Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

California Looks to Stop Drivers' Frequent Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Lightbulb California Looks to Stop Drivers' Frequent Oil Changes

California always has such interesting ideas!

DailyTech - California Looks to Stop Drivers' Frequent Oil Changes

Cash strapped state is financing a public awareness campaign to try to stomp out frequent oil changes

While cars once required oil changes every 3,000 miles, advances in modern engine technology allow cars to safely go between 5,000 and 15,000 miles (according to manufactuer recommendations on various models) before getting an oil change. Car dealerships even force customers taking vehicles in for early changes to sign a disclaimer stating they know it isn't recommended, likely in an attempt to avoid lawsuits for selling unnecessary services.

But despite all of this apparently nationally drivers aren't getting the message. A recent NPD Group survey indicated that 51 percent of people still think that 3,000 miles is mandated change period, while only 33 percent wait longer than 4,000 miles between changes. California drivers are no different, with around half of drivers believing that frequent changes are a necessity.

Looking to stop its residents' penchant for oil change hypochondria, California has decided to yet again play nanny and try to educate some of its more deficient denizens. In response to Californians wasting "millions" in oil costs, the state has decided to finance a major ad campaign to tell customers to skip that early oil change.

Mark Oldfield, a spokesman for the California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery plugs the "Check Your Number" campaign, commenting, "Our survey data found that nearly half of California drivers are still changing their oil at 3,000 miles or even sooner."

The state has launched a new website -- checkyournumber.org -- which contains a lookup for nearly all common U.S. makes and models, so you can find out how often you're supposed to change the oil. Mr. Oldfield predicts the program will save 10 million gallons of motor oil yearly.

Those savings are cheered by environmentalists. Don Anair, senior engineer at the Union of Concerned Scientists remarks, "Drivers have a number of ways to reduce the environmental impact of their vehicles, which can also save them money."

That said, not everyone is happy with the program, which adds an extra expense to California's already cash-strapped state budget. Comments "Jenna Fisher" in a response to a piece in The LA Times, "The Demorats in Sacromental (sic) can't leave us alone. Is it too much to ask to let adults decide when to change their oil? Most in CA can't afford oil changes often and do drive beyond the recommended... 12% unemployed? Leave us alone loonie left. Time for a part time legislature."
Sources: LA Times, NPD Group
Old 12-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Re: California Looks to Stop Drivers' Frequent Oil Changes

Well as long as the state has credible evidence to back up thier claim, I dont see where this is an issue? Individually I think the best way to determine how often you need to change your oil would be to get an oil analysis and try different intervals and see where the oil starts to lose its protective qualities provided you dont have an onboard sensor giving you the oil life.

I checked the link in your post Slappy and it did not break the sub models down for Mustang and instead provided a blanket 7500 miles between changes.

Still old habits die hard, try telling people when your putting less than 4 tires on that the new ones should go in the rear (provided they are the same size and type) or you can actually cross-rotate tires.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Well as long as the state has credible evidence to back up thier claim, I dont see where this is an issue? Individually I think the best way to determine how often you need to change your oil would be to get an oil analysis and try different intervals and see where the oil starts to lose its protective qualities provided you dont have an onboard sensor giving you the oil life.

I checked the link in your post Slappy and it did not break the sub models down for Mustang and instead provided a blanket 7500 miles between changes.

Still old habits die hard, try telling people when your putting less than 4 tires on that the new ones should go in the rear (provided they are the same size and type) or you can actually cross-rotate tires.
I trust GM's oil life monitor personally and stick with Mobil-1 since it was factory fill on my GTO. It seems to always signal for an oil change somewhere between 7000 and 8000 miles which I feel is accurate given I don't do much highway driving.

Most new cars come with oil life monitors these days, yet people still do the 3000 changes. I personally don't care, but I urge people to save some money and wait. Their engine is not going to explode.

I just get a kick out of this since with all of the crap going on in this economy and world, this is what California is working on. Yes, all states have bad timing with projects, but this just happened to be in my news feed .
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 AM

This is a non issue that if anything makes sense.

First this isn't a law mandating anything. It's educating the public to do something they should do anyway: Read your frigging owners manual. You don't need to change oil every 3000 miles.

