Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick Announces Pricing on LaCrosse with eAssist

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Re: Buick Announces Pricing on LaCrosse with eAssist

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Any chance these new eAssist cars will qualify for federal tax credits? They are essentially mild hybrids.

A tax credit would eat up at least a portion of the additional up front cost of eAssist.

It would make it a much easier call to spend the extra $$$
I think the current federal tax credit only applies to plug-in hybrids and EVs. I think there may also be stipulations about a minimum battery size and/or being able to drive under electric power only.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Personally I wouldn't buy a Hybrid on the used car market without some sort of warranty. Definitely won't pay a premium for a "used Hybrid car" over the comparative std model.

But that's just me, more complexity, more to go wrong, for a minimal increase in fuel mileage; especially as these hybrids age.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 PM

So, even if the supposed apples-to-apples cost increase for the e-assist is $15xx, then we are still looking at an approx time of SEVEN YEARS just to break even on fuel savings.

I'm still thinking that's not such a great thing, financially speaking.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:32 PM

2011 LaCrosse: 19 city/30 highway/23 combined (verified on fueleconomy.gov)
2012 LaCrosse: 25 city/37 highway/31 combined (per GM)
2011 $0.174 per mile @ $4/gal
2012 $0.129 per mile @ $4/gal
Break even = 35,111 miles
Old 06-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Isn't the length of car ownership in the US right aroud 4 years? If so, most people won't see a benefit without at least $4 per gallon fuel over their ownership period (My assumption for the combined fuel mileage looks a little high). Basically, depending on how things shake out, it will take 4-7 years to recoup the premium you pay. A mojor spike in gas would be the only thing that would accelerate your savings. However, there would be a point were the "gross" price of gas would be more problematic than the differential between models.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Isn't the length of car ownership in the US right aroud 4 years? If so, most people won't see a benefit without at least $4 per gallon fuel over their ownership period (My assumption for the combined fuel mileage looks a little high). Basically, depending on how things shake out, it will take 4-7 years to recoup the premium you pay. A mojor spike in gas would be the only thing that would accelerate your savings. However, there would be a point were the "gross" price of gas would be more problematic than the differential between models.
Well, again, selling an eAssist LaCrosse will probably get you a fair bit more in resale value. At least that's the way it has been with most other hybrid vehicles. So at 5 years of ownership you may just be breaking even, but once you sell it, you'll have actually profited/saved a bit in total cost of ownership.

Also I assume eAssist makes the 2.4 at least a little more potent in terms of power... especially off the line. That may not have a practical value in dollars and sense, but it is a valuable addition to some people.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 PM

But what's the actual added cost?

$1500 or $2300 added to final price means nothing in this regard. You don't pay for a car all at once.

$1500 for 36 month breakdown is $41.67 extra per payment.
@60 months, it is $25.

say you buy for 5 year payment plan, that's an extra $300 a year. now you go to trade it in 2 years in, on top the added 'zomg hybrid' value, did the extra $600 do its job at $3.50/gal, $3.75/gal, $4/gal.?

Just the spike from $3.50( where can u even find it this cheap?) to $3.75 is really likely in those two years.

my math may seem simple, but the reasoning behind it is complex. theres a lot more to it than just final price of the single option.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
So, even if the supposed apples-to-apples cost increase for the e-assist is $15xx, then we are still looking at an approx time of SEVEN YEARS just to break even on fuel savings.

I'm still thinking that's not such a great thing, financially speaking.
How do you get 7 years? How many miles a year? $4 a gallon? Also don't forget to factor in 3.1% inflation.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
How do you get 7 years? How many miles a year? $4 a gallon? Also don't forget to factor in 3.1% inflation.
He is working off my original calculation in post #3. My combined fuel economy for the regular gas model was generous, therefore pushing out the length to recoup.

Just the spike from $3.50( where can u even find it this cheap?) to $3.75 is really likely in those two years.
I paid $3.46 on Sunday.

Well, again, selling an eAssist LaCrosse will probably get you a fair bit more in resale value.
As someone that buys used cars, I would not consider an out of warranty battery carrying car as a positive. The long term repair costs for these things is not very defined at present. People make lots of illogical decisions trying to be green.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM

As someone that buys used cars, I would not consider an out of warranty battery carrying car as a positive. The long term repair costs for these things is not very defined at present. People make lots of illogical decisions trying to be green.

Like the idea of mining toxic metals and elements, then refining them to make special batteries to save 2-3mpg of gas is worth the risk of damage to the enviroment.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Like the idea of mining toxic metals and elements, then refining them to make special batteries to save 2-3mpg of gas is worth the risk of damage to the enviroment.
I'd say that is a valid discussion point.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
You might not, but a lot of Prius and Escape used car buyers do. Used hybrids have good resale. They will only get better as gas goes up.

Since they no longer offer the regular 2.4L, people wanting a 2012+ Buick Lacrosse will have their choice between a 25/37mpg (eAssist) model and a 17/27mpg (V6) model.