Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Prominent Member

You see.....

Originally posted by Z284ever
Dodge Challenger...

See now my imagination is in high gear. Oh man, wouldn't it be cool if there were a new Trans Am type race series.

Challenger T/A , Mustang GT-350 (or should it be BOSS), Mercury Cougar, 350Z, (among others),......and of course, our favorite...Camaro Z/28, slugging it out for glory (and sales). Too bad 'Cuda AAR, Firebird and AMC Javelin won't be around.

Here's a cool Cougar Trans Am racer.
http://www.1maddmax.com/CougarTransAmcar.html

And Challenger:
http://www.historictransam.com/Drive...Challenger.htm

Here some more great pics:
http://www.historictransam.com/racep...ountry2003.htm

http://www.historictransam.com/racep...meRock2003.htm
Now you're just making me crazy!!!

I absolutely LOVE this stuff!!!! It's the main reason I beat the drum for a return of the Z/28 to it's rightful place!

A buddy of mine owns the sister car to the 1969 Sunoco Camaro....the car that wears the University of Pittsburg sponsorship (it was recently on Dream Car Garage) and he still champaigns it in the historic series.

Tell me I'm nuts, but doesn't the Austrailian Supercar series bear a striking resemblance to the old Trans Am racing?!?

Like Charlie said, with the crop of new cars coming.....we COULD have a racing series to rival NASCAR if the right pieces were put together! (What better to do with the GTO than to race in this type of competition!)

Don't get me started.........

Finally, what a more PERFECT way to re-introduce the Z/28 than to tie it into it's Trans Am past........just think, some video of the original Z/28's in Trans Am competiton and then the un-veiling of the NEW 2007 Z/28 to the theme of.... A Return to Domination ....oh man.............

Last edited by Doug Harden; 02-07-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:17 AM

I am curious. Was the door for sunglasses (above console) on the Magnum (red) damaged?It was totally waisted at NAIAS..The threads were toast.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:38 AM

Re: You see.....

Originally posted by Doug Harden

A buddy of mine owns the sister car to the 1969 Sunoco Camaro....the car that wears the University of Pittsburg sponsorship (it was recently on Dream Car Garage) and he still champaigns it in the historic series.

Is this the car?

http://www.historictransam.com/Drivers/JohnMiller.htm
Old 02-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Prominent Member

YES!

John Miller owns Richmond Performance here in Indiana and is a member of our Camaro Club.

He's asked me numerous times to help in his pits and even offered to let me take it out on warm up laps!

I'll hopefully get the chance this summer (waay too busy last summer )
Old 02-07-2004, 09:47 AM

I am considering selling my 2003 Ram Hemi for a 300c or a Magnum. But before I do that, I need to sell my POS Matrix and get the wife the Durango Hemi she wants!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Reason why I say It seems" & "Apparently" is because I still bear alot of ill-will over Daimler previously postponing and cancelling these cars after they ran out all the top Chrysler executives about 4 years ago and sucked the cash reserves dry.
Good call on that one. Things are still very much uncertain over there in Dearborn. Let's just hope that this new product gives the Chrysler group a toehold in the market and DCX follows that up with some support.

I'm a bit disappointed by a few details of the LX platform, but overall, I'd be damn happy to own one. I just gotta talk the wife into trading in her car for one (I can't give up my truck and I'm not yet willing to sell off the Impala), which would require selling her on a car that's RWD, a wagon, and has a rip-snortin' V8. I'm good, but I'm not that good
Old 02-08-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by guess who
I am curious. Was the door for sunglasses (above console) on the Magnum (red) damaged?It was totally waisted at NAIAS..The threads were toast.
Just went back today again. The little sunglass compartment was fine....but the driver's leather seat surface looked like it had gotten a few years of wear since thursday, (when it looked new!!! ).
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 AM

Last week I saw an M-plated 300C on 14 mile road in Clawson/Royal Oak, MI. Along with it I saw a couple of guys in a Camaro trying to get a better look. Made me wonder if it was someone from the board. I think the 300C looks ok in person (saw it/sat in it at NAIAS, too), though the front end is a bit much, and both LX cars are a little thick looking for me.

This morning, though, I saw a Dodge Magnum coming toward me on the road to work. It was black, and I didn't really care for it on the road. The dang LX cars look so heavy! The back windows on the wagon look TINY. :blah:
Old 02-09-2004, 10:43 AM

I saw both onSat. My friends and thought the 300C looked like a bloated Bentley:blah:

The Magnun was better than I thought. Themost interesting thing to me was how upright you sat, and how high. I expected to have to sit 'down into' it, but it was closer to an upright sedan position. VERY INTERESTING, and I think will help sales given it target demographic, which still isn't me.

...and I still don't like te front end.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Last week I saw an M-plated 300C on 14 mile road in Clawson/Royal Oak, MI. Along with it I saw a couple of guys in a Camaro trying to get a better look. Made me wonder if it was someone from the board. I think the 300C looks ok in person (saw it/sat in it at NAIAS, too), though the front end is a bit much, and both LX cars are a little thick looking for me.
The front suspension structure is extremely tall, for the front drivetrain on the AWD models I presume. Still, Honda manages to fit a couple of control arms, a strut, and a CV shaft into a very compact package, so I'm not sure that this is a great excuse.

Then there's the Hemi. That's one tall motor. Most of that height seems to come with the intake manifold.

This morning, though, I saw a Dodge Magnum coming toward me on the road to work. It was black, and I didn't really care for it on the road. The dang LX cars look so heavy! The back windows on the wagon look TINY. :blah:
The 17s and 18s you're seeing on production cars don't do justice to the shape. While I'm not an official member of the bling-bling crowd, I feel these cars need 20s wrapped with some wide tires to look "right".

I think the cars are supposed to look "heavy" - that's probably part of the appeal. Hey, they're still 3000 lbs lighter than an H2