Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Bob Lutz is old

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 PM

Question Bob Lutz is old

I know, obvious right?

My point is, at 74 he's not getting younger. Even in as good a shape as he appears to be, he doesn't look to have too many "good years" left in him. If he should pass on, who would replace him? Is there anyone at GM that he can leave as a successor with good conscience?

If he's gone sooner than later, I fear GM's hopes of a successful turn-around may "go" with him.

Thoughts...
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 PM

Re: Bob Lutz is old

Me.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:13 PM

After initially meeting him some two years ago at the Kappa introduction and as recent as the Zeta lite introduction.

I wouldn't say he's "feeling good" in fact a little short of breathe. It's to be expected. He's older.

So, nobody, please do not take my comments that he's old and dieing, mmmmkay? (consider that my disclaimer).

As for who would replace him? There is nobody in my mind with the heart, desire and passion of American automotives that could right now if something *were* to happen anytime soon. Lutz is the kind of guy I appreciate. The 'Say it like it is, do what I say' kind of guy. It's always worked for him, and I feel others do not have the "fortitude" that he does.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:24 PM

I believe Bob Lutz's father is still alive and well, and drives himself to work everyday.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I believe Bob Lutz's father is still alive and well, and drives himself to work everyday.
that's great. i wonder where he works.... he's got to be nearing 100.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 AM

I think a job like he has is enough to keep a man alive. He may have some issues, but going to work and proving the nay-sayers wrong can drive a man to greatness..

Think about the older people you know that still work as hard as they ever did.. My grandpa still goes out and drives tractors when he can, he hangs around the dairy.. he is 75. Without a place to go and something to do I would imagine he would not be nearly as good of shape he is in now.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 AM

Some fast facts fwiw: Bob Lutz is a vegetarian and likes the occasional cigar.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's funny that the guy whose handle is "morbid" posts a thread about what to do when someone dies. Must be an appropriate name...

I know lots of people at GM that I would trust in that position. Unfortunately, they're nowhere near high enough on the corporate ladder to be candidates for the position.

Maybe it should be Scott Settlemier. (Here's a promotion, Scott. Now can I drive the Concept?)
Old 03-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Me.
Nah, me.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:06 PM

My point is, at 74 he's not getting younger. Even in as good a shape as he appears to be, he doesn't look to have too many "good years" left in him. If he should pass on, who would replace him? Is there anyone at GM that he can leave as a successor with good conscience?

If he's gone sooner than later, I fear GM's hopes of a successful turn-around may "go" with him.

Thoughts...
My thoughts:
GM design czar, Ed Welburn, or
Pull former Holden CEO Peter Hanenberger back from retirement.

Both have done some pretty amazing things, even though the GM bureaucracy worked against them. Welburn getting room to push the design envelope (not to mention turning GMC into a powerhouse in the 90s before his chief of design stint, and gaining support to get SSR made), and Hanenberger for basically thumbing his nose at GM-NA, and making Holden the most profitable division at GM per vehicle volume.... until he retired and GM-NA took over.

Long shots:
Mark Reuss, GM High Performance Division.
Dave Hill, Team Corvette Chief Engineer (for about 10-15 years I believe).

Last edited by guionM; 03-13-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I think it's funny that the guy whose handle is "morbid" posts a thread about what to do when someone dies. Must be an appropriate name...
hey, you got me...
Old 03-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
and Hanenberger for basically thumbing his nose at GM-NA, and making Holden the most profitable division at GM per vehicle volume.... until he retired and GM-NA took over.
well, that's kind of the scary part init... that's why I posted my concern in the first place. GM is notorious for mishandling things at the upper levels.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
My thoughts:
GM design czar, Ed Welburn,
Welburn is the current head of GM design....you must be thinking Wayne Cherry?...slackass
Old 03-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Welburn is the current head of GM design....you must be thinking Wayne Cherry?...slackass
Cherry is under Welburn. Welburn moves to Lutz czar position and Cherry takes over the actual design studios and provides direction. Maybe Brian Nezbit will move up a little, I like most of his designs.

Reading comprehension>Branden

Old 03-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Cherry retired some time ago.

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz is old