Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:39 PM

BMW 335i

Introducing the latest expression of individual style - the all-new BMW 3 Series Coupe. With totally new looks, the newest BMW Coupe once again sets the benchmark for elegant design, luxury and value. In true BMW tradition, it also establishes a new standard of performance and driving dynamics with the introduction of an exceptional engine: the first inline six-cylinder with twin-turbochargers, high-precision fuel injection, and an all-aluminum crankcase.

In addition to the standard six-speed manual, both models will be offered with an available six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. Designed for responsiveness, the new automatic enhances driving dynamics without sacrificing fuel efficiency.

An additional dimension of driving dynamics, with the benefit of outstanding traction, will be offered with the introduction of BMW's xDrive all-wheel drive. BMW xDrive is the most sophisticated and responsive all-wheel drive system on the market. It has proven its merits, in terms of agility and safety, in the ten models currently offered with xDrive in the U.S. Beginning this fall these merits will become available to Coupe drivers for the first time.

The combination of turbocharging and direct gasoline fuel injection offers a new dimension to efficient dynamics. Featuring high-precision fuel injection, the engine boasts a highly sophisticated and advanced direct fuel injection system. In true BMW fashion this results in outstanding performance combined with a significant reduction of fuel consumption.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most economical option to boost engine power and performance. For example, the turbocharged inline six weighs approximately 150 lbs less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder displacing 4.0 liters. And this lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the weight distribution of the overall car.

This new high-performance engine gives the light, aerodynamically sculpted Coupe truly outstanding acceleration and flexibility on the road. The twin turbo powerplant in the BMW 335i Coupe develops its power and performance much more spontaneously than a turbocharged engine of conventional design. Thanks to their lower inertia, the two small turbochargers build up pressure much faster than a single, large turbocharger, thus eliminating even the slightest turbo "lag".

Specifications
General Information
Vehicle Type:
2-door coupe,
production car
Price:
Unavailable
Fuel Mileage:
Unavailable
Drivetrain
Configuration:
Front Engine/RWD
Engine:
Twin-Turbo Inline-6
Displacement:
3000 cc
Horsepower:
300 bhp @ ---- rpm
Torque:
300 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm
Max RPM:
7000 rpm
Transmission:
6-Speed Manual/Steptronic
Dimensions
Weight:
Unavailable
Height:
Unavailable
Length:
Unavailable
Width:
Unavailable
Wheelbase:
Unavailable
Track (f/r):
Unavailable
Performance
0-60 mph:
5.3 sec
0-100 mph:
Unavailable
¼ mile:
Unavailable
Top Speed:
150 mph
Lateral acceleration:
Unavailable
Braking 60-0 mph:
Unavailable
Old 04-25-2006, 12:04 AM

Re: BMW 335i

hmmm ... bigger twins ... 425-450fwhp not out of the question. Time for headers.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:43 AM

425-450hp is probably not out of the question with bigger twins, but it seems kind of ashame to give up the instant throttle response BMW worked so hard for and trade it in for some inevitable turbo lag. I would bet that driving this car in bone stock form is going to almost be like driving a car with a big NA motor.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most economical option to boost engine power and performance. For example, the turbocharged inline six weighs approximately 150 lbs less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder displacing 4.0 liters. And this lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the weight distribution of the overall car.
Hmm - what are the odds that this twin-turbo straight-six ends up weighing more than an aluminum-block GenIV? Turbos and all the plumbing to support them aren't light.

Regardless, the tuners will have fun with this thing.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM

BMW really lost it's styling advantage it used to have over the competition.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 AM

I have given up on BMW (and MB, and Lexus, to an extent) ever making sense again with their numbering schemes.

A 2007 328 should be a 3 series with a 2.8L, right? Nope, silly man, that would be a 3.0L. Of course, it is detuned from the 255hp 3.0L that debuted with the sedan last year... And what about that newfangled 335? That would be a 3 series with a 3.5L, right? Nope, sorry again. That is also a 3.0L, but it has turbos. I suppose calling it 330T or 330TT or 330t would be too hard, so they'll just make up numbers.

As for the new coupe body, I'm reserving final judgement. But based on pics (haven't seen it live yet), I think the sedan looks better.

Both look better than the 5 and the horrid, putrid 7.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Is that engine going into the sedan too?

The last gen coupe looked better. I was hoping for a mini 6 series.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I have given up on BMW (and MB, and Lexus, to an extent) ever making sense again with their numbering schemes.

A 2007 328 should be a 3 series with a 2.8L, right? Nope, silly man, that would be a 3.0L. Of course, it is detuned from the 255hp 3.0L that debuted with the sedan last year... And what about that newfangled 335? That would be a 3 series with a 3.5L, right? Nope, sorry again. That is also a 3.0L, but it has turbos. I suppose calling it 330T or 330TT or 330t would be too hard, so they'll just make up numbers.

