Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy Volt vs. Nissan Leaf Aug. 2012 sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Chevy Volt vs. Nissan Leaf Aug. 2012 sales

GM sells 2,831 Chevy Volts in August, Nissan sells 685 Leafs

So I think we can officially call the Volt the winner. They have been crushing the Leaf in sales for a while now.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Re: Chevy Volt vs. Nissan Leaf Aug. 2012 sales

The dealership I bought my Mustang from, also owned the Nissan dealership right next door. They had at least half a dozen Leafs sitting out front. I looked at them in person and while it's cool to be all electric, batteries aren't there yet.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM

I'd like to know how many of those Volt sales were from California. Apparently Californians are eating em up like hot cakes.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
I'd like to know how many of those Volt sales were from California. Apparently Californians are eating em up like hot cakes.
It's because they can get car pool lane access. A car that gets great mileage is one thing but one that can use the car pool lane and cut down on time in traffic is quite another. Big selling point.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
I'd like to know how many of those Leaf sales were from California. Apparently Californians are eating em up like hot cakes.
I fixed that for you. Hate to see Nissan not getting its proper due on a pro GM forum .
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM

If I were in the market (meaning had/have to) for a hybrid - the Volt would be my choice since its less quirky compared to the rest.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Ah BS everyone knows the Volt is a huge failure!! Just ask the right wingers! lol
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Ah BS everyone knows the Volt is a huge failure!! Just ask the right wingers! lol
Politics aside, judging a car as a "success" based solely on the fact that it's hammering a completely impractical car as its main competition is a questionable exercise. I'm not saying Volt is a "failure", but only GM really knows how "successful" the program has been. IIRC they have always been a bit coy about sales expectations for the car, and I don't know that I've ever seen a unit cost estimate (is Volt actually a profitable vehicle?)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Politics aside, judging a car as a "success" based solely on the fact that it's hammering a completely impractical car as its main competition is a questionable exercise. I'm not saying Volt is a "failure", but only GM really knows how "successful" the program has been. IIRC they have always been a bit coy about sales expectations for the car, and I don't know that I've ever seen a unit cost estimate (is Volt actually a profitable vehicle?)
I don't think anyone ever expected the Volt to be a profitable vehicle, at least not in this generation. But, I don't think calling it a success is out of the question either.

I think the numbers GM had initially planned were far too high, just like Nissan's plans were. GM gave expectation for sales for the first and 2nd year for the car, which were far too high and have backed away from them. But, the volume of sales are higher than several other cars out there on the market. GM is getting the engineering data it wanted from the vehicle, sales are solid (including against the plug-in prius).

I for one am interested in seeing what the 2nd generation of it is like.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM

I've seen far more Volts than Leafs here in the Bay Area (California). Come to think of it, I've seen just as many Teslas and Fiskers as I have Leafs.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Plague
I for one am interested in seeing what the 2nd generation of it is like.
As am I. Bottom line though, for Volt to really deliver on the promise it has to be priced more like a Prius. Hopefully with advancing technology it will be possible sooner rather than later.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
As am I. Bottom line though, for Volt to really deliver on the promise it has to be priced more like a Prius. Hopefully with advancing technology it will be possible sooner rather than later.
Had they used a different battery tech, it would be more like the regular prius. Even the plug in prius, which uses 1/4 the size of a battery as the Volt, cost 32k minimum, and has fewer features. Eventually, I would like to see the Volt at that price point with everything else it has, without rebates.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM

I finally saw a Leaf in the SW Houston area just last weekend. Had seen plenty of Volts before that (even at the gun range).
Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 PM

I still have not seen a single Nissan Leaf on the road. I've seen plenty of Volts though, probably 1 a week, and no it isn't the same guy, I see different color cars.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I still have not seen a single Nissan Leaf on the road. I've seen plenty of Volts though, probably 1 a week, and no it isn't the same guy, I see different color cars.
I have only seen one, and it was fairly recent. I think the further you live from a city, the less likely you will be to see one. What is the range on them now? So many people live in the burbs and drive into an urban area for work. The leaf probably couldn't make it one way. If it did, I doubt you can charge it at work.

Quick Reply: Chevy Volt vs. Nissan Leaf Aug. 2012 sales