Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick Lucerne and DTS....same architecture?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Re: Buick Lucerne and DTS....same architecture?

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
The question being raised here is how different is the "K" from the "H". Not so much on the letter designation itself.
Exactly.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:44 PM

I wonder if K was given it's own code so that Caddy could feel special....I always though LaSlabber was G?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:51 PM

The Lexus ES sits on a chassis with a different code name/letter designation but everybody knows damn well it's 98% identical to the Camry's platform.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I wonder if K was given it's own code so that Caddy could feel special....I always though LaSlabber was G?
it was, and the Lucerne is it's replacement.. and lots of places i read that it uses the same platform as the Lesabre.. Scott says the vin code for the Lucerne is H

as far as i can tell, the H platform is the platform used by the Lesabre & Bonneville from about 1986-1999.. then they switched over to the G platform.. maybe they didn't change the vin code? anyone know what the Vin code for 2000-2005 Lesabres is?

or maybe they went from H to G and back to H with the Lucerne.. i don't know
Old 03-07-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
anyone know what the Vin code for 2000-2005 Lesabres is?
LeSabre was an H.

Park Ave was a C.

Go figure.

Why would the very much similar in architecture but different sized STS and CTS be the same body code while the very similar sized DTS and Lucerne are different.....?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I'd say the DTS is modified/enhanced structurely to help deal with the add ons of aftermarket coachbuilders such as limos and hursts. Must have been enough changes to designate a different code.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
LeSabre was an H.

Park Ave was a C.

Go figure.

Why would the very much similar in architecture but different sized STS and CTS be the same body code while the very similar sized DTS and Lucerne are different.....?
so, basically what we are learning is that the VIN letter code really doesnt necessarily denote the platform code letter..

because even though the Lesabre went from the H platform to the G platform in 2000, the VIN letter did not change

and the Park Avenue, which shared the G platform with the Lesabre (with a different wheelbase), has a completely different VIN letter

Last edited by FS3800; 03-07-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I'd say the DTS is modified/enhanced structurely to help deal with the add ons of aftermarket coachbuilders such as limos and hursts. Must have been enough changes to designate a different code.
Yeah, but the fact they have the SAME wheelbase, near identical interiors, and powertrains, and are built at the same plant tells me they are very closly related. If anything DTS is a supersize Lucure...but has a different body code because it is a Caddy.

Also...the revised versions of both cars were released at the exact same time.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM

With the exception of a few inches, they are the same vehicle.

So, when the Camaro comes, it won't be on Zeta, it will be on Beta because it will be 6 inches shorter than the Impala?

Sorry, but GM doesn't have flexible manufacturing down to a "T" just yet to say the architectures are different. Plus, D-Ham isn't a C-Flex plant if I remember right. Lansing is the only one here in Michigan until Lambda comes on-line.

Last edited by Josh452; 03-07-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:39 AM

This whole thing is about splitting hairs, and both Scott and Branden are right.

Lucerne and DTS do have different body designations, and if you want to get specific, aren't the same car.

However, to say one isn't based of the other is really pushing it. Lecerne is an improved version of the DTS.

Rip the skin off of both and they will look somewhat different. But the same can be said for an Impala and Grand Prix, though both are the same "W" body. There's more under the skin shared than is different.

I'd say the DTS and Lecerne are about as different structurally as the Impala and Grand Prix. But while Impy and GP share designation, the Buick and Caddy don't.

Even the Malibu and G6 share "bodies", yet they come in a different wheelbase.

It's all where you want to jump off at.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

All Right:

Homework assignment.

Go get a tape measure.

Go measure from the bottom of the door glass on a Lucerne.....from one end of the front passenger compartment to the other.

Do the same with the DTS.

Go look underneath the cars.

Look at the firewalls..........

Look at the rear cross brace.

There is not one piece of sheetmetal common to either car.

Even the widths are different.

Not the same with the W car. They share some under the skin sheetmetal and cross braces. The widths are essentially the same interior-wise.

So.........are the the DTS and Lucerne related? Yup! They're built by GM......at Hamtramck. They're both FWD. They both have 4 doors and a hood and a trunk. They both have 4 wheels (MOST of the time......) (Except for when they've been stripped......)

Not the same car.

But then, what would I know????
Old 03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

I think I'm jumping in over my head here, but IMO, every single part can be different without voiding the statement that two cars are "based off the same platform". For instance, I am told (by a Ford engineer) that the '05 Mustang and Lincoln LS do not share even one single part. Yet everyone* knows that the Mustang is on the same platform as the LS.

Scott and Branden are making true statements which do not exclude each other.

* - duh, not everyone

Last edited by JakeRobb; 03-08-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:20 AM

http://autodeadline.com/detail?sourc...54031&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?sourc...53373&mime=JPG

"Quack, Quack"
Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
All Right:

Homework assignment.

Go get a tape measure.

Go measure from the bottom of the door glass on a Lucerne.....from one end of the front passenger compartment to the other.

Do the same with the DTS.

Go look underneath the cars.

Look at the firewalls..........

Look at the rear cross brace.

There is not one piece of sheetmetal common to either car.

Even the widths are different.

Not the same with the W car. They share some under the skin sheetmetal and cross braces. The widths are essentially the same interior-wise.

So.........are the the DTS and Lucerne related? Yup! They're built by GM......at Hamtramck. They're both FWD. They both have 4 doors and a hood and a trunk. They both have 4 wheels (MOST of the time......) (Except for when they've been stripped......)

Not the same car.

But then, what would I know????
Fair enough, but:

Still, why would the STS and CTS have the same body codes despite the complete differences in dimensions and body? They're both Sigma architecture based, but different dimensionally. How does one explain that?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:50 PM

Good find.

It still proves that both Scott and Brandon are right.

No..... It's not the same car. There are plenty of differences. There are assorted rails, and differences in structure that are needed for the different shapes of the cars and the Lecerne has many improvements in it's construction that reflects the time that's past since the DTS structure was created in it's current form.

Yes.... It does share engine cradle, rear unibody frame section, the center tunnel section is very very similar, the upper structure of the "firewall" is almost identical, The front rails of the unistructure are the same, and I'm betting if anyone did a search on some of the bolt-in parts, there'd be many identical of near identical parts.

Ford's Mustang, Fairmont-Zephyr, LTD-Marquis, Thunderbird-Cougar, and even the Lincoln Mark VII were all made off the Fox platform. All had different lengths and wheelbases. A couple had different widths inside & out. There were different heights involved, different fuel tanks in most instances, and most certainly plenty of structural differences. But there was no denying they were based off of the same car.

Both of you, Scott and Brandon, are right. Where's the problem, guys?

Quick Reply: Buick Lucerne and DTS....same architecture?