As for the new coupe body, I'm reserving final judgement. But based on pics (haven't seen it live yet), I think the sedan looks better.

Both look better than the 5 and the horrid, putrid 7.
Cars are going in the same direction that computer CPUs have already gone. Once upon a time, just knowing the speed in MHz or GHz was enough to get a good idea of the performance it put out. Not anymore. You have 1.6 GHz Pentium M processors that can stomp out 2.6GHz P4s in every single category plus some, and low clock speed low power high efficiency AMD processors that do much the same - stomp out much higher GHz processors.

So what did they resort to doing? Rating the processors with a numbering scheme that represented the equivalent speed that they'd traditionally have put out to hit their actual performance numbers. In other words they started saying "this is the equivalent of a 3.6GHz processor even though it's only 2.2GHz", etc, etc...

Same thing is happening to cars now. Lexus increases the equivalent displacement when adding hybrid systems to their vehicles to represent the rough increase in power experienced. Such as the LS600h is really a 5.0L V8 w/ hybrid system, but puts out 450 horsepower which Lexus figures they would typically need a naturally aspirated 6.0L to do.

BMW is doing much the same by naming a detuned 3.0L a 325 (equivalent to a 2.5L), and a twin turbo'd 3.0L a 335 (equivalent to a 3.5L). Though in this case I don't really understand their thinking if they're telling us its power output is like that of a 4.0L V8...
Old 04-25-2006, 01:43 PM

I think the new G35 sedan and coupe will eat into the 3 series quite a bit.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Cars are going in the same direction that computer CPUs have already gone. Once upon a time, just knowing the speed in MHz or GHz was enough to get a good idea of the performance it put out. Not anymore. You have 1.6 GHz Pentium M processors that can stomp out 2.6GHz P4s in every single category plus some, and low clock speed low power high efficiency AMD processors that do much the same - stomp out much higher GHz processors.

So what did they resort to doing? Rating the processors with a numbering scheme that represented the equivalent speed that they'd traditionally have put out to hit their actual performance numbers. In other words they started saying "this is the equivalent of a 3.6GHz processor even though it's only 2.2GHz", etc, etc...

Same thing is happening to cars now. Lexus increases the equivalent displacement when adding hybrid systems to their vehicles to represent the rough increase in power experienced. Such as the LS600h is really a 5.0L V8 w/ hybrid system, but puts out 450 horsepower which Lexus figures they would typically need a naturally aspirated 6.0L to do.

BMW is doing much the same by naming a detuned 3.0L a 325 (equivalent to a 2.5L), and a twin turbo'd 3.0L a 335 (equivalent to a 3.5L). Though in this case I don't really understand their thinking if they're telling us its power output is like that of a 4.0L V8...

i think you're right about this except that they aren't really trying to match the new numbers to old figures. i think they just want to make sure the numbers are bigger on higher power cars.

or maybe they are just being cocky saying everyone else needs a 4.0L, while we could have done it with 3.5L(using a 3.0 + turbos). marketing is weird
Old 04-25-2006, 03:58 PM

I don't think turbos are really "the most economical" option of increasing horsepower. Ah well.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I don't think turbos are really "the most economical" option of increasing horsepower. Ah well.
In terms of retaining fuel efficiency and making a fun and usable power band, they can be.

In terms of just outright cost of production and possible cost of maintenance 100k miles into ownership... maybe not...
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by danno02SS
hmmm ... bigger twins ... 425-450fwhp not out of the question. Time for headers.
It will definitely be interesting to see what one of those can do when it comes out of the tuner shop.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 PM

For example, the turbocharged inline six weighs approximately 150 lbs less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder displacing 4.0 liters. And this lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the weight distribution of the overall car.
Are they comparing it to an Iron block 8!? But compared to an aluminum 4L 8 thats crap. The weight of the turbos, extra piping, and intercooler accounts for a lot of extra mass. I'd guess easily you're adding well over 40lb there. Somehow I dont see a 190lb difference between a TT I6 and a N/A I8 or N/A V8 (assuming all aluminum blocks)...

Which just means that BMW is trying to make people assume the car is a lot lighter, when it just isnt. I'd bet the new front driveline is heavier than the last generation of N/A motors...

Also with "twin turbo" in the VIN, insurance on those things is going to go up too.

Then with the fact that BMW's front subframes are so thin now to keep that weight balance in check they get worse damage from lower speed accidents than they used to, the insurance is going to keep rising.

On the plus side, they're so ugly now people wont want to steal them, so that'll offset BMW's other stupid decisions.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Is it just me, or do the body panels seem to have large gaps where they come together?

Quick Reply: BMW 335i