Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Challenger a "go" with 6.1 and 6 speed only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 AM

Re: Challenger a "go" with 6.1 and 6 speed only?

around 40K
Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
No way. The Magnum sells 52,000 cars, and it has a bigger potential market than the Challenger.

GTO when it dipped down to $29K got up to 2200 that month (about 27,000 annual rate w/o seasonal adjustments). Mustang is smaller, sportier, and sold through far more dealers, and offered with a stick, and the GT version is running about 90-100K annually.

hmmm, thought the Magnum was higher than that.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 AM

I don't get the 'offer the 5.7 engine too'
WTF thats like offering the 305 and the 350 in the 3rd gen Camaro's.
They both got about the same mpg, they both weighed the same, they both costed about the same in the z28, but the 305 had much crappier HP and potential and has a much lower resale.

So now you want DCX to put in a 5.7L hemi which gets craptacular mpg, has less HP, will weigh about the same but have a much lower resale. Not to mention the added costs of having an assembly line that will have to install both.

It's retarded. There is no point to putting in a 5.7L, because they is no advantage for DCX and none for the consumer either.
Don't throw out "well it will cost less.' BS it costs DCX the same to put in either engine, why would they want to sell a cheaper version that still costs them the same to make, thus cutting down their profit margin.

As for as the no auto offered thing. HAHA dodge can't make a tranny to save it's life, There auto's in thier trucks have been failing religiously for years. The 6-speed used in the viper is just a t56 that they can't take credit for making, but at least we know it will stand the abuse.
I wouldn't trust an auto behind any car they make that you know people will run hard.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I don't get the 'offer the 5.7 engine too'
WTF thats like offering the 305 and the 350 in the 3rd gen Camaro's.
They both got about the same mpg, they both weighed the same, they both costed about the same in the z28, but the 305 had much crappier HP and potential and has a much lower resale.

So now you want DCX to put in a 5.7L hemi which gets craptacular mpg, has less HP, will weigh about the same.

It's retarded. There is no point to putting in a 5.7L, because they is no advantage for DCX and none for the consumer either.
Don't throw out "well it will cost less.'
You say about the same gas mileage. 305's got better gas milage.
Yeah the 350 was faster but was automatic only a major drawback. A 215-230hp 305 5 speed was no slouch.

A 5.7L Hemi Challenger would still get better mileage then the 6.1L which I don't beleive has DOD. Think CAFE here, very relevant in todays automotive world.

Say a 5.7L Challnger weighs 4000lbs. (smaller rims, less equitment) With 350 hp thats still 11.4lbs per hp. And the 5.7L hasn't had a real powerboost or anything yet--maybe it'll be bumped to 360-370hp.

Cost less to make? Engine could be a bit cheaper cause the volume of the 5.7L is much greater. but not much, your probably right.

However, they would charge less and that is an advantage or the consumer.

Lots of people would come into the showroom and drool at the SRT8 6.1L. There would be some people who could not swing it but by not offering a lower priced 5.7L and not lose sales.

It would be a dull world if all IROCs had were 350 automatics. I would never have bought one. Variety is good. I thnk Dodge would be making a huge mistake by having only a 6.1L Challenger. And they need an automatic as well.

Otherwise they are building a very small volume niche, botique car.

Last edited by 305fan; 02-13-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 305fan
Otherwise they are building a very small volume niche, botique car.
Thats exactly what it'll be. The consensus here is thats a bad thing. I dont get it to be honest. Who said Challenger has to be readily available and affordable relatively to everyone? Like its a Dodge Camaro/Mustang competitor or something. Although we dont know 100% this is what the Challenger will ultimately be, everyone seems so upset that Challenger wont be pure pony car in price, weight and model offerings. Why?

Well I say, so what. Challenger doesnt have to sell at astronomical volumes to bring profit to the LX car line and DCX, so therefor if it costs $40k and is SRT8 trim only with 6.1 and 6-speed, cool . Hey while we're at it, where's the V6 Viper at? You know not every Viper fan likes not having a cheaper V6 automatic available. Like I said earlier in the thread that I support this 100%. I think the outcry has more to do with that we're interested in the car but we don't want to pay the necessary money for a non-watered down, hi-performing and well executed package which this seems and I can expect to be. I can see this car making many a thousand MOPAR fans very happy without ruining resale and having exclusivity in owning the car. 300, Magnum and Charger are covering the costs to make a completely kick *** Challenger possible. It doesnt have an automatic, it doesnt have the 5.7, it doesnt have a V6, and so on. Dont forget that the other 3 LX variants have a V6, offer the 5.7 AND 6.1 and most dissapointingly do not offer a manual transmission. Plus they're mainly going to be cheaper in price! Thats Challengers negatives covered by 3 cars right there minus sheet metal and styling which will be of no importance because you must have a V6 auto or lesser V8 option first and foremost.

In closing, if you want an all out performance machine quite likely to satisfy your driving pleasure day in and day out, sounds like Challenger is for you. If you're throwing a temper tantrum and holding your breath because it may not offer an auto or a myriad of engine options. Then buy a 300, Magnum or Charger because Challenger is not for you nor intended to be. Those other cars can cater to you and can be bought today. Better yet, buy a Camaro when it debuts because we all know it'll have an automatic and at least 2 V8 options for less.

Last edited by CamaroBoy96Z28; 02-13-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM

Maybe they will wait for the LY chassis launch to put the car into rull production?