Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

CAFE Strikes Again: Infiniti to End V8 Engine Development

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 AM

Thumbs down CAFE Strikes Again: Infiniti to End V8 Engine Development

I hope this isn't the start of a really bad trend. I need my V8 fix.

DailyTech - CAFE Strikes Again: Infiniti to End V8 Engine Development

Infiniti will turn to turbocharged 4- and 6-cylinder engines, hybrids, full electrics

"And another one gone, and another one gone / Another one bites the dust"

Well, it looks as though the recently approved CAFE standards that aim to increase automobile fuel economy to 54.5mpg by 2025 have claimed another victim. Infiniti currently has V8 engine options available in its M luxury sedan, FX crossover, and QX sport utility vehicles, but that likely won't be the case in future iterations of those vehicles.

According to a report by AutoGuide, increasingly stringent fuel economy and emissions regulations mean that V8 engines are no longer on the table for Infiniti vehicles. V8 engines have traditionally been available in luxury vehicles as a symbol of prestige and power, but Infiniti will look to new ways to bring powerful engines to its lineup while still keeping fuel economy in check.

“I don’t think any car that is on Infiniti drawing boards from here onwards we should expect a V8 to be included in that plan,” Johan de Nysschen, Infiniti's global president.

Infiniti's 5.0-liter V8 produces 385hp, its 5.5-liter V8 produces 420hp, and its 5.6-liter V8 (truck-based) produces 400hp.

There are numerous directions that Infiniti can take with the absence of a V8 engine. Automakers like Ford already have twin-turbocharged V6 engines that develop 365hp while still delivering respectable fuel economy. Even Hyundai is rumored to be getting in on the action with a twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 which generates 395hp.

For entry-level and mid-range models will also see a shift in available engines as well. Infiniti's current workhorse engine is the 3.7-liter “VQ” V6, but Nissan is also working on a turbocharged four-cylinder engine to deliver comparable power and vastly improved fuel economy.

Other options for Infiniti include fully electric vehicles (like the LE Concept) and additional hybrid models (we’re hoping that Infiniti delivers a production version of the Emerg-E).

Infiniti isn't the only luxury maker to drop a V8 engine from its lineup. When Lexus redesigned its mid-range GS sedan, it dropped the 4.6-liter V8 engine option and instead launched the vehicle with a 3.5-liter V6 and a 3.5-liter V6/performance hybrid model for those that want the power of a V8.

Source: AutoGuide
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Re: CAFE Strikes Again: Infiniti to End V8 Engine Development

Let me preface this post by saying " I hate this god-damned logitech keyboard" - had a reply all ready to go and for whatever reason it rolled back the browser and dumped my history as well - when payday rolls around I'm going to get all Office Space on it

Anyways,

Is Inifinti considered its own brand or do they lump them in with Nissan when it comes to CAFE? If they lump them in I wonder what the broader implication for Nissan is? Especially its full size pick-up and SUV.

Hard to remain optimistic about V8 pony cars when you read stuff like this all the time.

LMAO, I think my next new car will be a Factory Five Mk(TBD) Roadster

Now if I could only find a sweet IR manifold to fit some 2v heads atop a hogged out 5.4 Ford GT(40) wet sump block.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Infiniti's 5.0-liter V8 produces 385hp, its 5.5-liter V8 produces 420hp, and its 5.6-liter V8 (truck-based) produces 400hp

Sad to see less V8s available but if people were buying them then Infinity would be staying in the market.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM

It isn't CAFE, it is lack of demand from the public. Even in the F-150, 42% of buyers would rather have a turbo V6 (and pay extra for it) over a 5.0L V8.

Better technology has made the V8 unnecessary in sub 400HP applications which is like 98% of cars.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Also, how many Infiniti buyers are going to care how the power is produced? These are not Camaro/Mustang/Corvette/Challenger where the engine configuration is part of the mystique/experience.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Yeah it is about sales.

Honestly I do not think Infiniti sells enough V8s for it to affect the CAFE rating of Renault-Nissan nearly at all. However, that does mean that it probably does not sell enough to warrant an extra engine architecture. A turbo I4 or V6 can largely be piggy-backed onto the common naturally aspirated versions that are more widespread.

The Titan hardly sells at all. I would not be surprised if it either gets a V6 turbo as the top engine, or if they end up buying some motors from Ford, Chrysler or GM. Or perhaps that truck will just go away.

GM and Ford guys are fortunate that the trucks are a place to get some development money for their V8s in the Camaro and Mustang. At least for now those markets are relatively safe.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
It isn't CAFE, it is lack of demand from the public.
Bingo. Which goes back to the age old argument(s) that most luxury vehicle buyers don't care (or know) if their vehicle is fwd, rwd or how big the engine is just as long as its adequate.

If a turbo 4 or V6 can perform equal to a V8 yet get better fuel efficiency, why go with a V8 in the first place? (The same logic should apply to performance/muscle cars, but it doesn't work out that way.)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM

Infiniti sells to more countries than just the U.S you know. The demand for V8's internationally has dropped. EU and Japan strict emissions also plays a factor. (Just look at the BMW ///M's) The Infiniti V8 was probably dead even before CAFE.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
I hope this isn't the start of a really bad trend. I need my V8 fix.

DailyTech - CAFE Strikes Again: Infiniti to End V8 Engine Development
You need not worry. The article is sensationalism at it finest.

While Nissan has in fact stopped development on any new V8 engine, it's because the resources are going into other areas. Their current V8 isn't going anywhere as long as people are buying them.

Once again, the CAFE boggieman strikes. The article fails to note that BMW is working on a new version of their twin turbo V8, Mercedes is working on an updated V8, GM's about to bring out a new V8, Ford's Coyote engines have direct injection and DOD capabilities engineered in, and even though Chrysler plans to continue offering Hemis through at least the rest of the decade.

Infiniti's V8 and the 5.0 in the Mustang both put out 420hp (Ford got a bump this year). Yet infiniti's V8 is rated at 16/24 mpg while Mustang rates 18/25. It gets the same mileage as the much bigger Camaro 6.2 V8.