Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy Hints at New Namplate in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Re: Chevy Hints at New Namplate in 2013

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that one...
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
I don't think the Impala name has a negative connotation in the industry. It was the 13th best selling car last year.
I didn't say negative, just that it seems to be very fleet-oriented. (And, of course, the automotive publications will fall all over themselves to bash the hell out of the current car when the new one comes along...)

I too would expect the Epsilon-based Impala to keep the Impala name, but one never knows when it comes to automotive marketing folks...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM

I'm thinking it won't be a civilian version of the vanilla Caprice. While the shape is close to the "template", the new rules for 2013 allow manufacturers to put some brand identity into the new cars. Both Ford and Dodge have done this with their 2013 entries. A NASCAR version of the Caprice just doesn't look that much different than the current car.

I like the suggestion of the Chevy 100 sedan. It definitely was not the XTS based 2014 Impala that we've seen in spy photos, and while we didn't see enough to see the Chevrolet "brand identity", we did see enough to know it will be different.

The key factors are will it be sized between Malibu and Impala, or Malibu and Cruze? Secondly, will it be FWD or RWD? Heck they already have the Alpha platform developed, so you never know... however, I suspect we've already seen a teaser of what the nose might look like.

Last edited by jg95z28; 03-14-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: photo added
Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Chevrolet to replace Impala in NASCAR for 2013, new production model hinted

Rumors are that this is a new sedan based on the Commodore which is slated for a complete refresh around the same time.
I don't know what GM's planning as far as names go. The the car that was to be a Z28 changed to ZL1 almost at the last moment, so I don't predict names anymore.

But..... I think I can say there's new 2 sedans coming up in Chevy showrooms.

One is the 4 door sedan that's Impala's replacement.......

The other I don't suspect is very hard to figure out.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I don't know what GM's planning as far as names go. The the car that was to be a Z28 changed to ZL1 almost at the last moment, so I don't predict names anymore.

But..... I think I can say there's new 2 sedans coming up in Chevy showrooms.

One is the 4 door sedan that's Impala's replacement.......

The other I don't suspect is very hard to figure out.
It makes sense when you think about it. Chevrolet needs a smallish RWD/AWD sedan more than a coupe. There's been enough evidence to support this both with the Code 130R concept and the mystery sedan seen in "Chevy 100".

Plus when you look at the nose of the Code 130R, it has a similar style and shape as Ford's next gen Fusion. The concept's greenhouse can easily be refined to be more NASCAR-like while still maintaining some uniqueness.

As far as names go, while I'd rather see a rehash of Belair or Biscayne over others (Chevelle, Caprice, etc.), I think they'll probably go with a new name altogether. There was that recent rumor someone posted (here or elsewhere) about GM trademarking the name "chicane". When you think about it, Chevy Chicane has a nice ring to it, and it fits with the motorsports image (albeit there are few road courses run in NASCAR).

But then as Malibu is becoming the face of Chevrolet's mainstream sedans (with Impala going upscale), it could still end up being the car (at least in name) that we see in NASCAR, as it still has a similar shape.

Personally I'm hoping for an Alpha sedan based off the Code 130R concept. Backed with a turbo 4 and optional V6, I think it could be a real winner. After it hits the streets then GM can toy with the idea of adding a coupe and/or wagon version, but to be successful, they need to start with a sedan, and then roll from there.

I'd actually consider this "Chevy Chicane" for my daily driver.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM

I'm guessing this would be a fairly low volume "Caprice?"
Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM

??
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by graham
??
2013 Chevy Malibu.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Whoops... Sorry.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM

Impala is moving upscale, which doesn't really fit the Nascar image, but when you think about it, neither does the current car that is the fleet/rental queen but oh well. I really don't think using a "model" name in Nascar is really important anymore.... its just a decal. They should just use Chevrolet name on these cars since nothing about them is anything close to production cars today.

The posting on Chevy's facebook page today implied that Chevy would have a new car in Nascar next year, but not necessarily a new name.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 03-15-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 PM

My thought on this is that Alpha will Cadillac only for at least a year or two. Making the Alpha a 3 Series chaser likely has been the engineering focus of the platform. Now that that is done, I would think Cadillac needs a year or two to bask in it..while also, engineering takes some cost out the platform. 130r has some design work that still needs to be done. I think a lot of people can say "Oh..cool!". And while I like it..I can't see my self spending say $30K plus on a 4 cylinder 3200lb coupe. Just not me.

About a year ago, GM was talking about bringing the El Camino back. We have not heard anything about it since. Now they are talking about a new car in Nascar, but it is a new nameplate. It is obviously not the El Camino...so either they decided to bring the Commodore back here, or both car coming.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
It makes sense when you think about it. Chevrolet needs a smallish RWD/AWD sedan more than a coupe. There's been enough evidence to support this both with the Code 130R concept and the mystery sedan seen in "Chevy 100".

Plus when you look at the nose of the Code 130R, it has a similar style and shape as Ford's next gen Fusion. The concept's greenhouse can easily be refined to be more NASCAR-like while still maintaining some uniqueness..
I don't see GM doing a small FWD/AWD sedan and having it in showrooms within the next 18 months. Chevy's Alpha based cars aren't due till after 2014 model year, and possibly not till 2016.

So...

if the upcoming (or current) Impala is not going to be run in NASCAR next year...

....and GM doesn't seem to be working on any other all new sedans for Chevy that would be done by the end of the year....

... and this car is going to be something not currently in Chevrolet showrooms...

Personally, I can think of only one possibility.

Last edited by guionM; 03-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
IThe posting on Chevy's facebook page today implied that Chevy would have a new car in Nascar next year, but not necessarily a new name.
Their press release says:

"DETROIT – The countdown to the debut of Chevrolet's next NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racecar is underway. Chevrolet announced today that for the 2013 season, Team Chevy will be racing a vehicle based on a new nameplate to the brand's lineup."
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I really don't think using a "model" name in Nascar is really important anymore.... its just a decal. They should just use Chevrolet name on these cars since nothing about them is anything close to production cars today.
NASCAR is changing the rules for 2013 allowing manufacturers to incorporate "more" brand styling than they currently have. Both Ford and Dodge have shown their entries and Toyota is testing a heavily camouflaged 2013 Camry.

While they still don't exactly match production cars, they'll be a lot closer in looks than they have been for years.

They aren't just "sticker cars" anymore.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I don't see GM doing a small FWD/AWD sedan and having it in showrooms within the next 18 months. Chevy's Alpha based cars aren't due till after 2014 model year, and possibly not till 2016.

So...

if the upcoming (or current) Impala is not going to be run in NASCAR next year...

....and GM doesn't seem to be working on any other all new sedans for Chevy that would be done by the end of the year....

... and this car is going to be something not currently in Chevrolet showrooms...

Personally, I can think of only one possibility.
I was talking about a Chevy Alpha sedan. I could very easily see Chevrolet using a 2014 Chevy "Alpha" as its NASCAR name-piece for 2013. Its not uncommon for them to show a "future product" as a pre-production prototype well in advance of it being ready for the showroom.

But, if the Chevy "Alpha" doesn't come out until 2015 or 2016, then the obvious choice if not Impala would be Malibu. Camaro is not going to be used in NASCAR... at least not in the Sprint Cup series... other than as a pacecar.

Quick Reply: Chevy Hints at New Namplate in 2013