Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cadillac Cien supercar officially 'shelved'

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 08:52 AM

Thumbs down Cadillac Cien supercar officially 'shelved'

That sucks. Looks to be an awesome car.

Not many could afford it, but I guess the GT40 needs no compitition...

The only saving grace is the Ruess said they need to focus on other areas, inclusing performance cars for every division...

Now, I would have thought the Cien would BE a performance car...

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=06141287

[This message has been edited by Darth Xed (edited July 30, 2002).]
Old 07-30-2002, 09:26 AM

Welp, either Corvette gets that V-12, or refer to my earlier rant...

The one that started with "jackasses".
Old 07-30-2002, 09:33 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PacerX:
Welp, either Corvette gets that V-12, or refer to my earlier rant...

The one that started with "jackasses".
</font>
Good point!

Maybe rather than Corvette... it wcould be used in a limited edition hi-po Caddy XLR?!

But I don't know how Chevy would feel about Caddy using the Corvette platform AND having better perfomance on top of that now...

Hmmm... certainly muddies the waters.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:45 AM

Heck, maybe I am too frustrated to think clearly, but I need a REALLY SLOW explanation of how the SSR was a good idea instead of an F-body or even Cien.

Maybe there is something that isn't obvious to the outside/inside observer, but this is just NUTTY.

OK, Cien wasn't going to set the world on fire - I don't think... And Corvette needs to carry the flag as "King of the Hill"... But it costs the same amount to develop SSR or Cien as it does a 5th generation F-body. You need the same number of engineers, for the same amount of time, the same number of designers, the same number of CAD tubes.

Oh yeah, but you could SELL 150,000 F-bodies... instead of a couple of thousand SSR's or a handful of Ciens.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:53 AM

Heck, maybe I am too frustrated to think clearly, but I need a REALLY SLOW explanation of how the SSR was a good idea instead of an F-body or even Cien.

Maybe there is something that isn't obvious to the outside/inside observer, but this is just NUTTY.

OK, Cien wasn't going to set the world on fire - I don't think... And Corvette needs to carry the flag as "King of the Hill"... But it costs the same amount to develop SSR or Cien as it does a 5th generation F-body. You need the same number of engineers, for the same amount of time, the same number of designers, the same number of CAD tubes.

Oh yeah, but you could SELL 150,000 F-bodies... instead of a couple of thousand SSR's or a handful of Ciens.
</font>
Agreed!

If a legitimate business case could be made for the SSR... which I too, just don't get, then I'd think a 5th gen business case would be rather easy to make.

If you make a realistic sales projection, say even 80-100k units per model year to be conservative, and it was produced at a plant that is the proper size, and they build the car right... you'd think it's a no brainer...

I think SSR will be a flop. It's an expensive PT Cruiser idea... there was another expensive PT Cruiser idea that just died... the Prowler.

I expect the T-Bird to follow suit in a few years.

Old 07-30-2002, 10:04 AM

Every time I think of the SSR, my head hurts. A Procter and Gamble concept if there ever was one.

"Hey, let's put coupons in the paper for them, and then the dealerships can give discounts based on the coupons... maybe even double coupons on Tuesdays..."

"Why no, it isn't an El Camino.... sure it's got a bed, and two seats up front, and shares hardware with the trucks and RWD sedans... BUT IT ISN'T AN EL CAMINO..."

"Flipping the Holden Ute's steering wheel over to the other side and calling it an El Camino is too much work... but then doing it to Monaro and calling it a GTO makes sense."

See, I'm getting a headache again....

BTW, I bought a good chunk of Procter and Gamble stock a while back, (a good chunk for me - I am by no means wealthy), I converted it to Kimberly-Clark when they hired knucklehead back away from GM.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

..... I converted it to Kimberly-Clark when they hired knucklehead back away from GM.
</font>
PacerX .... you are quickly rising to the top of my favourite writers list! Keep it up .... I love it.

Ted 99 TA WS6 Conv
Old 07-30-2002, 10:19 AM

Zarellaism

Brought us such great things as the Aztek, the death of two American icons in the Camaro and Firebird, the SSR which is a big 'huh?' and seems to be taking decades to debut anyway, I'm sure he had a hand in the killing of the 2-door Grand Prix when the next gen GP debuts next year, the constant dragging of the feet on replacing the aging Cavalier and Sunfire... the cars that INTRODUCE people to your brand...

I could go on, but this guy just was out of his element.

The only positive thing that came out of his time frame, IMO, is Cadillac's CTS and it's new direction with Arts & Sciences...

Look what the most famous car of all time, Corvette, had to go through just to survive.

[This message has been edited by Darth Xed (edited July 30, 2002).]
Old 07-30-2002, 10:35 AM

Sweet. Hang it up. More cash for the 5th gen.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:13 AM

thats too bad... hopefully they'll pick it up again..

Old 07-30-2002, 11:40 AM

This thread has me laughing. All very true.

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 07-30-2002, 11:47 AM

I think the SSR's purpose was to be a cheap and easy way (remember it's a truck) for GM to say" HEY...LOOK WORLD....WE HAVE COJONES TOO!....when the rest of the product line was O*N*E - L*O*N*G - Y*A*W*N.

Personally I have zero interest in the SSR and I wouldn't shed any tears if it never happened.

[This message has been edited by Z284ever (edited July 30, 2002).]
Old 07-30-2002, 01:00 PM

</font>
You forget, Zarella's one regret (he even said it himself) was that he couldn't bring out more TRUCKS. Camaro & the rest of GM's carline didn't stand a chance.

Fortunately GM's CEO is not taking some bold action to change that direction, & isn't afraid to hire people from other CAR companies to turn things around.

If it's worth anything, I haven't heard anything on SSR since it's plant issues a couple of months ago.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:33 PM

I bet if they canned the SSR, Solstice, Cien, Bel Air et al...

They'd have enough for a 5th gen Camaro AND Firebird.

Down with niche vehicles! Power to the masses! Workers unite!
Old 07-30-2002, 09:06 PM

Reuss is like a cheerleader for the Cleveland Cavaliers. He tries to make you pumped up about the team when really you're looking at a pile of ****.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Cien supercar officially 'shelved'