Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chrysler Readies Nine-Speed Auto Transmissions to Cut Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM

Post Chrysler Readies Nine-Speed Auto Transmissions to Cut Fuel Consumption

Won't this car be incredibly annoying to drive?

DailyTech - Chrysler Readies Nine-Speed Auto Transmissions to Cut Fuel Consumption

A 16% improvement in fuel efficiency is expected from nine-speed transmission

Automakers are pulling out all the stops and looking to squeeze every single mile per gallon out of their automobiles by any means necessary. Automakers are looking at more fuel-efficient engines with smaller displacements, but they're also looking at reducing the weight of vehicles and increasing the number of forward gears used in car/truck transmissions.

Adding forward gears to a transmission makes a lot of sense because the slower the engine spins, the less fuel it consumes. In years past automatic transmissions used in vehicles commonly had four or five forward gears. More recent vehicles are moving up to six-speed and in some cases even eight-speed automatic transmissions in luxury vehicles. Chrysler is eyeing even more gears inside with nine-speed gearboxes for more mainstream vehicles.

According to Mircea Gradu, vice president transmission powertrain driveline engineering, Chrysler will roll out its first nine-speed transmission by the first half of 2013. “I’m convinced that, sooner or later, others will come up with similar solutions,” Gradu said in an interview from his office in Auburn Hills, Michigan, where Chrysler is based. “Hopefully, the time will be as long as possible until they catch up with the technology.”

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne believes that the automaker and its various brands will be able to meet looming fuel-efficiency standards by using technology that improves traditional gasoline engines combined with better transmissions rather than moving to plug-in hybrids and pure electric vehicles. CAFE standards will reach 54.5 mpg by 2025.

Michael Omotoso, a powertrain analyst at LMC Automotive, said, "They’re [Chrysler] doing basically the bare minimum to satisfy government regulations. Their strategy is to meet the standards with minimum investment.”

Bloomberg reports that the nine-speed transmission Chrysler is developing could boost fuel economy of certain models by as much as 16%. Chrysler has already scored a 15% boost in the highway fuel economy of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger by adding an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Source: Business Week
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Re: Chrysler Readies Nine-Speed Auto Transmissions to Cut Fuel Consumption

That's more gears than my bike

I'd rather have 9-gears than start-stop to be honest though. Nothing is more annoying than start-stop on a gas powered car.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
That's more gears than my bike

I'd rather have 9-gears than start-stop to be honest though. Nothing is more annoying than start-stop on a gas powered car.
I think it's plausible that we will all get both, eventually.

As far as how annoying it will be to drive, I suppose that depends a lot on the programming. But I can't imagine driving in the mountains with a 9 (or more) speed gearbox, programming or not that thing is going to be in a neverending gear hunting loop.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Isn't the entire point of CVTs to provide "infinitely" variable "gear" ratios?

Why are manufacturers preferring to 7-, 8- and now 9-speed autos?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM

I think part of it is durability in higher powered applications. They will probably get there someday but current designs seem to be limited to 200hp or less.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM

That seems like a never ending hunting mission for a transmission. I thought 6 was bad enough
Old 08-09-2012, 03:48 PM

IMO a good way to improve CAFE numbers would be to start building REAL wagons again. Last attempt we had was the Magnum and that failed in the cargo area and size of the door for loading.

Cars have gotten too small to be useful for a family which leads to many more truck and minivan sales that push CAFE down.

The last well done domestic wagon was the Caprice/Roadmaster 5000lbs towing capacity, mid 20s on the highway, seating for 8, enough room for 4x8 sheet goods GATE UP if you were willing to chew on the steering wheel and mid 15s at the track so they weren't slow.