The person that changes every 3000 miles versus, say the 6000 miles or so in the owners manual, doubles the amount of oil that has to be disposed of. That wasted oil doesn't simply evaporate into thin air, you don't dump it on the ground, and you don't pour it down your sink. Used motor oil is considered hazardous waste.

What's the purpose of doubling (or even tripling) the amount of oil that's used as well as disposed of if there's no purpose or benefit whatsoever to the engine.

That's like tuning your engine to purposely burning twice the amount gasoline without any gain in power or benefit then whine because a state puts up a website that says you don't need to.

Again, really a non-issue.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 AM

This is a good thing. In general, 3000 mile oil changes = pissing money (and oil) away.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
This is a good thing. In general, 3000 mile oil changes = pissing money (and oil) away.
It also causes higher engine (bearing) wear changing the oil every 3,000 miles. New oil is actually very dirty (not soot which is sub micron and makes the oil black). Used motor oil is actually cleaner particulate wise (filter cleans out the 10-25 micron particles and larger).

Look at fleet studies to verify this. Every time there is an oil change there is a spike in wear, then it levels off. Although if the manufacturer doesn't use a better filter then it is not going to work. Typically just a larger filter will do it so you can prevent the filter from going into bypass. (longer surface area = longer life)

This is why for example I use a truck filter on my LS1.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM

It's a great idea, but they need work on the execution. The website doesn't have a way to break down trim levels, and suggests I should change my 2005 cobalt's oil every 3000 miles.

The car came with Moble 1, and the manual suggests using the oil life indicator or wait at least 6,000 miles.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 AM

I'm ususally against most things in California but, really, this is nothing but a better exicuted PSA. It is good for a lot of motorist who don't have a clue. So, I hope it helps. The only ding I have against it, is that all newer cars have oil life monitoring systems and that's what most people should go by.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM

I wonder what the fine folks at Jiffy Lube will think of this?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM

With all the budget cuts the State is imposing on education, the elderly and healthcare; if the State now wants to waste money on futile ad campaigns, there is going to be an uprising.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM

wow... California does something smart
Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
This is a non issue that if anything makes sense.

First this isn't a law mandating anything. It's educating the public to do something they should do anyway: Read your frigging owners manual. You don't need to change oil every 3000 miles.

The person that changes every 3000 miles versus, say the 6000 miles or so in the owners manual, doubles the amount of oil that has to be disposed of. That wasted oil doesn't simply evaporate into thin air, you don't dump it on the ground, and you don't pour it down your sink. Used motor oil is considered hazardous waste.

What's the purpose of doubling (or even tripling) the amount of oil that's used as well as disposed of if there's no purpose or benefit whatsoever to the engine.

That's like tuning your engine to purposely burning twice the amount gasoline without any gain in power or benefit then whine because a state puts up a website that says you don't need to.

Again, really a non-issue.
Most oil is recycled these days.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
With all the budget cuts the State is imposing on education, the elderly and healthcare; if the State now wants to waste money on futile ad campaigns, there is going to be an uprising.
I am sure the cost is not much, but I would rather see that money go to our schools or roads. To me its just more mismanaging of our tax dollars.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Most oil is recycled these days.
Maybe most recorded instances of oil disposal end up being recycled. However, there are much more unrecorded instances of disposal of oil than there are recorded instances. Oil generally ends up somewhere it's not suppose to be, partly due to the fact it costs money to properly dispose oil.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Very true about a new pair of tires, ESPECIALLY on a front wheel drive car. I got the pleasure of experiencing this first hand in a Toyota Carolla on the wet skid pad at the Michelin Proving Grounds in Laurens, SC when I took a vehicle dynamics class. Worn tires on the front = nice controllable push at around 70mph. Simply let off the gas and all is under control. Worn tires on the rear = uncontrollable snap spin up around 70mph and not a SINGLE person in the class caught the car, most doing 3-4 spins and going off track! But boy that was fun!

Be careful cross-rotating tires on many modern cars though, that whole directional tire thing

Quick Reply: California Looks to Stop Drivers' Frequent Oil Changes