Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Backup Camera Mandate Part of National Debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Re: Backup Camera Mandate Part of National Debate

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Other times, we get 10 airbags we don't want.
Actually only 2 airbags are required by law. Cars like the Sonic and Cruze with 10 are because that is what the public wants. Safety is a big reason people are afraid to buy small cars.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Serious question: why aren't the beeping backup sensors enough? I mean really, if we're going to go with cameras to see behind you, might as well have blind spot cameras and cameras in the front bumper so that you can see things out front that are shorter than the hoodline as well.

They should be optional. You can install all kinds of expensive technology but you can't install basic driving skills.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM

I think every car should be legislated to come with a pro driver. Safer cars, and job creation in one package!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Serious question: why aren't the beeping backup sensors enough? I mean really, if we're going to go with cameras to see behind you, might as well have blind spot cameras and cameras in the front bumper so that you can see things out front that are shorter than the hoodline as well.

They should be optional. You can install all kinds of expensive technology but you can't install basic driving skills.
All those things will be next. Its a slippery slope with these government types. I am sure the folks who make and sell the equipment are donating generously to their congress.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
If they HAVE to put an LCD screen in every car maybe we'll start getting these basic options for free instead of having to upgrade.
Nothing is free. Lol
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I love the backup camera on the GM cars when it is in the rear view mirror. I would love it to be standard on all cars. My only concern is that it adds cost and if it breaks I would fail my annual state safety inspection. It is nice to have but not a necessity. Also, there is a big difference between backing up in a Silverado 3500 or Suburban and a Chevy Sonic. If this were to ever become law I would hope that it would be only for cars over say 190" in length.
You do not need it to be a standard feature in order to buy a backup camera. This is merely another attempt by the government to make a mandate on automobiles which, like you said, adds more cost to the base model. IMO this is just politics and the auto industry would be more than happy if it were a mandate because they would then have an excuse to charge more for their cars.

Notice the auto companies are not complaining because this is a chance to charge more money for the base model cars.

Last edited by matLT1; 11-28-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by matLT1
You do not need it to be a standard feature in order to buy a backup camera. This is merely another attempt by the government to make a mandate on automobiles which, like you said, adds more cost to the base model. IMO this is just politics and the auto industry would be more than happy if it were a mandate because they would then have an excuse to charge more for their cars.

Notice the auto companies are not complaining because this is a chance to charge more money for the base model cars.
Charging more money doesn't mean more profit. The only reason I would like it standard equipment is so that I can get a used 1LT Chevy with it and not have to buy a LTZ for the option.