Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Brace yourselves......

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Brace yourselves......

Fasten your seatbelts......some things at GM may be happening soon/have already happened which will be sad and shocking.

All NA Zeta programs appear to be cancelled.

Some GM divisions may be in jeopardy.

*Edited to be less cryptic - everyone happy?

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-18-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:26 PM

Re: Brace yourselves......

With all due respect, that's not more than a little cryptic...
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
same thing i thought when i saw the post
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Certain platforms cancelled.

Certain division(s) at real risk.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:29 PM

evok and Chazman at GMInsidenews are indicating that Zeta may be DEAD in North America. I hope the 2nd sportbike chassis is ready to take it's place.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
evok and Chazman at GMInsidenews are indicating that Zeta may be DEAD in North America. I hope the 2nd sportbike chassis is ready to take it's place.
well to get the ball rolling....
if zeta is dead, do we have a beta option?
if not, is there an extra platform that we don't know about?

and...what divisions may be at risk?
money has been sunk into each division really so i'm not sure what they would cut right away
pontiac, buick, saturn seem to be the only ones in jeopardy
but which one?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Sportbike chassis?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Eh, I'm just about numb with GM right now anyway...and its over so much more than just no F body. I love GM as much as anyone here, and there are some great cars out there right now, as I pointed out in another thread.

But the ones that ellicit real passion are not there. Vette = too much $$, GTO = no open roof option, and all the other cars are based on basic appliances. Some VERY nice appliances, don't get me wrong. But the closest thing to a soul stirrer is the Solstice, and that's too small for me...

I never thought I'd be yearning for a Mustang, but I'm starting to feel it. Ford just flat gets it in certain ways...

I'm remembering guion's words, and I'm going to wait and see how this plays out. guion, is THIS what you were talking about? I can guess the divisions in trouble, but lets not lose Zeta...
Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 PM

Remember Guy's post a while back about "things coming out which may or may not be true that may throw people in a panic" but it's really not that big of a deal? I'm betting this is the kind of stuff he was referring to.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Eh, I'm just about numb with GM right now anyway...and its over so much more than just no F body. I love GM as much as anyone here, and there are some great cars out there right now, as I pointed out in another thread.

But the ones that ellicit real passion are not there. Vette = too much $$, GTO = no open roof option, and all the other cars are based on basic appliances. Some VERY nice appliances, don't get me wrong. But the closest thing to a soul stirrer is the Solstice, and that's too small for me...

I never thought I'd be yearning for a Mustang, but I'm starting to feel it. Ford just flat gets it in certain ways...

I'm remembering guion's words, and I'm going to wait and see how this plays out. guion, is THIS what you were talking about? I can guess the divisions in trouble, but lets not lose Zeta...
Fair enough, I guess, except then what was THIS all about?
Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Remember Guy's post a while back about "things coming out which may or may not be true that may throw people in a panic" but it's really not that big of a deal? I'm betting this is the kind of stuff he was referring to.
No crap. What is with the freaking 'bandwagon doom and gloom what is wrong with GM I'm still bitter over the loss of the F-Body even though GM has way more enthusiast-oriented cars than they did in the '90s and in '02 when the F-car died' stuff in this 5th-Gen forum over the last few months?

I'm not saying anything about whether or not the rumors are true (I have no idea about most of them), but dang everyone is so negative lately...

*sigh*
Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 PM

I agree with you...that's why I came to the conclusion to just wait it out. I just really, really want an enthusiast car again. The Mustang's success is driving that home with me more and more.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 PM

GM needs more RWD and AWD ASAP!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:49 PM

I'm getting sick of all of the 'I know something you don't know' threads on here lately. Why don't you shut the hell up if you're just going to stir the crap in here? Tell us something or get lost.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Sportbike chassis?
Guy made an awesome post in one of the long threads we had about 1.5-2 weeks ago about a senario where a sport bike(Camaro) had 2 options of chassis to use one was a luxury chassis(Sigma) and the other was a toned down version of the luxury chassis(Zeta). He made it pretty clear what he was talking about it was a good read, I will see if I can find it.

Edit: here is Guy's post on the topic. Lets hope one of the 2 senarios plays out.

Last edited by 91_z28_4me; 03-18-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:55 PM

I agree with you...that's why I came to the conclusion to just wait it out. I just really, really want an enthusiast car again. The Mustang's success is driving that home with me more and more.
Yes, but look at the whole picture. Which company has more "enthusiast" cars now or in the immediate ('06 model year, as in this fall) future? Sure, the Mustang is there without a direct competitor (sort of, though really the GTO has the hardtop Mustang GTs covered, and the V6 Stang isn't exactly a hardcore enthusiast's car...). But what else? Ford has the Stang and the GT. They don't even have the SVT focus or the Lightning anymore? I don't see any hot-rod versions of the Lincoln lineup. GM has the Vette, XLR, CTS-V, Cobalt SS, Ion RL, GTO, Grand Prix GXP (and Impala/MC SS, which you said you might buy), SSR (tiny niche, I know), CTS-V, upcoming STS-V, upcoming LS2 Trailblazer SS. I'm sure Ford has a few "upcoming" cars too, but seriously, it isn't like GM offers squat. DCX has the SRT-4, but that is about it for affordable performance. The hemi-powered (and heavy, fullsize 4 door) Magnum/300/Charger are near or over 30 grand (pushing 40). I'm not saying most of the GM cars I listed are affordable, but it isn't like competing companies just offer high-po cars for dirt cheap left and right. What does Toyota have? Honda? The fact is that right now, NO ONE is in the moderately priced V8 rwd sports coupe game except the Mustang and, more or less, the GTO.

Being only partially represented in that market by the GTO != not offering any enthusiast cars anymore...

Last edited by 96_Camaro_B4C; 03-18-2005 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Brace yourselves......