Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick Dealers Reject RWD Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 AM

Buick Dealers Reject RWD Sedan?

Is this true? It sounds like GM was ready to go ahead with a Zeta Buick and now the dealers are slamming on the brakes.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/...d-sedan-plans/

I thought many of the older generation (Buick current audience) would embrace a return to RWD. I know of several older folks that prefer RWD. They are still hanging on to their Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, Town Cars, Roadmasters, Caprices, Fleetwoods, etc becasue they are large RWD sedans.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 AM

Honestly......... they need to keep some larger FWD cars.

Just like they put all their eggs in the FWD basket and it burned them in the long run.... quickly tossing all of them into the RWD basket abandons a market that many people are used to and look for and want.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with having both. In fact, it's the smart thing to do.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM

Chevrolet should have 2 rwd: Camaro and Impala.

Pontiac should by largly rwd (imo).

Buick I don't even really know. Maybe a mix?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 AM

I guess that could make sense. Cadillac is RWD and AWD premium "sporty" cars. Buick is FWD and AWD premium "comfort" cars.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 AM

That is just so wrong. Granted, the Lucerne is a nice car, but, if it was ever made with more horsepower, like the "T"-types of old, or the GS Buicks, Wildcats, etc. it would loose the driving appeal quickly.

I'm not THAT old, but I prefer RWD- I learned on it, grew up in snow country, and still am not too old to lay the occaissional patch of rubber. A good fish-tail is just my way of checking available traction, officer-

Some mid-level moron at Buick is doing classic GM, afraid to change. The guy that said both FWD and RWD is best is right, until you have to provide service and parts for all-
Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 AM

I keep telling people on here that a mass move to RWD does NOT make a lot of sense in many parts of the country. My parents are in FL right now, and called me last night...they can't believe how many Chargers and Magnums are on the road.

In MA, they simply rot. MANY older folks have actually enjoyed FWD, and don't want to go back to RWD...I've lost a ton of 300 sales to people who don't want RWD, and don't feel the need to pay for AWD when the competition (everything from Lucernes to Acura TLs) are FWD...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 AM

They're putting the nails in their own coffin. I'd understand somewhat if Buick dealers said they were comitted to the concept of front wheel drive - as peopel have said, there is still a place for it. But they rejected it out of fear the Zeta car would damage the Lucerne. What luxury car brand in its right mind would rather sell a 10 year old design with a 4-speed and a 3800 than a new RWD car that's had a billion dollars invested in it.

GM is watching the choices these dealers make. We've all said that the the merging of Pontiac and Buick could make it easer for GM to close one if they thought it necessary. That brand will definitely be Buick if they don't even let GM develope new products for them.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 AM

Well, with no known large FWD platforms in development, I'd say they have no choice but to accept a Zeta large car. If customers insist on making FWD a sticking point, there will still be the larger (inside) Epsilon-II based LaCrosse.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 AM

How far can EPII be stretched? If it can be be used to make a full size FWD/AWD sedan, the dealers might be right - theres a big market (older people) who grew accustomed to their Park Avenues/Le Sabres and to them rear wheel drive is something to worry about in the winter, this group wouldn't appreciate the improved driving dynamics RWD offers. But if EPII maxes out at LaCrosse size, then they really have no choice. Either accept a RWD Lucerne replacement or go without a full size sedan at all.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

The last time I heard of a group of GM dealers pushing for something, GM made the Saab 9-7X. That didn't go over all that hot.

I say leave the design and building cars up to GM, and let the dealers worry about selling them.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Honestly......... they need to keep some larger FWD cars.

Just like they put all their eggs in the FWD basket and it burned them in the long run.... quickly tossing all of them into the RWD basket abandons a market that many people are used to and look for and want.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with having both. In fact, it's the smart thing to do.
Agree 100%.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM

On one hand, I can understand Buick dealers not wanting to rock the boat. Buickman, as much of an assclown he can be at times, IMO represents many of the Buick dealers in the northeast. Relics of an era as time passed them by, believing that things that happen in their own little sphere of the block goes for the rest of the entire world. This guy actually slammed GM for getting rid of the Rendevous in favor of the Enclave.

On the other hand, although it pays to listen to dealers, the tail should never wag the dog.... especially since the tail has no eyes, no brain, and it's entire existence depends on the dog.

Here's where logic goes off the deep end here:

"Dealers turn down a car because they are afraid it will canabalize sales of the Lucerne."

Take a second to think about how ludicrous that statement is.

1. Dealers are still going to get profits off the thing.

2. Dealers are admitting the thing will sell and it will draw people away from the old model.

3. Just like other GM divisions, there are some vehicles that sell better than others in different areas. Lucern will still sell well in areas stuck on FWD and the RWD sedan will sell (IMO, phenominally) well in California, Florida, and the other 40+ states and 4/5 the US population that aren't having to get around in actual snow on the road more than a few weeks each year.

Remember when the CTS first came out and dealers (especially in the snowbelt) went into vapor-lock because it wasn't a traditional Cadillac and they "would never be able to sell it to traditional Cadillac customers"?

I think today with the CTS being the most favorite Cadillac behind the DTS, and that it brought vast attention and buyers into what at the time seemed to be a dying brand, most all of us realize how stupid that view was.

The same story is repeating with Buick.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 AM

Good points Guy.

Originally Posted by guionM
Buickman....This guy actually slammed GM for getting rid of the Rendevous in favor of the Enclave.
Gee, does Dollinger's "Return to Greatness" plan really include obviously inferior products sitting on dealer lots?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Stop speaking of he who we do not speak of...
Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
The last time I heard of a group of GM dealers pushing for something, GM made the Saab 9-7X. That didn't go over all that hot.

I say leave the design and building cars up to GM, and let the dealers worry about selling them.
You forgot the Pontiac G5.
Originally Posted by dav305z
We've all said that the the merging of Pontiac and Buick could make it easer for GM to close one if they thought it necessary. That brand will definitely be Buick if they don't even let GM develope new products for them.
Not it won't be. Buick's future is certain, remember that Buick sells more cars in China than in the US. I am willing to wager that the majority Buick NA gets will be a copy of Buick China from here on out. And with the Holden/Pontiac connection settling, and the upcoming Alpha cars, I think that Pontiac has a good future too. I can't see either brand going away anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Buick Dealers Reject RWD Sedan?