Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Co-op in the automotive industry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:07 AM

Co-op in the automotive industry?

The lounge is probably a better place for this but I know a lot of you guys work for manufacturers and probably never go into the lounge.

Anyways, my question is just what would be the best way to go about finding a co-op in the field? Just check websites or is there a place to look for job listings?

Im a sophomore Computer Science major at the University of Dayton with a pretty good GPA, but no previous expirence.

All I really know for sure is that I love cars and would love to work in the field. Not engineering, but I'd think theres at least a small demand for computer nerds in the field somewhere...

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:10 PM

I would also Like some information if any of you guys have some. I’m sort of in the same situation as Chuck! except I'm interested in the engineering side of things. I'm a Freshmen ME this year at Texas Tech, but I know I'm going to be very interested in internships in the future. I’d really like to find this job for not this summer but the next. GM has a web site on this topic, however its not very detailed. Any information will be very welcomed.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:01 PM

If you guys cared about working for a supplier (Tier 1) I might be able to find something, but I can't do much for the big 3.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:28 AM

I am junior in mechanical engineering. I did 3 Co-op work terms with a tier 1 supplier called Intier Automotive. Often, it is about who you know. If your school has a co-op program, enroll in that. If your school has technical job fairs, go to those. Most of all, try to find friends or relative with connections in the industry. See if they can hook you up with something, or put in a good word for you.

I've never had any luck with online resumes, but you can try it if you want.