Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Re: Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40

I love how the new cars are tested with the 1 foot of rollout to help get better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The new 1LE is not a mid 12 second car even with the 1 foot roll out BS. I remember LS1's hitting high 12's as well which is about as good as a stock 5th gen gets with the LS3.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
I love how the new cars are tested with the 1 foot of rollout to help get better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The new 1LE is not a mid 12 second car even with the 1 foot roll out BS. I remember LS1's hitting high 12's as well which is about as good as a stock 5th gen gets with the LS3.
The LS1 camaro is no where near close to the LS3 Camaro. Keep dreaming.

Boss 302 goes up against the 1LE. Ford doesn't have a Z/28 counterpart.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 PM

A few guys on the other board have run as fast as 12.70s in their 1LEs.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
A few guys on the other board have run as fast as 12.70s in their 1LEs.
There's always going to be variables that's going to produce times quicker than advertised. Temperature, humidity, tire pressure, and a host of other variables come into play. I use magazine tests as a basis because they take out the variables, and run cars strictly to manufacturer's spec. All cars get run exactly the same way, with allowances for temps, humidity, even altitude.

With all conditions being identical, the LS1 simply will not keep up with the new LS3 Camaro. Sure, you may have gotten a 12 second out of you LS1 (and I'm assuming we're talking NO modifications whatsoever...not even an aftermarket air filter, right?), but under the exact same conditions, stock versus stock, no contest. If you do have modifications on an LS1, applying the same modifications to the newer SS will still result in the car being quicker.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Ford took the GT500 to Nurburgring for developmental work. Ford does most their track development testing at Road Atlanta, and once in a blue moon at Laguna Seca, so the fact they went there at all is impressive.
I don't know what your definition of developmental work is. Mine is whebn you are fine tuning the car before production starts. So when you have a car at the ring after it has started production, and the cars have little nurburgring stickers on them, it isn't development anymore. Those Z28 pictures with the zebra camo? That was development.

Development was completed when the GT500 made its last ring run. They thought they were going for a victory lap, and realized they couldn't hang, so they kept the times secret.

-Geoff
Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 AM

Not bitter at all just seeing the same pattern all the time, Ford releases a car that beats Chevy then Chevy responds in 2-3 years. What Camaro is beating the Mustang hands down? Mustang V6 is quicker than the Camaro V6, Mustang Gt is faster than the Camaro SS, Shelby Gt500 is faster than the ZL1. Z28 is made to compete against what? If the Boss Mustang than they are a few years late since they haven't made them for 2 years and they didn't cost $70k+. It's not bitter when you are stating facts, I've owned 3 Camaro's but some of you guys just seem to have blinders on all the freaking time when it comes to anything but the Camaro.
GM beats in where it matters - sales. They win just about all that magazine contests, and other than the months that Ford puts big dollars on the mustang hoods hoods, Camaro has soundly beat them in sales.

-Geoff
Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
GM beats in where it matters - sales. They win just about all that magazine contests, and other than the months that Ford puts big dollars on the mustang hoods hoods, Camaro has soundly beat them in sales.

-Geoff
So which Camaro is faster than it's mustang counterpart? Base V6 Mustang faster, V8 Mustang faster, GT500 is faster. Funny how the roles are completely reversed from 11 years ago when the Camaro was faster in every regard and the Mustang guys could only brag about their "sales" being better. About the only bragging rights the Camaro has now are in handling and I can't remember ever hearing anyone on the street bragging about how they outhandled their opponent but I do know they want to know who will be in front when the light turns green. So keep bragging about handling, Nurinburg ring times, and sales but the mustang is simply faster in every model compared to the camaro. The Mustang never went away due to low sales.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM

So which Camaro is faster than it's mustang counterpart? Base V6 Mustang faster, V8 Mustang faster, GT500 is faster. Funny how the roles are completely reversed from 11 years ago when the Camaro was faster in every regard and the Mustang guys could only brag about their "sales" being better. About the only bragging rights the Camaro has now are in handling and I can't remember ever hearing anyone on the street bragging about how they outhandled their opponent but I do know they want to know who will be in front when the light turns green. So keep bragging about handling, Nurinburg ring times, and sales but the mustang is simply faster in every model compared to the camaro. The Mustang never went away due to low sales.
Straight line performance isn't the end-all of performance nowadays.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Straight line performance isn't the end-all of performance nowadays.
Funny how it seems to be that way when you no longer have dominance of straight line speed. Hilarious how the world is backwards from the 4th gen days where all the excuses were from the Mustang guys about handling and sales and IRS's, now it's the Camaro guys spouting the same BS I was hearing 12 years ago from Ford guys. If the tables were turned and all Chevy had was straight line speed you guys would be thumping your chests about how much quicker the Chevy was and that handling didn't really matter.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Ford Doesn't have a Z/28 type of car. The last thing they made that was anything like the Z/28 was the Cobra R in 2000, and that was expensive too.
You bring up a point one of my Mustang buddies said. Namely the Z/28 is Camaro's Cobra R.

It just didn't click with me since all my life the Z28 has been GM's regular performance car.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Development was completed when the GT500 made its last ring run. They thought they were going for a victory lap, and realized they couldn't hang, so they kept the times secret.
IMO or can you provide a citation?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
IMO or can you provide a citation?
A citation for what? The video showing this is on youtube. They brought brand new cars and never posted a time. Fill in the blanks for the rest of the story.

-Geoff
Old 10-28-2013, 07:06 PM

A citation for what? The video showing this is on youtube. They brought brand new cars and never posted a time. Fill in the blanks for the rest of the story.

-Geoff
I'm just asking you to back your assertation with facts? All that can really be said was Ford went to the 'ring to do some testing ( here is something that came out of it ).

Ford has tested other vehicles at the 'ring (Focus ST, Fiesta ST, along with the GT500) and didn't opt to post lap times so it appears they don't use it as a marketing tool in the same way GM does.

The only track I can think of that Ford specifically mentioned was Fiorano when they were trying to hit the 200 mph mark with the 2013 GT500
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM

I like this thread, actually having a debate, reminds me of the old camaro.z28.com.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Same fanboy players (from both sides) too. Ah the nostalgia!

Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40