Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevrolet needs a Malibu coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
Because all 4 of them are getting a Maxima.

Seriously, the market for this is very very small. I think it would have to be a minimal investment, which means Buick.
Maybe...just maybe the market is small because no one has made a serious entry in a while.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Maybe...just maybe the market is small because no one has made a serious entry in a while.
Maybe...just maybe the market is smaller than you imagine. You are taking your personal preference and trying to extrapolate that out to the entire population. You are not the average consumer and until you can see the market as a non-enthusiast, then you should leave the product planning to those who do.

Do you honestly think that every big auto maker is missing out on a HUGE number of sales by not offering a highly styled midsize coupe?

Seriously step back and look at this rationally. Sedans are better styled, more luxurious, and higher volume than ever. A coupe is merely a sedan with an ergonomic issue to most people, sure they offer some styling options that enhance the look to some but to most people they are seen as selfish and poor choices for those with kids or those who expect passengers often.

The only 2 midsize volume coupes on the market are the Altima and the Accord, combined they sell in lower numbers than the V6 Camaro or Mustang and likely Challenger. Now where should GM spend this money on? Perhaps the 2012 interior upgrade? Perhaps in financing the IPO.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Chevy had a midsize-ish FWD coupe, it was the Monte Carlo. And while that car had its issues (love-it-or-leave-it styling and the aging W-platform) I think it underwhelmed in terms of Chevy's expectations.

I'll go along with everyone else and say a Cruze (or other small) coupe is needed to replace Cobalt coupe. At least younger buyers can sacrifice 2 doors, and more of that market would prefer to do so for a sportier look.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I'll go along with everyone else and say a Cruze (or other small) coupe is needed to replace Cobalt coupe. At least younger buyers can sacrifice 2 doors, and more of that market would prefer to do so for a sportier look.
That's what I think too.

A 2-door sport sedan Malibu sounds interesting; but I don't think it'd sell. I'd rather them just put a manual transmission in the existing Malibu, as it's already a good looking car IMO.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Koz2
That's what I think too.

A 2-door sport sedan Malibu sounds interesting; but I don't think it'd sell. I'd rather them just put a manual transmission in the existing Malibu, as it's already a good looking car IMO.
Now we're talking, LNF too.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
There are plenty of people who would not buy a Camaro for any of the below reasons-

-RWD
-Relatively expensive if you want any content
-styling too over the top
-muscle car image = extrvavegent and wasteful to greenies
- V6 still has more power than most need or want.
FWIW, I consider myself a "greenie" and I still like V8 powered American cars as much as the next guy (or gal).

I'm not suggesting those folks buy a Camaro. I'm suggesting that a Cruze coupe would be far more appealing to more buyers than a Malibu coupe; however as others have pointed out, there's not much of a market for a mid-size FWD sporty coupe in the first place.