Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is that a Chery, or a Chrysler?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:32 AM

Thumbs down Is that a Chery, or a Chrysler?!?!

DaimlerChrysler, Chery close to car deal.

"An option being discussed is for Chery to provide the models and make revisions at the request of DaimlerChrysler (NYSECX - news), while the cars would be made at Chery plants in China, the source said."

"Funding for the project would be provided mostly by DaimlerChrysler, the source said, adding that models earmarked for the U.S. market would carry a Chrysler brand."

I don't know where to begin ranting about this...

Benz already has the Smart car line in Europe, which are undoubtedly the best micros on the earth right now. I've ridden all over Germany in the Micro-Benz and the Smart cars both, and they are really awesome little rides.
WHY IN THE FLIP DO THEY EVEN WANT TO LOOK AT CHERY?!?!
FOR IMPORTING TO THE USA MARKETS NO LESS!

I posted images and my opinion on the Chery from my last trip in China on this very board - just a few months ago in fact. You can see their latest models RIGHT THERE. They are OK cars, DIRT CHEAP, questionable durability. A 2006 model car with an AM/FM/cassette player and analog tuner? Cardboard door panels?
Yeesh.

My opinion of Daimler just took another huge jump down the ladder.
With Mercedes-Benz' quality sliding down over the last few years, Chryslers sales starting to tank here in the states, and all the press in the last 2 weeks about DC's dealers not able to move stock - this was TOTALLY not the headline I wanted to see.

Lastly, if this is a plot for DC to get their product into China - it ain't gonna work. GM, Volkswagen, Audi, Ford, and Toyota are already there, and have footholds. Honda couldn't crack the shell, nor could several other European brands like Volvo or BMW - they are coming in slowly through their parent companies, but they are a decade behind, and have to gettheir brands recognized - which is a tough thing to do over there.
Also, the Chinese government is making it even harder for outsiders to bring their wares into China as imports, and getting permits to build factories is no better. The government is putting their domestic corporations first... if - and only if - the polution, employment, and payments are all within acceptable levels does the government consider letting outsiders build such huge facilities in their populated trade zones. The next plant that my company is working on (due to open in March 2008) was originally permitted by the government back in 2001 - otherwise we would not get the permits to build there now. In fact, we are looking at Malaysia for our next big complex due to the current politics in China.

Geez... what are the folks at D/C thinking?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM

Re: Is that a Chery, or a Chrysler?!?!

Originally Posted by ProudPony
WHY IN THE FLIP DO THEY EVEN WANT TO LOOK AT CHERY?!?!
FOR IMPORTING TO THE USA MARKETS NO LESS!
Probably because Smart is losing a tonne of money for DCX. But if they try to fix that by cheapening the car and the quality drops, they risk doing (more) damage to their reputation. However DCX doesn't seem to mind whoring out the Chrysler name, so they build cheap cars with Chery and sell them as Chryslers.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Well in order to make even a negligible profit on a super cheap car you're going to need to make it somewhere super cheap.

I believe there is talk about bringing the smart cars here but by the time all is said and done it will probably be the choice between an 30k smart car with no options or a regular midsize car.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Well in order to make even a negligible profit on a super cheap car you're going to need to make it somewhere super cheap.

I believe there is talk about bringing the smart cars here but by the time all is said and done it will probably be the choice between an 30k smart car with no options or a regular midsize car.
Indeed DCX has announced plans to bring the Smart here from Europe as early as next year. Again, makes me wonder why DCX wants to look in China for a product to put their name on.

Does "Yugo" still mean anything to the young crowd these days, or has it been totally erased from the history books now?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
They're not quite that expensive. Smart cars are sold in Canada and start at under $17,000 CAD. For about the same money you can get a base Civic or Cobalt, either which would be infinitely more pleasurable and practical. But then you wouldn't be able to make a statement.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by R377
They're not quite that expensive. Smart cars are sold in Canada and start at under $17,000 CAD. For about the same money you can get a base Civic or Cobalt, either which would be infinitely more pleasurable and practical. But then you wouldn't be able to make a statement.
Don't the Smart Diesels get like 60+ MPG?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Don't the Smart Diesels get like 60+ MPG?
I believe so. But they are also noisy and very underpowered; I think their top speed is something like 75mph (which presents safety issues IMO). And there's no room in them. I'd sooner have a car that uses a bit more fuel but is more safe, practical and comfortable.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 PM

This is all for the Hornet??

And what happened to Delorians plan to bring Chery here???
Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
...And what happened to Delorians plan to bring Chery here???
I think plans hit a small road bump.... Delorean died.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 PM

I thought it was the company that was doing it not the man himself...ohh well..to bad..lol
Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
And what happened to Delorians plan to bring Chery here???
Bricklin was the guy trying to import Cherys, not Delorean.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 AM

doh...what happened o him they both die??? lol
Old 10-02-2006, 08:57 PM

Chery? Boy, that's a mistake. Why not continue the seemingly growing relationship with VW. Their NA HQ's are more/less across the street from each other so they could walk to the planner meetings.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mich84
Chery? Boy, that's a mistake. Why not continue the seemingly growing relationship with VW. Their NA HQ's are more/less across the street from each other so they could walk to the planner meetings.
I couldn't agree with you more.
As I stated before, I have seen, riden in, and studied the Chery while in China, and I am not impressed with their product - it's OK, but it's far from "world-class".
It's just not something I'd want to rebadge with a name belonging to Daimler-Chrysler.

This proposal still makes no sense to me.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:56 AM

I hope DCX makes safty a very high priority.

Quick Reply: Is that a Chery, or a Chrysler?!?!