Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Autoweek: Nissan Sport Concept, Scion competitor? Or is it a VW Golf-fighter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Autoweek: Nissan Sport Concept, Scion competitor? Or is it a VW Golf-fighter?

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102000
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...rt/pages/1.htm
This car strikes me as an automatic VW Golf competitor for the European market. However, Nissan Europe swears that there will be no traditional hatchback in their range - only crossover SUVs (Nissan Actic concept) and MPVs (Nissan Quashquai concept).

Despite all of the "smaller-than-Sentra" references, this car is actually on the same platform as all of the other Sentra replacements. This car is just the first of four Sentra replacements. We can expect a conventional sedan (probably not just a Japanese homemarket product), at least two crossover/SUV/MPV products and even an Azeal-inspire coupe.

As another bit of news, I'd also like to announce that the U.S. should be getting yet another SUV - this time on the Nissan Primera platform which is intermediate in size between the Sentra and Altima platforms. The product in question is the next-generation Nissan X-trail. (Incidentally, Canada already has the current X-trail, but it never came to the U.S.) If you can get past the wacky detailing, the Nissan Zaroot concept gives a very general impression of the styling themes.

This car strikes me as an automatic VW Golf competitor for the European market. However, Nissan Europe swears that there will be no traditional hatchback in their line-up - only crossover SUVs and MPVs.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Re: Autoweek: Nissan Sport Concept, Scion competitor? Or is it a VW Golf-fighter?

It has an Acura meets Nissan Quest look to it. Not bad, I like it better than all the Scions
Old 03-18-2005, 03:16 PM

Re: Autoweek: Nissan Sport Concept, Scion competitor? Or is it a VW Golf-fighter?

Looks just like a reskin of the Renault Clio Sport V6. No surprise, Nissan and Renault are in cahoots, right? Either way, they don't need the Nissan in the European market since it'd directly compete with the Renault which is already there.

http://www.autosrapidos.com/superaut...ortv624v01.jpg
Old 03-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Sharp rental box. Not for me. I'm so suprised redzed posted something on a Nissan...

Old 03-18-2005, 04:18 PM

looks like a Nissian Murano

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelAttributes/0,,120858|31001|,00.html
Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MunchE
Looks just like a reskin of the Renault Clio Sport V6. No surprise, Nissan and Renault are in cahoots, right?
Actually, this car is based on the Renault Megane II. Overall, the look is fairly Renault-ish. However, unlike the completely over-the-top Megane II, this vehicle is pretty subdued for a concept.

Originally Posted by MunchE
Either way, they don't need the Nissan in the European market since it'd directly compete with the Renault which is already there.
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

The real reason Nissan is leaving the Golf-class family hatchback market is because of the pretty much complete failure of the Nissan Almera - a car that is pretty much a hatchback version of the current pre-Renault Sentra.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:53 PM
MP

I like it. Chevy should do something with the Aveo.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:27 AM

I actually really like that concept. I also like Nissan