You make a comparable car with a DIG DOD 5.3l and a 6 speed and I think that could be a great vehicle and up in the 30mpg range. It would do everything 90% of people ask of their trucks and get a LOT better mileage.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM

For all of you complaining about gears have you driven the new 8 speed auto's? They are awesome in my opinion. Bought a Charger a few months back with the 8 speed and that thing will run and never has a dead spot, drop it into sport mode with a click of the toggle and from a 50 mph press of the throttle you would swear it was a small V8 under the hood. Compared to the old Mercedes 5 speed that I have in my truck which has dead spots everywhere the 8 speed doesn't have them it just goes. Going about 20mph in my truck punching it leads to nothing really slow acceleration, in the Charger it jumps hard and even gives you a little shove when it hits 3rd. My buddy drove it the other day and had the same opinion many of you do that it is too many gears until he drove it, now he is ordering himself one as well. What's not to love I avg about 23mpg in the city and around 30 on the hwy, I can cruise with good gas mileage or I can drop it in sport and feel like I'm driving a early 90's Mustang GT power wise. I thought there were too many gears as well but after driving one my mind has changed. Now if you get one that has crappy programming then it probably will suck but Dodge has it right in my mind with the Charger.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I have a 6-speed on my Silverado and it drives me nuts, so I could only imagine what a 9 or 10 speed would be like. I know that GM has put a ton of torque management in it causing all kind of dead spots around the shifts. Passing gear sucks too, first converter unlock, then 5th, then 4th where you finally get some torque. I love the truck, but that part of it bugs the crap out of me.

It averages 16.5 mpg city and around 20 Hwy though, so guess I shouldn't complain too much. The guy next to me at the gas station a few months ago with the Hemi Dodge 4 speed said he only averaged around 13.

-Geoff
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I have a 6-speed on my Silverado and it drives me nuts, so I could only imagine what a 9 or 10 speed would be like. I know that GM has put a ton of torque management in it causing all kind of dead spots around the shifts. Passing gear sucks too, first converter unlock, then 5th, then 4th where you finally get some torque. I love the truck, but that part of it bugs the crap out of me.

It averages 16.5 mpg city and around 20 Hwy though, so guess I shouldn't complain too much. The guy next to me at the gas station a few months ago with the Hemi Dodge 4 speed said he only averaged around 13.

-Geoff
GM's sh*tty programming in the 6 speed auto's is well known, I think everyone has complained about it as well as their extreme torque management. Gm's idea is to advertise xxx amount of horsepower but in reality never allow you to have all of it due to limiting the computer. Total BS. I love my ZF 8 speed, jumps gears quick, changes gears fast, my old Merc 5 speed in the Dodge holds gears for 3 days before changing them.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM

I've driven a newer Enclave and Equinox with the A6 and while I enjoyed the vehicles, I absolutely hated the transmission programming. Made the cars feel like total slugs. Really had to push the pedal before it decided to downshift, abd then the downshifts happened too slow.
Made me wish for a TH-400 or 700R4.

I can't imagine the 6L80 in the Camaro or Corvette. It must just ruin the driving experiences in those cars.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 PM

I thought they had improved things for the 6speed. I have an 05 Sierra 5.3l 4L60E and the torque management is terrible, my understanding is a reprogram completely transforms the way the truck drives. Just haven't gotten around to buying HPtuner yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM

The GMT900 with 6-speed is just ok or bad, depending on what rear gear you get. 3.06 rear gear with 6-speed is torture. 3.42 is ok; much better after a custom tune. GM advertises 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty and then programs the drivetrain to make sure they don't have to pay too many warranty claims. The ZF 8-speed, from everything I've read, is a winner. I drove a friends BMW with the ZF 8-speed and it was terrific.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
The GMT900 with 6-speed is just ok or bad, depending on what rear gear you get. 3.06 rear gear with 6-speed is torture. 3.42 is ok; much better after a custom tune. GM advertises 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty and then programs the drivetrain to make sure they don't have to pay too many warranty claims. The ZF 8-speed, from everything I've read, is a winner. I drove a friends BMW with the ZF 8-speed and it was terrific.
Yea, this is me with the 3.06. I wondered why the dealership was so surprised when I wanted to lease that one.

-Geoff
Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
GM's sh*tty programming in the 6 speed auto's is well known, I think everyone has complained about it as well as their extreme torque management. Gm's idea is to advertise xxx amount of horsepower but in reality never allow you to have all of it due to limiting the computer. Total BS. I love my ZF 8 speed, jumps gears quick, changes gears fast, my old Merc 5 speed in the Dodge holds gears for 3 days before changing them.
The old Merc 5 speed is a disaster. It completely kills the LX line IMO.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Readies Nine-Speed Auto Transmissions to Cut Fuel Consumption