Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

AutoWeek: No sedan planned for next Neon....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

AutoWeek: No sedan planned for next Neon....

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101901
Old 03-02-2005, 03:43 PM

Re: AutoWeek: No sedan planned for next Neon....

Thats kind of stupid but fits with DC's wagons for dodge strategy.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:54 PM

Chrysler adding too many doors to its vehicles? Why is anyone surpised after what they did to the Charger.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:06 PM

what does this mean for the next gen SRT-4???
Old 03-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Apparently dead

I was afraid Dodge would screw it up. In a moment of insanity last fall I came VERY close to trading the GP for an SRT-4...it was that much fun! But then I figured the next gen SRT-4 would probably be a way better car, and held off...

Should have known Dodge would goof it up. Its gonna hurt their street credit with kids, big time...hey red, no derogatory comments for this one? Oh wait...you like DCX
Old 03-03-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Apparently dead

I was afraid Dodge would screw it up. In a moment of insanity last fall I came VERY close to trading the GP for an SRT-4...it was that much fun! But then I figured the next gen SRT-4 would probably be a way better car, and held off...

Should have known Dodge would goof it up. Its gonna hurt their street credit with kids, big time...hey red, no derogatory comments for this one? Oh wait...you like DCX
Not dead at all guy!! Its based on a platform that will underpin quite a few cars including sedans. There are definitely plans for a next gen srt4, its sold twice what the original projections said it would. Its been a nice niche cash cow for Chrysler. To tell the truth, I would love to see an SRT version of this Caliber as well. If it handles anything like the vibe, it will be a VERY fun car with the SRT treatment.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:01 AM

AFAIK, SRT-4 is still on. Perhaps called Dodge Rebel SRT-4.

Also, a Dodge version of Mitsu's EVO is still reportedly in the works.

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-03-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Chrysler adding too many doors to its vehicles? Why is anyone surpised after what they did to the Charger.
Can't argue with that.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by falchulk
Not dead at all guy!! Its based on a platform that will underpin quite a few cars including sedans. There are definitely plans for a next gen srt4, its sold twice what the original projections said it would. Its been a nice niche cash cow for Chrysler. To tell the truth, I would love to see an SRT version of this Caliber as well. If it handles anything like the vibe, it will be a VERY fun car with the SRT treatment.
It all comes down to priorities. DCX has prioritized the 5-door Caliber because a PT-style people carrier has a better sales prospect and better profit margins than a 4-door sedan. The Caliber is important for the European market, and believe me, expansion of the Chrysler brand in Europe is going to happen. (The only thing that surprises me is that the Caliber is badged as a Dodge, if only because the Dodge-nameplate hasn't previously been used in Europe. I personally thought that there were trademark issues with the use of the Dodge name in Europe?)

The good news for the SRT-4 fans is that there will be another car wearing that badge. The bad news is that DCX might give the "entry-level sedan" segment a rest for a model year - or two. The Neon nameplate is going to be gone for good and a very short hiatus could help the prospects of an upcoming direct replacement.

In any case, DCX is making the right call. GM should have pushed the HHR forward while leaving the Cobalt on the backburner. Sadly, the very-late HHR will be "doubleteamed" by two DCX products - the new Dodge Caliber and the next generation ChryslerPT). GM has also lost the opportunity to launch the HHR with a high-performance drivetrain, and there's a very good chance they'll be beaten to the punch when DCX introduces a turbocharged version of the new 2.4 liter.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:52 AM

DCX has made it a priority to focus on wagons for the dodge brand.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by redzed
In any case, DCX is making the right call. GM should have pushed the HHR forward while leaving the Cobalt on the backburner. Sadly, the very-late HHR will be "doubleteamed" by two DCX products - the new Dodge Caliber and the next generation ChryslerPT). GM has also lost the opportunity to launch the HHR with a high-performance drivetrain, and there's a very good chance they'll be beaten to the punch when DCX introduces a turbocharged version of the new 2.4 liter.
Chevrolet definatly could have used a Dodge Caliber/Vibe/HHR type product sooner, but I don't know about doing it at the expense of the Cobalt. The caviliar was EXTREMELY old and needed to be replaced back in 2001. It would have been nice to have both Delta cars a few years sooner.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28x
Chevrolet definatly could have used a Dodge Caliber/Vibe/HHR type product sooner, but I don't know about doing it at the expense of the Cobalt. The caviliar was EXTREMELY old and needed to be replaced back in 2001. It would have been nice to have both Delta cars a few years sooner.
The HHR was the only vital product that was slated for the Delta platform. Small people carriers are per/unit profit generators and you can actually sell them in Europe and Japan.

The Cobalt is an improvement on the J-car based Cavalier, but it still would be utterly unsaleable in Europe or Japan. If the Cobalt breaks even GM will be lucky and we all have to admit there never would have been a direct Cavalier replacement if it wasn't for those pesky CAFE averages.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:03 PM

It all comes down to priorities. DCX has prioritized the 5-door Caliber because a PT-style people carrier has a better sales prospect and better profit margins than a 4-door sedan. The Caliber is important for the European market, and believe me, expansion of the Chrysler brand in Europe is going to happen. (The only thing that surprises me is that the Caliber is badged as a Dodge, if only because the Dodge-nameplate hasn't previously been used in Europe. I personally thought that there were trademark issues with the use of the Dodge name in Europe?)

