Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Autoextremist: "Don't be surprised to see a Camaro concept this January".

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 AM

Re: Autoextremist: "Don't be surprised to see a Camaro concept this January".

Is there any doubt that there WILL be a Camaro in the next few years? It seems about 99% certain there will be, so those of you "keeping the faith", will only have to keep it another 1 1/2 to 3 years before you're able to say "I told you the Camaro was coming back!"

If you did "keep the faith" for 5-7 years, God bless ya. Wonder how many got fed up and went elsewhere?

And Z284EVER...you show the car 6-9 months before it is released, ala the C6 Z06. 18-21 months is too long, IMHO.

A concept would be somewhat different. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a RWD 2dr Coupe concept in January, that GM is "studying" for production - and really planning to produce within 18-24 months.

There. No winks. No hints. No beating around the proverbial bush to make it look like I'm smarter than anybody else. And no real evidence or proof either. Just pure speculation, and no shame in saying so.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Option 3) They finish up the GMT-900 trucks, then put all those resources on the Camaro.... get it rerady to go ASAP, and stop bleeding off tons of sales each year to Ford in an uncontested market!!!

With that in mind, show the car in 6 months, then have the production car ready to go sooner!
That is exactly what needs to be done. Show it in Jan. 2006 then sell it spring 2007 (right in time for early summer). Once the GMT900's are pushed through the Camaro should be a top priority.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:51 AM

yea, but what about the family sedans, monte carlo, impala and such.. aren't those also in need to get updated off the w-body?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ken S
yea, but what about the family sedans, monte carlo, impala and such.. aren't those also in need to get updated off the w-body?
I think they need to take a backseat to Camaro at this point.

Impala and Monte Carlo are freshened for 2006.
LaCrosse was all-new for 2005
Grand Prix was all-new for 2004, and has GXP right now, though it could use a new interior...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
And Z284EVER...you show the car 6-9 months before it is released, ala the C6 Z06. 18-21 months is too long, IMHO.
I generally agree with this...

Remember how long it seemed to brign SSR to market? The car seemed "old" (no retro pun intended) by the time it reached the market.

Of course, Solstice seems to be bucking that trend, so maybe it's a non factor.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:07 PM

The Extremist says don't be suprised to see a Camaro concept this January, and wasn't the Extremist one of those media members that was invited into GM's studios for a sneak peak at their supposedly very impressive future models?

Now, maybe I'm really stretching to make 2+2 equal 4 here, but I do kind of find it interesting. Maybe I'm just searching for the perverbial ray of hope.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
The Extremist says don't be suprised to see a Camaro concept this January, and wasn't the Extremist one of those media members that was invited into GM's studios for a sneak peak at their supposedly very impressive future models?

Now, maybe I'm really stretching to make 2+2 equal 4 here, but I do kind of find it interesting. Maybe I'm just searching for the perverbial ray of hope.
That's a very good point...
Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 PM

But recent mathematical studies have proven that in the 6th dimension of the automotive industry, due to cost overruns and production delays, 2+2 actually equals 5, not 4.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
But recent mathematical studies have proven that in the 6th dimension of the automotive industry, due to cost overruns and production delays, 2+2 actually equals 5, not 4.

Are you in accounting?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Here is what I think.

Camaro production begins in 07. 06 GM shows concept car that is based on the SS Concept. Considering that the SS concept car was GM's way of giving us a glimpse of a future "f-body", you were looking at the next gen Camaro all this time.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
Camaro production begins in 07. 06 GM shows concept car that is based on the SS Concept. Considering that the SS concept car was GM's way of giving us a glimpse of a future "f-body", you were looking at the next gen Camaro all this time.
Except for the fact that most people don't like the thought of a shortened SS being the next Camaro and Red Planet told us some time ago that the SS concept has nothing to do with Camaro.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 PM

The more time goes on, the more i think the next Camaro will be a "retro" design, especially in light of the current stang's success.....( kind of a "captain obvious" remark, but hey).....whereas the last few years, in my own mind, it was pretty much 50/50, im thinking its more like 75/25 now....cause, even though many of us "camaro lovers" would prefer it be a "new" design, or an "evolutionary" design, its just toooooo easy a cash cow to make it retro, cause the "sheep" ( general public/non enthusiasts) will go for it as well..........but personally, wether it be retro or not, if it stirs my soul the way the prvious ones have, im all for it but, im still banking on retro for the 5th gen. jmo
Old 06-29-2005, 12:56 PM

I have to agree with everyone that it is good to see some glimmer of hope in the future. However, I think what everyone is missing the main point of the article, that GM f’d up big time. They’ve obviously lost sales to the new mustang that they’re not going to get back. If GM had redesigned the Camaro for the 03 MY, like they should have, they would have had the “new mustang”. I don’t want to hear crap about how there wasn’t the market, then how come the mustang was selling ~100k when the Camaro was still around. Or any crap about the whole contract thing. There were ways to work around it if they wanted to keep the Camaro bad enough. There’s no denying that GM screwed up and they’re paying for it and will continue to pay for it in the future in the pony car market.

We continually hear on this board to “Keep the Faith”. Well, many of us enthusiasts, myself included, have kept the faith. But real people don’t keep the faith, they go buy something else. And even enthusiasts get fed up with it and eventually go somewhere else.

It’s been hinted at numerous times on here that we’re very probably going to see ‘something’ next year in Detroit. So, it looks like the best case scenario is that we’ll see some limited production ’07 MY’s. Worst case, IMHO, is an ’09 MY (or nothing at all, but from the way things are sounding, that’s not probable). That’s just way too long. If I was seriously looking for a new car right now I wouldn’t be holding out for a hopefully new Camaro in 3 years, I’d go buy something else.

I know this sounds like a very pessimistic post, but I think people are getting tired of waiting. Hints and Faith don’t sell a product, a PRODUCT does. Enough with all the BS, just build the car.
I plan on picking up my next set of wheels in ‘08 when I finally finish all of my schooling. If there’s a Camaro out there buy then I’ll be taking a look at it, but if not, I have no problem picking up the Challenger instead.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 PM

Wink Re: Autoextremist: "Don't be surprised to see a Camaro concept this January".

You sure are a quick one, aren't you?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
Are you in accounting?
Nope, Contracting, LOL.

Quick Reply: Autoextremist: "Don't be surprised to see a Camaro concept this January".