Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Brought Home a 2013 Cadillac ATS Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Brought Home a 2013 Cadillac ATS Today

Name:  IMAG0837.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  39.9 KB
Not for good, but just a loaner for the weekend while the G8 is in for the never ending problems with the A/C again.

This ATS has the 3.6 A6 and AWD. To sum it up, I love it. The chassis is great. The whole time while I was driving it, I kept thinking about what the 6th gen. Camaro might be like on this chassis. The ATS is so nimble and fun to drive, and the AWD is the icing on the cake. Right off the bat I noticed how much more refined the 3.6 LFX is over the 3.6 LY7 that is in our Torrent GXP. In our Torrent power comes on in surges and is not very linear unless you go WOT. In the ATS power is smooth all the way through the power band. The transmission is smooth and shifts perfectly, unlike our Torrent's 6 speed which seems to always be looking for the right gear. GM did an excellent job with the exhaust tuning, its the first time I heard the 3.6 sound really good. Its quiet during normal driving, then step on the gas and you know your in a sports sedan. The brakes are excellent and this ATS has Brembo calipers.

I love the interior, fit and finish is excellent. Like in the CTS its a nice ensemble of stitched leather, metal & wood trim. I don't care for the way the instrument panel is laid out. It looks cool when lit up with blue and white gauges, but I would prefer a traditional layout of the gauges. Or at least one that flows better on the panel.

The only other negative I have on the ATS is that ingress and egress is really tight for me. I am 6'4" and I have to do some awkward moves with my legs to get in and still rub the steering wheel on the way in and out. Now once I am in its all good. I have plenty of head room, plenty of room for my legs to stretch out so its really comfortable once I am in.

I played around with Cadillac's new CUE system but I haven't had a chance to check all the features yet. The menu and layout is fairly simple and easy to follow.

I haven't researched the the trim levels of the ATS yet, but I am confused a bit with this car. It seems to be optioned with a lot of premium content like 3.6 V6 which is the top engine, AWD, White Diamond Tri-coat paint & Brembo brakes. But the car has the standard 17" wheels, no LED running lights or fog lights and no heated/cooled seats. I will have to go to the Cadillac website and do some research on the ATS.

One last thing, this car didn't turn any heads today and everybody at work thought it was a new CTS. I don't know if that is good or bad thing, but I suppose the same thing happens with BMW's.

Name:  IMAG0842.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  61.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0841.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  65.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0843.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0845.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  41.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0852.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  76.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0834.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  66.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0835.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0836.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  39.2 KB

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 10-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Re: Brought Home a 2013 Cadillac ATS Today

Awsome!!

I've been really taking a hard look at the ATS to replace our 98 Subaru. Been waiting for some reviews/feedback.

I bet this is the "Performance" Option. If you check out the ATS Lineup they've done a good job with setting Options with 4 levels - Std/Luxury/Performance/Premium

ATS Trim Levels
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM

I finally have seen a couple ATS Cadillacs on the road. (Ok they were both red, so it could have been the same car on different days.) My first impression was, "damn its small." I have a hard enough time crawling in and out of my 4th gen Camaro so I'm hoping if the 6th gen Camaro does end up on the Alpha Plus platform along with the next gen CTS that there's a little more width to the vehicle. Still, its a bitchin' car and definitely something GM has needed for sometime.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 PM

I was on the interstate today and a Mustang comes up behind me then comes around to pass. It slowly comes around and I noticed the driver looking. As we made eye contact the Mustang driver gives me a thumbs up. Thought that was pretty cool, and it was the first time someone has taken notice.

I thought there would have been a lot of discussion about this car here, has this forum imploded?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I thought there would have been a lot of discussion about this car here, has this forum imploded?
Pretty much. Most of the regulars have moved on to other forums.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 AM

So, I got to drive the ATS over the weekend as well. It was the V-series performance driving.

I was allowed to take the ATS to it's limits... hard breaking, slalom and 1/4 mile race.

I have to admit... the car is small and light (lightest of all it's competitors)... which makes it a lot of fun to place where you want it to go with the Brembos up front it really stops really well. And on top of it it's a good looking car!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
So, I got to drive the ATS over the weekend as well. It was the V-series performance driving.

I was allowed to take the ATS to it's limits... hard breaking, slalom and 1/4 mile race.

I have to admit... the car is small and light (lightest of all it's competitors)... which makes it a lot of fun to place where you want it to go with the Brembos up front it really stops really well. And on top of it it's a good looking car!
I'm supposed to go to the one in Phoenix next month... how was it?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM

Good writeup. I'm a big fan of the ATS from what I've seen of it. It's been getting fairly good reviews in the mags but all say further judgement will be reserved for tests against the 3 Series.

The important part for most of us is how will this alpha chassis be adapted for a 6th Gen Camaro.

Will be interesting to see what Caddy does for a ATS V Series.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Yea, when Chris sold the site, most everyone moved over to Cheers and gears or Branden's GMN site.

I came back here because I got a generated e-mail that reminded me this site exists lol!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Cool looking car. I like it.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Very possibly my next car if I get sick of the Mustang, which won't be a while. But by that time, a V version should be available which is the only trim I would consider anyway.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 PM

Nice, I saw a couple of them at the Chevy Dealership(was next to caddy, overlapping the lot) last weekend and my friend and wifey thought it was beautiful.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Yea, when Chris sold the site, most everyone moved over to Cheers and gears or Branden's GMN site.

I came back here because I got a generated e-mail that reminded me this site exists lol!
Yea, I was checking those sites as this forum is slowing down. I don't post much as I don't have much time, but I kinda miss how things were and I am trying to post to keep the fire going.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM

Might be a little changing of the guard. Most of us have been on this site for over a decade. Where has the time gone?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM

I wish the 3.6 had the option for the manual. So far it only looks like you can get it paired up with the 2.0.

Quick Reply: Brought Home a 2013 Cadillac ATS Today