Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro Name Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:53 AM

Camaro Name Updates?

Does anyone here have any updates as to the fate of the Camaro name? By this I don't mean the current thread talking about the CAW or anything like that. I am just looking for any update on whether or not GM is still going to use the Camaro name on an upcoming vehicle or not.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:06 AM

Re: Camaro Name Updates?

GM owns the name, lock, stock, & Barrel. GM has also lived up to all it's agreements with the CAW and the government of Quebec. The official CAW position is that they have no issues regarding the name (no telling what's behind the scenes, though).

The Chevrolet coupe "looks" like a Camaro from what everyone who has seen it has said, so it seems to have been designed with Camaro in mind from the start.

There also has been alot of things done by GM that can easily be described as clearing the way for the Camaro name to return.

I'm sure GM had a backup plan from the start in case things didn't work out, and I'm 100% sure, the project was never called "Camaro". But, as we saw with the Regal-LeCrosse and Cavalier-Colbalt, names can change in the last inning.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:31 AM

Re: Camaro Name Updates?

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm sure GM had a backup plan from the start in case things didn't work out, and I'm 100% sure, the project was never called "Camaro". But, as we saw with the Regal-LeCrosse and Cavalier-Colbalt, names can change in the last inning.
That would be GM's dumbest move to date. However inspite of having people on the inside like SS, I wouldn't put it past the bean-counters to ultimately have the final say.

Besides, it's not like Regal or Cavalier had the same historical significance, heritage or marketability as Camaro.