Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chinese Exports Welcome in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

A generation ago, the arrival of Japanese cars in the U.S. was greeted with disdain and hostility. Today, the Chinese are poised to become the fourth wave of exporters of inexpensive cars to American shores — after the Germans, Japanese, and South Koreans. In contrast with the past, according to USA Today, Detroit is greeting Chinese automakers with open arms, looking forward to new investments in the state's economy.

"We want Chinese automakers and their investment here," Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm told reporters. "We want to make sure we take advantage of the global economy and are not just victimized by it."

While questions remain as to how quickly Chinese parts suppliers will be able to meet U.S. standards and what dealers will sell the cars, the bottom line to many Michigan officials is simple: teaming up could mean new jobs. What they don't want to see a repeat of is how Asian brands in the past avoided a hostile environment in Detroit by locating their U.S. plants in the south and west. Michigan officials are confident there is no reason to fear the Chinese auto industry as long as the state can take advantage of its interest in the USA.
EDIT:
I feel the need to clarify something here…

While I didn’t initially put quotation marks around my post (they are there now), it was a story taken from an automotive news service I subscribe to so just for the record, I in no way intended to imply that it was something I had written or that I necessarily agreed or disagreed with the Governor’s position.

My reason for posting it at all is that I though it worthy of discussion.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 01-24-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Michigan officials are confident there is no reason to fear the Chinese auto industry as long as the state can take advantage of its interest in the USA.
LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS

Dateline - Jan 24, 2024 - Detroit, MI
After spending the last 3 years walking to and from odd jobs, losing his home, his car, and nearly his family, Mr. Smith has finally found a better plan. He will be relocating to one of the many new "communal retreats" located in the city's heart.

"Hey, I might have traded my home, my job, and other things I used to take for granted, but now I get to live in this big hollowed-out wooden horse with all of my friends. It's free, with all these people in there together it's always warm, and best of all - I have all my friends and family with me wherever we move it!" says Mr. Smith.

This large hollowed horse is one of many donated to the greater Detroit area by Asian carmakers over the last few years. Once used as exotic decorative crates to import cars and parts, these beautifully-carved horses now have plumbing and ventilation systems, and some even have dedicated sleeping quarters. Future models are expected to have rudimentary cooking areas as well.

Mr. Smith lost his home 3 years ago after falling in arrears. After losing his job at General-Ford Motors, he was unable to obtain another full-time position that suited his tradeskills. Working odd jobs for cash, he was able to keep his family fed, but not much more. First to go was the SUV, then the family's 4-door car. After power bills became delinquent, they were disconnected from power and utilities. 2 months later, the house was foreclosed and Mr. Smith, along with his son, daughter, and wife found themselves needing shelter.

Fortunately, another family was able to acquire the home from the bank and refurbish it.
Mr. Watanabe and his family were simply ecstatic about their find. "We come here from Osaka 3 year ago. My company relocate me to become Engineering Director at Toyonda. Wife now run big business at Chinese Buffet at Main and 2nd Street thanks to interest-free loan for minority business owners, son is attending Michigan State on minority scholarship, and daughter just get hired by government to manage claims department at Veteran's Affairs. We are very happy to come here, and we love America! We are so happy, we think maybe some day we apply for citizenship here and decide to stay for good!"

In a non-related story, this reporter has discovered that the Michigan State Legislature is torn on a vote to have all signage on the highway and road system replaced. The State Senate is split 50-50 on the alternate language that is to be added to signage, with 50% wanting Chinese, and 50% wanting Japanese. The option to make the second language Spanish was squashed in the Congress by a 90% majority. Congressional leader Jing-Quo Yong stated that there were clearly not as many Latinos in Michigan as there were Asians, so Spanish was not an option.

