Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anyone remember when Porsche used to make sports cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 02:20 PM

Re: Anyone remember when Porsche used to make sports cars?

Actually it was ferrari that made sedans and suv's/ =P
Old 05-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
The big deal is they used to be a sports car brand, now they are making SUVs, Sedans (which I don't mind), and Station wagons. I sure as hell wouldn't want Ferrari building SUVs, Station Wagons, or even minivans. The Porsche brand has been deluted and is no were near as cool as it used to be. The SUV is just a rebaged VW It probably should have been badged an Audi.

Maybe HUMMER, GMC, and Jeep should start making sports cars and try to get some of Porsches market
Porsche took a look at what was going on and decided to give it a shot - why not have their name not only on the sports car in the garage, but the SUV too. How about the wagon? The SUV is wildly successful, so what the heck.

As for Porsche not being as cool as they used to be, I have to disagree with that one.

HUMMER/GMC or Jeep sports car.. it just doesn't work out that way. They're good at rugged tough vehicles, applying that to a car just doesn't translate. Applying the performance & handling to an SUV though and you have a different story. Look at the SRT8 Jeep, TrailBlazer SS, Infiniti FX, BMW X5 4.6, SVT Explorer, etc. This concept is growing and everyone wants a piece.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks, aeromaks, couldn't remember which one it was.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth 86 LSC
Thanks, aeromaks, couldn't remember which one it was.
You were right it was called the LM-002 and I believe that they maybe are coming out with a new one too,possibly Ferrari is also.

Last edited by 91Zman; 05-29-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 91Zman
You were right it was called the LM-002 and I believe that they maybe are coming out with a new one too,possibly Ferrari is also.
isn't the LM-002 a lambo?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

The big deal is they used to be a sports car brand, now they are making SUVs, Sedans (which I don't mind), and Station wagons. I sure as hell wouldn't want Ferrari building SUVs, Station Wagons, or even minivans. The Porsche brand has been deluted and is no were near as cool as it used to be. The SUV is just a rebaged VW It probably should have been badged an Audi.

Maybe HUMMER, GMC, and Jeep should start making sports cars and try to get some of Porsches market
you mean they're changing to meet the market? nawww...
Old 05-29-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
isn't the LM-002 a lambo?
Yes,I was referring to his earlier post about Lamborghini having a SUV in the 80's.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:39 PM

Anyone remember when Porsche used to make sports cars?
I never knew they stopped
Old 05-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Can't be all things to all people. The overlap in the industry is getting out of hand...to me changing to meet the market would mean making a Porsche(ie; Sports Car) that would compete value-wise for more of the market. Like the 944 etc(a working man's Porsche)...only better...NOT making "grocery getters" or SUV's.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
Can't be all things to all people. The overlap in the industry is getting out of hand...to me changing to meet the market would mean making a Porsche(ie; Sports Car) that would compete value-wise for more of the market. Like the 944 etc(a working man's Porsche)...only better...NOT making "grocery getters" or SUV's.
The market they're trying to compete in isn't exactly main stream. Those cars are god-awful expensive.

First and foremost, they're a for profit company. If they want to just stay in their little box and only do 1 type of car, that's fine. If they want to try to make more money and tap other markets, that's fine too. What's the big deal here, these are very expensive cars to begin with, there's no watering down of anything going on.

If anything Porsche is getting even sillier with sports cars:
Carrera GT a true super car, $440k. I don't think they've lost their way by any stretch.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:09 PM

"Who has the right to define a Porsche only as a rear-engine,air-cooled car? Just because the first two cars were this,can we not grow? Do we not evolve?
-Ernst Fuhrmann on the 928
That quote should be handed out with the press releases for every new Porsche that is not a 911......which by the way,Porsche still makes,as long as they still make the greatest sports car ever made,how are they diluted??
People ALWAYS whine when a new Porsche comes,even 356 lovers hated the 911 when it came out,it's amazing. It's also amazing that the majority of the whiners are people who will....never drive one,never own one,never even ride in one and they most likely don't even know ANYTHING about the history of Porsche or the man behind the name. There were Porsche tractors at one time,and you'd also find his name on several military patents for the **** army,most notably for a tank gun turrent. I don't think a mere station wagon will the dilute the brand no more than the Cayenne did. Aston Martin made a handfull of DB shooting brakes,didn't hurt the value of the regular DB4-6 now did it!
But i guess if all of you sports car purists want Porsche to just make the 911,well,they can just lose money,go bankrupt and then they can be bought by GM,then we'll see some diluting!! I bet those japanese saabs and trailblazer saabs are just flying out of the showrooms,you may say that Porsche does the same with VW,but again,they make a effort to be different from their VW siblings other than a woodgrain dash and saab vents,and sticking a ignition in the middle of a Bravada console
Porsche and VW have also been closely related from the start,as to be practically cousins. Prof. Porsche created the beetle and the first 356 basically had a ton of VW parts.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM

Interesting fact about the orginal VW Bug. Hitler commissioned Dr. Porche to design the Bug as the people's car. The idea was that every German family was to have one under Hitler's plan. Kind of ironic that Hilter's Bug became the vechile of choice for the hippies.

Getting back on topic, I think it is retarded that Porche made such a compromised vechile as the Cayanne. The thing weighs 5192 lbs with the twin turbo V8(4784lbs with the V6). All that weight and a higher center of gravity really throws the handling off balance. Not to mention the V6 version is ridiculusly slow.

If Porsche wanted to expand its market, I think they should have done a large sport sedan, something in a similar vain as the Maserati Quattroporte. Just imagine that awesome twin turbo V8 in a hunkered down sedan that weighs less than 4000lbs.

I'm going to play wait and see on the new wagon though. Hopefully it will be a radically styled car with some serious performence, not a compromised SUV.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by anasazi
They are getting into new markets and exploiting there brands past success. Sure that brand is making more money but it is at the expense of the brands image. Will they eventually have Porsche brand riding lawn mowers?

Remember how every one b!tched about how Chevy put the SS badge on everything even cars that didn't deserve it like the 3800 Monte. It's called brand whoring.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:30 AM

They are getting into new markets and exploiting there brands past success. Sure that brand is making more money but it is at the expense of the brands image. Will they eventually have Porsche brand riding lawn mowers?

Remember how every one b!tched about how Chevy put the SS badge on everything even cars that didn't deserve it like the 3800 Monte. It's called brand whoring.
how many people do you know that will be looking for a new 911 and say to themselves "Well, i guess i cant buy a Porsche now because they have a wagon and an SUV now"?

IMO Porsche makes one of, if not THE best, sports car in its price range. for some reason the last C5 Z06 i sat behind the wheels of i couldnt fit in ( ) but i fit perfect in the 911 i got behind the wheel of a couple years ago. theres really nothing you can cross shop against a 911 so i dont see Porsche losing out here.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 87camracer
how many people do you know that will be looking for a new 911 and say to themselves "Well, i guess i cant buy a Porsche now because they have a wagon and an SUV now"?

IMO Porsche makes one of, if not THE best, sports car in its price range. for some reason the last C5 Z06 i sat behind the wheels of i couldnt fit in ( ) but i fit perfect in the 911 i got behind the wheel of a couple years ago. theres really nothing you can cross shop against a 911 so i dont see Porsche losing out here.
I'll still buy a Camaro SS even if Chevrolet makes a Aveo SS. I never said the 911 would be a worse car because the are rebadging a WV SUV. Go to google.com and type in brand whoring

Quick Reply: Anyone remember when Porsche used to make sports cars?