Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Check out this GTO concept

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 06:15 PM

If they go with my front end design ( http://ohok.com/gtofront.jpg ) or something similar which has a full length grill with a horizontal divide line int he middle, it'll be a whole lot easier to transition to Dutch Injun's concept for a next-gen GTO. I hope someone at GM is listening.. please DO NOT use the Grand Prix front grill. It's been done before and we're sick of it being rehashed so many times.. something fresh please!!
Old 06-24-2002, 06:31 PM

I like those a lot. Actually has some heritage of the GTO mixed in it, unlike the grand am with an LS1, uh, I mean the GTO they ARE bringing over here.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:54 PM

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HuJass:
GOATCRAZY,
GM CAN do that, probably better.
But that's a whole new car. It's not feasible to dump close to a billion dollars into a new car & platform for targeted sales of around 20,000 units. Just not gonna happen. Plus, what a better way of testing the market with minimal investment.
I'm sure when GM goes to the drawing board for the homegrown Goat, it probably will be a bit more expressive than the 2004, but we have to wait. I think the 2004 is a GREAT stop-gap until then.
And there's no way they were going to reskin the Monaro. It just costs too much money.

It's fine if you don't like the 2004. I think everybody here knows how you feel.
We get it.
</font>
I'm with ya on this. Everyone keeps forgetting that just only 5 months ago, it seemed everyone inside GM was giving reasons why this car would never make it to the US. Just 2 months ago, some of you were still in denial over Monaro actually coming over. Then there was the "no way is it comming here in a year and a half" crowd. Now there is the "it's a POS because it doesn't look like a GTO" crowd. If I was one of the people who put out the extra time & effort to make this car happen & bring honest muscle cars back to the US, I'd say "to hell with it, let em keep FWD".

But then I'd also remember that going through sites like this a year ago, there were alot of people wanting a car like this. I'd also remember ALL of GTO's history, not just the very end. I'd remember that GTO was simply an engine package on a Pontiac Tempest and later the LeMans. That Tempest/LeMans/GTO styling cues came from the Pontiac styling bin of that day. That saying a GTO should look a certain way is like saying a Chevelle SS396 had a distinctive look over the standard Chevelle.

It's OK not to like the looks of the new GTO. As I said in another thread, styling is subjective.

But GTO isn't the "Judge", or a bunch of add-ons (that idea came from Plymouth via the "Road Runner"). GTO was an engine/suspension package. That's it. There were a phalynx of options you could order, such as the famous hood tach. But looking at the orgional GTO and the current one, the key difference is that the current one's looks are based on a higher grade car: a Grand Prix coupe instead of a low buck economy car, the Tempest.

It came to market fast. People who are car nuts made a good business case to NOT wait 3 or 4 years to bring out a RWD performance car. This group demonstrated that the changeover to US standards could be done in a cost effective way, even when "experts" at GMNA said no way. If it wasn't for their efforts, the fastest GM car this time next year outside Corvette would be STS and GTP in that order (neither cheap). So give GM a little slack.

To those thinking that GTO should & must fail: What do you honestly think will happen to any future planned RWD muscle cars and the group of car guys pushing for them if GTO flops?

Yes, this includes future F-bodies as well.

Old 06-24-2002, 09:19 PM

Talking

Hey, I want the GTO to sell out in record time! I just wish it was more distinctively styled. That's all. I swear.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.