Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chrysler coupe saga.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Chrysler coupe saga.......

Officially, DCX says coupes have no market and are not planning on building any coupes.

However.....we keep getting reports that coupes.....probably based on the LX architecture...are being seen at DCX's BAP facility. One person even reported seeing a 'Cuda emblem on one of them.

Insiders caution that this product.... whether it's a Mustang fighter or larger coupe....has not been greenlighted. Their have been hints of heated internal discussions about this car.

IF it gets the go-ahead, (big if)....expect to see a concept at Detroit next year. Reportedly, a southern California custom shop would build the concept.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 AM

Re: Chrysler coupe saga.......

Cuda's are cool. In high school I owned a 69 Cuda formula-S fastback, 383, 4 speed. Loved that car. Totalled it street racing in 1974.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
Cuda's are cool. In high school I owned a 69 Cuda formula-S fastback, 383, 4 speed. Loved that car. Totalled it street racing in 1974.
Man, bet you'd like to have that back now! Big block first generation 'Cudas are rare and rare Mopars are practically like having a money printing press nowadays.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by NikiVee

Very cool! Well, not the totalling part.

I've always wanted a '70 AAR 'Cuda...since I was about 10. After watching Barett-Jackson, those cars are beginning to seem out of reach for mere mortals though.

I wouldn't mind a new one.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Z284ever]I've always wanted a '70 AAR 'Cuda...since I was about 10. After watching Barett-Jackson, those cars are beginning to seem out of reach for mere mortals though.
QUOTE]

You mean you don't have a spare $200K lying around?

Yeah, me neither (yet!). Guess I'm stuck with my '71 Hemi Cuda die cast.

I would hope this supposed coupe doesn't follow the blocky, uninspired look of the 300 or Magnum.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Very cool! Well, not the totalling part.

I've always wanted a '70 AAR 'Cuda...since I was about 10. After watching Barett-Jackson, those cars are beginning to seem out of reach for mere mortals though.

A co-worker of mine has a 70 AAR Cuda that he bought in 72. Its in a million pieces but he has everything including the original powertrain (except for the six pack carbs which he threw away in the 70s). I keep prodding him to give me the car so I can finish it. He has steadfastly refused to give it to me. I might have to resort to offering money for it. My wife would [sarcasm]love it [/sarcasm] if I brought another project home.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Man, bet you'd like to have that back now! Big block first generation 'Cudas are rare and rare Mopars are practically like having a money printing press nowadays.
I sure do. I paid $995 dollars for it in 1972. It was of course in excellent condition being that it was only a 3 year old car at the time. Green with tan interior. If I can find another one today I would buy it.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:22 AM

That's ok, I'm still kicking myself for not buying that '67 Z/28 "project" I stumbled across three years ago for only $15K.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:43 AM

If this 2 door 'Cuda resembles yet another LX re-hash, I would. It's become painfully obvious the LX structure is so inflexible a low-slung, sleek and halfway curvy car is nothing but a pipe-dream. The designer of the new "Charger" admitted as much.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 PM

So, they may go ahead and make a car that the Charger name would better fit, and now that name can't be used.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Thats what I was thinking... They really don't seem to know what to do next. I think the charger will sell ok regardless. Wonder if the backlash made them reconsider a coupe? Then what are they gonna call that?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Officially, DCX says coupes have no market and are not planning on building any coupes.

However.....we keep getting reports that coupes.....probably based on the LX architecture...are being seen at DCX's BAP facility. One person even reported seeing a 'Cuda emblem on one of them.

Insiders caution that this product.... whether it's a Mustang fighter or larger coupe....has not been greenlighted. Their have been hints of heated internal discussions about this car.

IF it gets the go-ahead, (big if)....expect to see a concept at Detroit next year. Reportedly, a southern California custom shop would build the concept.
This has been known for months. As a matter of fact, it might have eben been posted here as well.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
This has been known for months. As a matter of fact, it might have eben been posted here as well.
Yeah, I know...in fact, I believe I've been the one posting about it.

The reason I've posted again is......these sightings won't die.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 PM

At the rate their going I wouldnt doubt u see a Dodge coupe mixing it up with those Mustangs in your other thread before you see Camaros .
Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 PM

What do you guys think of this 2dr coupe photoshop based on the 4 door model. I think it looks pretty good.

Dodge Charger 2 door chop

Quick Reply: Chrysler coupe saga.......