Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Article: Chevrolet Camaro vs Holden Coupe 60 vs Holden Monaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 AM

Article: Chevrolet Camaro vs Holden Coupe 60 vs Holden Monaro

3 Kings - Chevrolet Camaro vs Holden Coupe 60 vs Holden Monaro

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Road_Tes...ullarticle=yes

Great article. If we can't have the Camaro, you'd think we'd at least have the Coupe 60 to make up for it... but sadly it ain't gonna happen.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Looks like the Coupe 60 would have made a good start for a GTO or G8 Coupe...
Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM

I think the Coupe 60 would have made a far better Camaro than what we got. A nice car, modern in every respect, I could see it legitimately being cross-shopped with the likes of BMWs. It would appeal to more than just the faithful, something GM needs if it hopes to stop its endless downward spiral.

If the Camaro had've looked like the Coupe 60 I would undoubtedly have one in my garage right now. But I'll never buy the retro Camaro that we got instead.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM

I woulda bought a Coupe 60 , its just perfection imo . It reminds me of larger e46 M3 .
Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby

3 Kings - Chevrolet Camaro vs Holden Coupe 60 vs Holden Monaro

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Road_Tes...ullarticle=yes

Great article. If we can't have the Camaro, you'd think we'd at least have the Coupe 60 to make up for it... but sadly it ain't gonna happen.
I'm confident that Oz will not come up on the short end of the stick when the state of the global economy supports the business case required.

Trust this, the lines of communication are more wide than was once the case between North America and the environment which made Holden a dandy outpost where what makes GM great could percolate on.

Much turns, IMO, not on the ability or desire of firebrands who know what fun folks can have in a car, but on being focused to become autonomous again.... paying the big bills, thus providing the finances and allowing greenlights for such offerings.

You will find no bigger champion for Australians getting the cars they want than I. Camaro has worked so well that cross ocean alliances can not be questioned as being relavent.

Here's to the hope that the economic decisions outside the control of car companies and mere mortals will allow another golden age for performance fans to continue.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 10-28-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Looks like the Coupe 60 would have made a good start for a GTO or G8 Coupe...
The coupe 60 WAS the GTO or G8 coupe.

Originally Posted by R377
I think the Coupe 60 would have made a far better Camaro than what we got. A nice car, modern in every respect, I could see it legitimately being cross-shopped with the likes of BMWs. It would appeal to more than just the faithful, something GM needs if it hopes to stop its endless downward spiral.

If the Camaro had've looked like the Coupe 60 I would undoubtedly have one in my garage right now. But I'll never buy the retro Camaro that we got instead.
I don't agree about the Coupe 60 being a better Camaro.

I think the coupe 60 would have made a great Pontiac counterpart to the Camaro, or even a Monte Carlo replacement (assuming it has the G8's interior space).

It's upscale. Assuming it's interior is G8 based, the interior would certainly be better. It would also likely cost more than Camaro does.

I agree that it would be a potential cross shop for those looking at an entry BMW 3 series coupe. I can even see it pulling some potential Camaro and Mustang buyers. But Camaro has a distinct position, and I feel the Coupe 60/G8 coupe/GTO would have a distinct position in the market as well.

Last edited by guionM; 10-28-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 PM

I concur 100%
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM

The Coupe 60 is a great car, but it would be a horrible Camaro simply because it looks nothing like a Camaro. If you had said "instead of" and not "should have been", I would have understood, maybe agreed.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM

yess 100% it looks like it has better rear view (i have been in the new camaro and i thought my ta had blind spotttttsss .... this thing is like driving around with no back window ....
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Just don’t understand why they just wont sell it over here has the Coupe 60... The Camaro is nice an all but, the s60 looks really sharp to the point i would get rid of my T/A for something like this because i am not going out to buy a new camaro anytime soon...

Still think GM missed the ball on the camaro still to expensive and not a user friendly daily driver (bad outside visablily there is more things i can list but not going to be long winded) yea yea I know they sell the v-6 for cheaper.... but what’s the point in buy a muscle car without a v-8.

If i wanted to buy a v-6 car then there are about 20 different types of cars i would consider before buying a v-6 camaro... this is what GM still does not understand... (I mean even at this point a G8 is ten times better value the the camaro in terms of user friendly) ok my pants are on fire got to stop in what I think of gm at this point
Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I woulda bought a Coupe 60 , its just perfection imo .
I definitely would buy a coupe60 if they brought it here.

If it had a lumina-type front end on it i'd be hoping a G8 front clip would bolt on, if not then i'd be doing a holden conversion. Feel the same way if they had turned the G8 into a chevy (though i don't need a sedan)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 PM

btw how are camaro sales these days becasue i still dont see allot of them floating around and the ones i do see are a v-6
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The coupe 60 WAS the GTO or G8 coupe.
Alright. The 60 looks much better than the GTO that was actually produced.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Coupe 60 would have made an awesome GTO
Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Coupe 60 would have made an awesome GTO
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Article: Chevrolet Camaro vs Holden Coupe 60 vs Holden Monaro