The good news for the SRT-4 fans is that there will be another car wearing that badge. The bad news is that DCX might give the "entry-level sedan" segment a rest for a model year - or two. The Neon nameplate is going to be gone for good and a very short hiatus could help the prospects of an upcoming direct replacement.

Hold on to yer hats: I concur with Redzed! Gee, twice in as many months.

Where I disagree is the view Cobalt should have been put on the back burner. When you look at the potential volume Cobalt is going to sell at, and the fact that it's going to define Chevrolet to 1st time buyers, Cobalt is extremely important. Moreso than the HHR.

Also disagree with the previous post. I think the Cobalt would do better in Europe than you think, red.

Last edited by guionM; 03-05-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guionM
Hold on to yer hats: I concur with Redzed! Gee, twice in as many months.

Where I disagree is the view Cobalt should have been put on the back burner. When you look at the potential volume Cobalt is going to sell at, and the fact that it's going to define Chevrolet to 1st time buyers, Cobalt is extremely important. Moreso than the HHR.
1. The "1st time buyer" theory is something that I question. The whole idea of "brand loyalty" is a dated concept, especially for non-prestige makes. You really have to wonder if Cobalt ownership will lead to life-long loyalty to GM products. I doubt it.

You also have to remember that the sort of people who buy entry-level compact sedans these days might not even be "upwardly mobile." There were plenty of economically distressed people who purchased Cavaliers because it was the only car they could get financed on. There are also plenty of elderly buyers who buy small cars because of limited incomes.

2. I think that it's hard to deny that the HHR has a far greater potential as a profit generator.

Originally Posted by guionM
Also disagree with the previous post. I think the Cobalt
The Cobalt is too dated in ride and handling (closer to the last gen. Golf than would do better in Europe than you think, red.
The Cobalt doesn't have the right suspension set-up to ride and handle to European norms (the suspension is a "cloned" from the last generation Golf/Jetta, not the current one), it's too long for its for the comparable European market segment, and its too bland in styling to compete with recent European designs (consider offering like the Megane II and Citroen C4). Even the Cobalt's 2-door and 4-door body styles are wrong for the European and Japanese markets. (For instance the 4-door Jetta has never come close to popularity of the 5-door Golf in Europe. And in Japan, Honda's never bothered to offer any of the three generations of Civic coupe.)

I'm not even getting into the powertrain issues - for instance the lack of a diesel. Considering that Opel didn't want anything to do with the Delta-platform, you really have to wonder if the engineering work was done to insure that a diesel installation would have decent refinement. (A big part of the first generation PT Cruiser's lack of total success in Europe was the diesel refinement issue.)

When it comes down to it, a Cobalt wouldn't be any more competive than the "Chevrolet" Alero that sold in Europe a few years ago or the "Toyota" Cavalier that floundered in Japan.

Last edited by redzed; 03-05-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:12 PM

1. The "1st time buyer" theory is something that I question. The whole idea of "brand loyalty" is a dated concept, especially for non-prestige makes. You really have to wonder if Cobalt ownership will lead to life-long loyalty to GM products. I doubt it.
I agree completely, no one today is a loyal customer, let alone a lifetime loyal customer. However, the 1st car you get from a brand creates a permanent impression in your mind.

My sister's 1st new car was a Cavalier & she had a great experience with it. Even though she has also owned Ford, she still thinks high of Chevrolet. My 1st (fairly) new car was a Mustang 5.0, and I ran the dickens out of it and it stayed dependable, solid, till I sold it at over 225K miles, and I still like Ford. That's how Japanese cars are keeping their percieved reputation of quality, despite not being much better than US cars today.

2. I think that it's hard to deny that the HHR has a far greater potential as a profit generator.
Again, no disagreement there if you are talking on a per-unit basis. But Cobalt has the potential to sell 200,000 per year (like Cavalier did for a while). GM's going to be lucky to sell 100,000 HHRs. Even if GM makes only half the profit of HHRs (though I doubt the spread's going to be that big), it's still going to make GM a great return and do alot more to spread their new "quality" image to the public.

The Cobalt doesn't have the right suspension set-up to ride and handle to European norms (the suspension is a "cloned" from the last generation Golf/Jetta, not the current one), it's too long for its for the comparable European market segment, and its too bland in styling to compete with recent European designs (consider offering like the Megane II and Citroen C4). Even the Cobalt's 2-door and 4-door body styles are wrong for the European and Japanese markets. (For instance the 4-door Jetta has never come close to popularity of the 5-door Golf in Europe. And in Japan, Honda's never bothered to offer any of the three generations of Civic coupe.)
Euro suspensions are stiffer because Euro roads are better, compared to our rough pothold covered roads. If the Cobalt were to be sold there, the fact that it's Delta chassis is identical to the Delta under the Opel Astra means simply switching spring rates will cover it.

As for powertrains, again simply a plug in from GM-Opel via the Astra.

When it comes down to it, a Cobalt wouldn't be any more competive than the "Chevrolet" Alero that sold in Europe a few years ago or the "Toyota" Cavalier that floundered in Japan.
Japan is a nationalist country. Buying anything imported outside BMW or Mercedes Benz is frowned upon. Even non-luxury European cars & Japanese cars made in the US that measure up to Japanese standards have a difficult time there. Especially with the protectionist tarrifs that jack up prices (once as high as 30%!)

Quick Reply: AutoWeek: No sedan planned for next Neon....