Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Colorado and Canyon semi truck styling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:50 PM
cmc

Colorado and Canyon semi truck styling.

Cover up the upper sections of the headlights and pretend that the hood is only as wide as the grille. It looks like they designed it as a semi-looking truck, and then added the top sections of Envoy headlights in order to 'traditionalize' it.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:19 PM

I absolutely hate the way the new dodge trucks look, and see them looking like a semi. The Colorado/Canyon to me, looks like a very tough, rugged truck, and not so much like a an undersized semi.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:27 PM

I think Colorado looks pretty good... I think Canyon does not look different enough, since all they did was tack on a different grille...

I started athread about this titled "I thought GM was going to quit doing this" ... I hate vehicle clones.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:26 AM

I like the Colorado a lot. I agree with Darth, I hope they do something in the next year or so with the Canyon to better differentiate it from its Chevy cousin.

-Mike
Old 01-21-2003, 03:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Sixer-Bird
I absolutely hate the way the new dodge trucks look, and see them looking like a semi. The Colorado/Canyon to me, looks like a very tough, rugged truck, and not so much like a an undersized semi.
I don't like the way the new Ram looks, but the pick-up truck market sure does. The design was pure genius, judging by the sales figures. For instance, making the extended cab look like a crew cab was a marketing bullseye. It doesn't do much for practicallity though. Thanks for shortening the bed by half-a-foot and putting the center pillar back in the cab. A stupid design sells when it's styled like a semi.

The Colorado/Canyon is not quite so cartoon-like, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. I think GM is offering a good looking product, but the styling really isn't exagerated enough. The "good-taste," five-cylinder only Chevrolet Colorado is going to get creamed when Dodge brings out a V8 equipped M80 in a year or two.

When it comes to trucks, there is no such thing as "tough enough, " at least when it comes down to image.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by redzed
The "good-taste," five-cylinder only Chevrolet Colorado is going to get creamed when Dodge brings out a V8 equipped M80 in a year or two.

I am about 85% sure that Colorado would accept a V8... can anyone back me up?

I don't know if one is available,m in the pipeline, or at least planned yet though...

I thought Colorado was based on TrailBlazer... if so, TrailBlazer already has a V8 available, and the potential SS TrailBlazer has an even more powerful (345hp 5.3 V8) ...

Trucks aren'y my area of focus, so maybe someone more in the know can back me up or shoot me down here...

If I am right, I fully would expect a Colorado SS with V8 power at some point...
Old 01-21-2003, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately the Colorado/Canyon is NOT based off Trailblazer. It was primarliy designed by Isuzu--
it's a gobal mid-sized truck---witha sales target about 700,000/year.

I think the V8 would fit before the I6 would--hopefully it will be an option sometime. 300hp sounds nice.

Too bad it was not diesigned with the I6 in mind--
picture the performance of a Trailblazer weighing 700lbs less
Old 01-21-2003, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by 305fan
Unfortunately the Colorado/Canyon is NOT based off Trailblazer. It was primarliy designed by Isuzu--
it's a gobal mid-sized truck---witha sales target about 700,000/year.

I think the V8 would fit before the I6 would--hopefully it will be an option sometime. 300hp sounds nice.

Too bad it was not diesigned with the I6 in mind--
picture the performance of a Trailblazer weighing 700lbs less
Thanks for the info. Now that you say that, I do remember the whole Isuzu link....