Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Can Toyota Build Cars of Passion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Can Toyota Build Cars of Passion?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32026255
The question was blunt.

The answer telling.

Yesterday as I sat with a handful of other reporters for a one hour chat with Yoshi Inaba, the new President of Toyota North America talked about Toyota building cars that evoke passion.

Mr. Inaba was asked how Toyota would bring more heat to a line-up that many feel is lukewarm. Yoshi Inaba chuckled and said there is passion behind many Toyota models, even if not everyone sees it.

It makes one wonder if Toyota needs to become edgier in order to shake itself out of its doldrums in the U.S. With sales down 37.5% this year, Toyota is no longer profitable in the North America. It's also slipped from #2 to #3 in sales. Sure, you can blame this on the recession and point out many other mass market auto makers are also in the tank. Still, there can be no doubt Toyota is no longer on the roll that defined its success from the early '90's through '08.

Now it's up to Yoshi Inaba and the new CEO of Toyota, Akio Toyoda, to figure out how to get the Japanese auto maker back on track. So far, there are few concrete plans, only a broad strategy. Mr. Toyoda wants decisions for Toyota North America made by his leaders here in the states. Mr. Inaba wants to make those decisions faster. And both men want more passion in their product line. On paper all three make sense. But can Toyota build the models that make American car buyers say, "I gotta have that."?

I think so.

Yes, I know many of you believe Toyota only builds bland models like the Corolla and Camry.

The success of the bread and butter models obscures the design cues behind the Lexus IS F model or the rugged styling of the FJ Cruiser.

They may not be your cup of tea, but they are not milk toast.

If Mr. Inaba is truly serious about bringing more passion into the Toyota line-up his designers need to push the envelope. Now more than ever.

At some point tens of thousands of people who have been holding off on buying a new car will stroll back into showrooms. When they do, they'll be looking for more than just reliability. The Big 3 three have essentially closed the quality gap with Toyota and Honda, so the selling point is no longer which model will hold up better, it is increasingly be about stirring emotions with buyers. Mr. Inaba knows this. And he knows Toyota needs to have the bold styling (along with Toyota's legendary quality) to win over Americans who have more choices behind the wheel.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 PM

I really see nothing wrong with Toyota making their mission to build practical, comfortable, reliable, and efficient transportation and leaving 'passionate' cars to other companies.

In reality it seems the majority of the car buying public cares very little for 'driving passion', but is told they they should care repeatedly by every car magazine and enthusiast on the planet.

It's also possible to be passionate about other aspects of a car like quality and comfort.

Maybe somebody should be criticizing BMW for not being able to make a car that rides smoothly and runs reliably for a reasonable amount of money.

So I really don't feel that a car company is failing if they can't make a car to suit every buyer on the planet.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM

If anything, the issue is that Toyota, not Lexus, as far as I can think of makes no effort to sell their cars on design or performance. I might have heard, " a 2XX" horsepower engine" in a Camry commercial, but I know I've heard everyone else talk about how thier model has more horsepower than the equivalent Toyota.

Nissan, Mazda, Pontiac sell a performance image with widely varying degrees of performance between models, and it doesen't seem as if anyone feels duped if and when they drive a competent performance car. For most mass market cars the performance gap is probably more about the feedback it gives the driver than anything else, and how many people compare or give any real thought to thier car's feedback?

Maybe they just need more performance oriented marketing.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D

Maybe they just need more performance oriented marketing.
or stop making ugly cars.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM

After they deleted Supras, I dont think Toyota's niche is performance anymore. Instead they focus on building cheap, reliable cars. But surely, Camry Solara is not Corvette.

The #1 reason people drive is to commute, and the demand for commuter is far exceed the demand for car enthusiast such as ourselves.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM

True, Toyota vehicles are boring. Boring to drive, boring to look at, boring to be in. But they carry the stigma of being great, dependable daily drivers, and for that they're fantastic. My mother is on her second Camry, and my tC hasn't let me down so far now approaching 40k miles. Though, it wouldn't hurt to add some edgy styling to their line up, worked out great for Ford.

Heck even a decent sports coupe would stir things up
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Anyone who's seen a Lexus ISF in action knows Toyota can build "cars with passion". I saw one at the track bolt on a set of DRs and promptly turn a 12.4 @ 115mph 1/4 mile. It was bone stock down to the paper filter. It wasn't loud, but man it sounded good - sounded mean. If I could pick a daily driver, that car would be at the top of my list.
The problem is, that's where their list of "passionate cars" stops. Pretty much everything else they build is an "appliance".
All I know is.....if freakin' Hyundai can build "passionate" cars, especially if they can win ANY kind of comparison with a Camaro (Genesis Coupe) that doesn't measure which car can fall apart faster, then Toyota has more than enough resources to build more "passionate" vehicles - but they just choose not to because people are buying what they build now.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM

I thought we were just talking about Toyota branded cars... not Lexus.

If we are in fact including Lexus, then yes, the IS350 is a pretty 'passionate' car, and the IS-F is a very 'passionate' car. You might also want to look further down the product pipeline and see some of the preliminary test videos for the Lexus LF-A supercar that should be on its way to market sooner or later. Initial reviews are saying it's setting track records left and right. Sounds passionate to me.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM

I think this is an interesting question. The lineup at Toyota isn't particularly inspiring but I think they capture a little bit of passion with the Scions and the IS line. Granted I said a little bit

Even going back through time to the iconic MkIV Supra that everyone remembers so fondly, that isn't even a car that screams passion to me at all. Even the mighty Supra had pretty tame styling and interior and was sort of an "engineer's sports car" (not that this was a bad thing).
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Toyota and Lexus to me have no passionate cars. By looking at the car, most people aren't excited. The IS series can perform on the track, but there isn't a gotta have it factor based on looks. Scion does have some models that will get people interested on looks.

Based on looks at Chevy, I would say that only the Camaro and Corvette are passionate. The rest of the lineup isn't unappealing, they just don't stick out. To me the new Buick LaCrosse has some of this appeal. I think that car is just beautiful. I would have to say most of GM's lineup is bland as well. But, it does have its bright spots.

Ford I think is doing well here, based solely on exteriors. The Mustang, the Fusion, the Taurus... maybe, the Freestyle. A huge fail on the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM

I hope they can't build passionate cars.
I hope the auto industry stops revolving around the transportation drones who have no appreciation for a fine automobile.

Last edited by Aaron91RS; 07-22-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM

We'll see. Aren't they in the works of building a new hybrid Supra? Right now, I see no Toyota as passionate. IMO Scions are ugly as all get out. Lexus has a couple cars that are decent, but luxury cars aren't really my thing.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I hope they can't build passionate cars.
I hope the auto industry stops revolving around the transportation drones who have no appreciation for a fine automobile.

Amen to that!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM

The last time Toyota had a "passionate" lineup in the U.S. was 1993.

That was the last year for the Celica All-Trac (200 hp 2.0L turbo, AWD) in the U.S. The MR2 Turbo was still around, with the same engine, and the MkIV Supra had just come out.

Within a few years, the Celica was neutered, the MR2 killed off, and the Supra became overpriced and low sales killed it off as well.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Toyota = Lexus =

Quick Reply: Can Toyota Build Cars of Passion?