Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cash-for-Clunkers trade-ins account for 7 percent of Hyundai sales in first week

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 AM

Cash-for-Clunkers trade-ins account for 7 percent of Hyundai sales in first week

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/10/c...f-hyundai-sal/
So far, Hyundai has been the only automaker in the U.S. to accept early trade-ins under the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), or Cash-for-Clunkers (CFC), program. Most are waiting for the U.S. Department of Transportation to finalize the program's rules and regulations by July 24th, but Hyundai decided to start early since the program covers all transactions dating back to July 1st. Since the government hasn't set up a reimbursement process for the rebates that range from $3,500 to $4,500 just yet, Hyundai is floating its participating dealers short-term loans in the meantime.

After just one week of accepting Cash-for-Clunkers trade-ins, Hyundai has revealed that these deals added up to 7 percent of its overall sales and could reach 10 percent by month's end. The most interesting statistics, however, are what's being traded in. While Hyundai doesn't break it down by model, according to its numbers, 32 percent were Ford vehicles, 23 percent Dodge and the rest were from Lexus, Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz. Keep in mind, all these customers are trading in for a Hyundai, and 41 percent chose the Elantra! The Sonata came in second with 29 percent of CFC sales and the Accent third with 16 percent.

Judging by this early report on how the CFC program affects sales, it will be very interesting to see what happens after the hammer drops on July 24th and all automakers begin participating. The effect on July sales will likely be small, so we'll have to wait until the end of August to see if Cash-for-Clunkers has really made a difference. For Hyundai, however, it already has.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM

what a shame. this program should have been limited to purchases of american cars only. people trading in their "clunker" american car for a POS import. how american!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 AM

this makes me feel good that this is being funded by tax payer money. Thats a big FAIL for the gov't after they just bailed out GM and Chrysler. This could have been used to give the big three an advantage over imports.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ad356
what a shame. this program should have been limited to purchases of american cars only. people trading in their "clunker" american car for a POS import. how american!!!
The Sonata is built in Alabama. I guess thats not "American" enough for you. Oh right its only an American car if its headquarters is located in the US and they pay US taxes. Wait no its about American workers, no wait its about corporations getting all corporationy; wait what? Ah hell, Buy American! Yeah thats it. Down with the imports built in the US by US labor. Yeah!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 AM

It may be assembled in the US, but much of its development and suppliers are still most likely outside of the US. If you want a mainly American car buy a Camry.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696565
Old 07-12-2009, 05:46 PM

For what it is, Cash for Clunkers in basically designed to talk older trucks, SUV's and large cars off the road and replace them with smaller more fuel efficient cars...

A reality is that the VAST MAJORITY of the trucks and SUV's that qualify for the program and are old enough that they are worth less than $4500 are from the Big 3...

Hyundai is pulling forward some sales with their strategy. It would be nice if GM could do the same.

One thing I noticed is that if I wanted to use my 94Z for this program, (it qualifies with combined 18mpg) the only cars that GM makes that I can get the $4500 credit for are the Aveo and the Cobalt XFE... In the small car game, GM isn't even competitive with Hyundai... Even the last generation Elantra was hands down better than the current Cobalt... The Cruze can't arrive fast enough...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM

I cornered Sandy Levin here in Detroit about why the C4C program is available on imports. It was the basic politician talk, but I can see through that since I'm aiming to be one myself.

In short - he wouldn't admit that the focus of the program veered of course. Hey, it's what happens when the Democrats want to bail GM out. They have to buckle to Republican requests on other issues - like this one.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ponykillr
The Sonata is built in Alabama. I guess thats not "American" enough for you. Oh right its only an American car if its headquarters is located in the US and they pay US taxes. Wait no its about American workers, no wait its about corporations getting all corporationy; wait what? Ah hell, Buy American! Yeah thats it. Down with the imports built in the US by US labor. Yeah!
If you do minimal research on the subject, you'll find that Big Three vehicles have a higher percentage of locally (North American) sourced parts. You'll also find that the Big Three employ more people here and that there is a huge difference in where the profits end up.

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Even the last generation Elantra was hands down better than the current Cobalt...
Really? Where did you get this information?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z28CamaroPower!
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...e-#page-anchor
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...e-#page-anchor
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM

If you do minimal research on the subject, you'll find that Big Three vehicles have a higher percentage of locally (North American) sourced parts. You'll also find that the Big Three employ more people here and that there is a huge difference in where the profits end up.

I agree that in general, the big 3 use more north american sorced parts and labor than the foreign name plates. Though it is somewhat model specific.

If you've spent much time behind the wheel of a Cobalt and an Elantra, you wouldn't ask the question... The cobalt is much better than the Cav it replaced, but the Elantra has been much better in virtually every way since the XD models came out.

I am very hopeful that the Cruze will close that gap dramatically. I'd be really impressed if it was actually better than the competition, but I think it's more realistic to hope that it will be top 5 in its segment (in terms of quality not sales). That would be a huge improvement over the Cobalt.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 PM

You need to do some minimal research on the term profit. The "big" three of course don't understand the concept of profit either, so I can't rag you too much I guess. But since you brought it up, I'll point you in the right direction in not thinking that profit "ends up" in the hands of employees.

Also, by your logic, it is simply the aggregate number of Americans employed that makes the product "American", superb.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Anyone break the numbers down? Hyundai sells ~38K cars/month. 7% of that is 2,660 cars. One week's worth is 665 cars.

That's not exactly earth shattering numbers.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Anyone break the numbers down? Hyundai sells ~38K cars/month. 7% of that is 2,660 cars. One week's worth is 665 cars.

That's not exactly earth shattering numbers.
They're starting this about 3 weeks early....so assuming more and more people figure this out thats 2-3,000 cars before the other Car makers even get started!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Our local Dodge dealers started advertising this past weekend for the cash for clunkers trade ins. Hyundai is also advertising for it with "8 models that qualify."
Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 AM

It's been awhile since I've read the CARS program but to get the $4,500 your next vehicle needs to get 10 MPG. The $3,500 starts with 4 MPG for cars and I think you have to get 2 MPG better for SUV/Truck level 1.

If I read that correctly, you could turn in a 18 MPG car for a 20 MPG SUV/Truck. If this is true, I think it will swing back in Ford/GM and Toyata's favor. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a bit since I read the bill and it keeps changing.

Quick Reply: Cash-for-Clunkers trade-ins account for 7 percent of Hyundai sales in first week