And last to report, the 14th local Chery dealership is celebrating their 10th anniversary by moving into the old Chevrolet dealership on Superior Ave. The building has been dormant for 7 years now, and the local businesses are thrilled to have a new occupant moving in. Mr. Lang Zhang, director of operations for Chery American Automotive, LLC, said,"We are very happy to have this opportunity to serve the people of lower Detroit area. We outgrew our old building, and this one has great location, excellent access, and the price was simply too good to pass up. We look forward to seeing all of our loyal customers at our grand opening next week!" Detroit's Council Members threw in an additional $3-million in tax incentives and utility improvements to entice Chery Automotive to choose this particular site, hoping the investment will come back through local businesses and increased sales in the area.

copyright @ USA-Tommorrow / Syndictated Press
Article by: Dick Tracey
Old 01-24-2007, 07:13 AM

Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Exposed Member

Originally Posted by ProudPony
LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS

<snip>

Wow. What a thoughtful and relevant post.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Wow. Hehe.

Seriously, can you smell the irony? Michigan's economy has been in the dumps for the better part of a decade now. Why? The domestic auto industry is suffering at the hands of the import brands. And now, the people of Michigan have to court these very same brands to build here. Honestly, I don't think it is very likely. Michigan still has the stigma of being a Big 3 stronghold, and this (along with the UAW) scares off most potential development.

I'm still waiting for that big turnaround Governor Granholm promised us during her first campaign....and her re-election campaign.....
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM

I don't live in the Detroit area anymore, but if I did, there'd be at least one person there who does NOT welcome Chinese exports.

Some guys here at work were talking about this, and Granholm's bs attitude about it. One of them said that it is like the old Bobby Knight saying "if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." That seems to be the attitude that many are taking w.r.t. this Chinese car issue...Hey, we know you are getting ready to royally screw us (after we showed you how to build cars in the first place and you flat out copied others), let us welcome you with open arms to our humble city...

I kinda wish the folks at NAIAS had just told them to get lost in the first place...

Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 AM

It's like having a city built to 100% accommodate handicaps, and inviting them into your city with open arms. But at the end of the day, all you've got are a bunch of handicaps running around .

[runs, ducks, and hides!!]
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Pls less KKK, thx.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Pls less KKK, thx.
Are you implying that because I don't want Chinese imports here, I am somehow equivalent to the KKK?

If so, kindly STFU. If not, never mind, I must have misinterpreted your post.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 AM

I think he was referring to ProudPony's "news story". The Chinese stereotypes weren't needed, but it did illustrate his point.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I think he was referring to ProudPony's "news story". The Chinese stereotypes weren't needed, but it did illustrate his point.
Oh, I hadn't read Proud's post yet.

But when I did, I liked it.

As for the subject matter...

Old 01-24-2007, 09:42 AM

I'm no analyst, (although I like to play one on this site), but I see the Chinese applying pressure on the NA auto market in sequence.

First, they'll put most of their competitive pressure on Hyundai and Kia. Hyunadai will spend resources countering the Chinese, but eventually they'll tire of fighting for the low/no profit entry segment and will shift their emphasis on segments which are currently owned by say Toyota. Toyota will of course counter and try to protect it's market segments viciously, but eventually will realise that the segments it really needs to own are those dominated by GM/Ford/DCX.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Toyota will of course counter and try to protect it's market segments viciously, but eventually will realise that the segments it really needs to own are those dominated by GM/Ford/DCX.
What segments would those be? Other than large trucks/SUVs, in which Toyota is already about to launch a very worthy competitor.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
What segments would those be? Other than large trucks/SUVs, in which Toyota is already about to launch a very worthy competitor.
Those for sure. Imagine if Toyota had to make that it's NA bread and butter though, which I don't believe is currently the case.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:11 AM

If the choice is between:

1) Laid-off former US-automaker employees having to move/retrain/enter new industries/etc

or

2) Bringing in non-US employers to Detroit so that some former US-automaker employees get new jobs that use their skills and experience

which would you prefer?

I have no opinion either way on Gov Granholm generally, but she has chosen option 2, and I can see why. It seems a far more grown-up response to reality than sticking one's head in the snow and wishing it was 1970 again, which as far as I can tell is where ProudPony et al are coming down.

Quick Reply: Chinese Exports Welcome in Detroit