette)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:44 PM

Angry Crazy people force GM to pull its best auto commercial ever (C6 Vette)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5819371/

Protests from seven safety groups prompted General Motors Corp. to pull a television ad that shows a young boy driving a Corvette sports car so recklessly that it goes airborne, officials of the automaker said on Wednesday.

The ad, featuring the Rolling Stones song "Jumpin' Jack Flash," has aired repeatedly during the Olympics. The groups, including Consumers Union and the Center for Auto Safety, complained that it was "the most dangerous" spot they have seen in recent years............. more
Sorry if this isn't Future Vehicle releated enough, but it does relate to the C6 The SSR soap commercial was pulled by similar groups too GM should keep these two commercial one the Web.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:50 PM

Re: Crazy people force GM to pull its best auto commercial ever (C6 Vette)

***lkf234;3lkrj;2lkrjlk~!!!!!!!!!!!

Fawking american whiners Pretty soon yogurt commercials are going to be too dangerous because of the use of a spoon and a 5 year old child smiling in the background. This is rediculous.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 PM

BOO!

How many 8 year old kids are driving a car around anyway!!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:05 PM

hmmm....the groups should've rallied against the commercial because it's bland, cliche, and unimaginative...the autoextremist had a nice little rant about it today on his site
Old 08-25-2004, 01:06 PM

Yet when it's a commercial for a Corolla flying dangerously through city streets it's perfectly ok. An Altima doing a 360 on a street is apparantly also acceptable.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
BOO!

How many 8 year old kids are driving a car around anyway!!
How many 8 year old kids are driving a C6!!! GAH!! THIS IS BLASPHEMY!!
Old 08-25-2004, 02:00 PM

Heck as far as We know Legal may have pulled it because that Girl winked at the boy.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:32 PM

Stupid whiners. BTW, excellent point, JED. Someone should write a letter to this "advocacy group"...

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot:
Old 08-25-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Magnum Force
hmmm....the groups should've rallied against the commercial because it's bland, cliche, and unimaginative...the autoextremist had a nice little rant about it today on his site
Well, you know what they say about opinions... :blah: The point was that it was pulled for nanny reasons. Whether or not the commercial was up to your standard for creativity has basically nothing to do with such a discussion. I personally thought it was a cool commercial. I remember being just like that kid when I was his age... But anyway...
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM

That is retarded, excuse me.

WHere is this "commercial police" when it comes to things kids learn on TV from various shows? But, that is free speech. So it's perfectly alright for them to learn promiscous behaviour, violence, greed and selfishness so rampant in most of the shows, but oh my goodness, dare we show a reckless driving commercial.

This is so absurd, words fail me. When most morals are on the decline, "outspoken" groups are totally blind to it - yet they wreak havoc over something like this commercial. It's like saying that MacDonald's food is bad for you because their soft drinks have high sugar content. Have water instead, but go ahead and stuff yourself with those Big Extras with cheese and bacon. And let us throw a coupon for you to get one free, too.

Sigh...
Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 PM

That's what the American society has come to due to all the frivolous BS lawsuits.

TS
Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM

this country is full of so many pussified whiners its crazy! most people arent happy unless they are bitching about something. i guess as long as the commercials are comming from imported manufactures its ok to have cars racing around streets. all hopes for a kickass camaro commercial just flew out the window.

whats next? green peace will start complaining about the silverado commercial where the guy stretches his truck by tying it up to a tree because it will cause people to go around and uproot trees?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:02 PM

Question Re: Crazy people force GM to pull its best auto commercial ever (C6 Vette)

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Well, you know what they say about opinions... :blah: The point was that it was pulled for nanny reasons. Whether or not the commercial was up to your standard for creativity has basically nothing to do with such a discussion. I personally thought it was a cool commercial. I remember being just like that kid when I was his age... But anyway...
OK, my personal opinions on creativity in automotive broadcast advertising aside, then the fault is with GM for buckling under pressure...the ad meets general standards of decency, is not profane or obscene, and violates no FCC regs...the safety groups involved aren't even threatening anything (lawsuit, boycott, censor)...I would think that GM and their army of high-power attorneys could make a nice little first amendment case out of this if prompted...

Now, the question that really gets me is if, for the sake of arguement, NBC or CBS had refused to sell them air time for the same reasons, GM would have fought this to the death in court...so why did they so quickly yield to a bunch of groups i never heard of until today; groups which threatened no legal/economic action?? (and if they did, their total number of participants would probably be less than the number of posters on this site)...All the freaking $$ billions GM had spent for the once-every-four-years olympics, and the once-per-decade rollout of the biggest and most important crown jewel...GM had every right to show the ad, yet they are the ones that backed down-the onus is on them..

Last edited by Magnum Force; 08-25-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Magnum Force
<snip>
Ok then! Now that's more like it! To JED's point about other ads not getting hit with this sort of pressure, perhaps these same groups did go after Toyota (and others) who show ads like this, but not everyone has caved? I wonder how they felt about the Tacoma ad where the g/f has her b/f's truck shoved off a cliff (where it lands w/out a scratch...). DCX has pulled a few ads in recent years, but most of those were actually in pretty poor taste or offensive for mainstream America (to whom they were trying to sell). This Corvette ad, to me, is about the type of thing many kids dream about and tugs at that (perhaps overplayed, but ever present and still legit) desire for everyone to feel like they did when they were kids. Not to mention the sub-level ideas of working hard so that you could maybe buy one "when you grow up." Too bad it was so short lived...
Old 08-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Soon they'll have disclaimers on commercials just so they can stay on the air

"Corvette does not actually fly. Kids are actually infront of green screen, with the car off. Please don't get behind the wheel unless you have a valid driver's license. PS: this is just a ****ing commercial, not real life"

Quick Reply: Crazy people force GM to pull its best auto commercial ever (C6 Vette)