Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chrysler registers Cuda nameplate, Hemi engine perks up in interest

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Chrysler registers Cuda nameplate, Hemi engine perks up in interest

Fewer nameplates resonate with the muscle-obsessed Mopar crowd more than the Cuda. Packing a 426 Hemi engine under the long, shaker-equipped hood, the classic 'Cuda was potent enough to strike fear into the hearts and souls of more plebeian hardware... which was pretty much everything else on the road.

Now that the muscle car wars are officially back in full swing – and, perhaps most importantly, the latest Mustang, Camaro and Challenger have all proven to be hits with the American population – Chrysler has hinted that the 'Cuda could once again terrorize the dealership lot.

According to Allpar.com, Chrysler has even registered the name Cuda as a trademark. As we've said in the past (and our readers seem to agree), we'd be more than happy to welcome back the Barracuda to the muscle car fold... just so long as it's significantly different from the Dodge Challenger with which it will surely share its underpinnings.

Now would be a good time to point out that the 'Cuda was historically a bit smaller than the Challenger, with a two-inch reduction in wheelbase when compared to its sibling. What we can say for certain is that a reborn 'Cuda, should it ever see the light of day, won't be wearing its old Plymouth name badge. Our best guess is that it would be sold as a Chrysler. In any case, consider our interest piqued.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/21/c...s-up-in-inter/
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Re: Chrysler registers Cuda nameplate, Hemi engine perks up in interest

Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm a big fan of the Plymouth 'Cuda. But, I'm going to say something not very popular here.

Zzzzzip, flamesuit on.

I'd rather see a 'Cuda come back as a smaller, lighter, great handling, fun to drive, FWD/AWD package than another rehash of a large, 2+ ton, LX car.

Yes, an AWD, six speed, 385 hp, twin turbo V6, AAR 'Cuda!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'm a big fan of the Plymouth 'Cuda. But, I'm going to say something not very popular here.

Zzzzzip, flamesuit on.

I'd rather see a 'Cuda come back as a smaller, lighter, great handling, fun to drive, FWD/AWD package than another rehash of a large, 2+ ton, LX car.

I'd agree with this. You already have the Challenger, why do a similar car with a different badge? If it made a lot of sense we'd have a Firebird today.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Plymouth is dead. Chrysler Cuda just sounds WRONG!

It would be like GM bringing back the Firebird as a Buick!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Plymouth is dead. Chrysler Cuda just sounds WRONG!

It would be like GM bringing back the Firebird as a Buick!
They still own the Plymouth nameplate..

a Chrysler made Plymouth 'Cuda could be possible.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM

I don't understand, one person says Chrysler no longer owns the Cuda or Barricuda name, yet the article says they have registered it...
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 AM

I like the idea of a smaller lighter car but with the Cuda name it has to be a V8.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 AM

Zzzzzip, flamesuit on.

Name it after an 80s-90s Diamond Star instead, please.
The original 'Cuda was a large, heavy car back in the day -- might as well keep it that way.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Name it after an 80s-90s Diamond Star instead, please.
The original 'Cuda was a large, heavy car back in the day -- might as well keep it that way.
Conquest?

'Cuda was smaller and lighter than it's Challenger brother. Chrysler has already hinted that it would be FWD/AWD based. I'm sure it'll turn better than the LX Challenger. AAR digital fade decals and a flat black NACA hood would be nice touches.

As a kid, Plymouth always had the coolest cars. 'Cuda, Duster, Road Runner. The '70 'Cuda has always been one of my favorites, right up there with the 70 1/2 split bumper Z/28.

I remember being nine years old and watching Mannix on Sunday nights, just so I could catch scenes of his '70 'Cuda. Even at that tender age, it was already too late to save me.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Conquest?

'Cuda was smaller and lighter than it's Challenger brother. Chrysler has already hinted that it would be FWD/AWD based. I'm sure it'll turn better than the LX Challenger. AAR digital fade decals and a flat black NACA hood would be nice touches.

As a kid, Plymouth always had the coolest cars. 'Cuda, Duster, Road Runner. The '70 'Cuda has always been one of my favorites, right up there with the 70 1/2 split bumper Z/28.

I remember being nine years old and watching Mannix on Sunday nights, just so I could catch scenes of his '70 'Cuda. Even at that tender age, it was already too late to save me.
Who said that? That is not good for a cuda..

and in one of the articles they said they have the cuda name and the Plymouth name. But not the barricuda..
Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Who said that? That is not good for a cuda..

and in one of the articles they said they have the cuda name and the Plymouth name. But not the barricuda..

Allpar, from a quote from Ralph Gilles.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
I don't understand, one person says Chrysler no longer owns the Cuda or Barricuda name, yet the article says they have registered it...
Chrysler lost the rights to the " 'Cuda" and "Barracuda" names long ago. Other companies have grabbed the name and are using it.

Chrysler can reregister the names under the catagory of automobiles which also includes automotive parts ("Cobra" was also a radar detector and "Challenger", is a Freight company for example). However, other companies can still legally challenge the use of the name if they have a long standing use of that name. That's why the last Ford GT couldn't be called the GT40.

However, just the same, I take this story of Chrysler registering the "Cuda name with a grain of salt.

I would even come very, very close to calling the story false.

One key item it says in the Alpar story: "Chrysler might be registering the Cuda name to prevent it from being used by someone else. An individual attempted to register the Plymouth logo in 2008, though the filing was ultimately abandoned."

The writer certainly hasn't done any homework regarding this part.

The Cuda name IS registered : http://www.cuda.com/

Please note that this company's name is CUDA®.... that's with the registered trademark "®".

Other companies Chrysler would likely have to legally tangle with.
www.barracudalures.com
www.barracudanetworks.com

Last edited by guionM; 12-24-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:59 AM

Conquest?
Or Laser or Talon (I know that was an Eagle.

'Cuda was smaller and lighter than it's Challenger brother.
Was it really lighter? I know the wheelbase was 2" shorter, but did that save significant weight? Unless they did some re-engineering (back then? ha!), it was likely within 1%, which is probably where a new one would be if they followed the same formula. Remember that until the new enhanced 2011 Charger, the Challenger was within 1% of the Charger.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 AM

Meh, it'll just be another pig with something like 80% of them being automatics. Not interested.

Quick Reply: Chrysler registers Cuda nameplate, Hemi engine perks up in interest