Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anyone catch Mark Reuss on Autoline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
GM isn't exactly swimming in cash these days either. I'd rather GM spend more money on making the C7 the best Corvette ever, rather than on making it into a mid engine car.
Don't I know it about the tightness of cash.

Hate to see previously done work go to waste, though.

Personally I'll pass on the "Batmobile" look. I was never a fan of George Barris. Some of the Stingray concept says "George Barris" to me.

There are things I like about Stingray concept; such as the tidier front overhang.

The split window was hated in the '63 in '63. Some folks cut the thing out and put the '64 rear glass in.

The front and rear treatment look, to me, like an old full sized Pontiac with a '63 'vette rear clip stuffed into the trunk, and a C6 front clip shoved into the grille... For me, the reach is too far in some areas that really are not a problem in the first place.

The accentuation of the fender bulges which take their cue fron the '63-'67 are good. It's a nearly universal accepted design element for a 'vette.

It's the sports car trapped in a sedan look that doesn't square for me. I prefer no egg crate oy any kind of "fence" look in a grill opening on a 2 seater. A recessed blackout screen would make for a much more menacing face.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 10-31-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
- Cars will be getting lighter. New design approaches will trim hundreds of pounds without much/any added cost.

- Smallblock will be around as long as there is demand for it.
Looks like you might get your wish without having the cars getting smaller in size. Reuss suggested that it's not that difficult to get 125 lbs out of a current (mid-large?) car, without incurring a cost penalty. Actually, the savings could be as much as 250 lbs with some careful manufacturing principles.

It's certainly refreshing to get qualified engineers like Reuss talk 'openly' and pragmatically about future design directions at GM.

Oh, and God bless the GM smallblock.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Looks like you might get your wish without having the cars getting smaller in size. Reuss suggested that it's not that difficult to get 125 lbs out of a current (mid-large?) car, without incurring a cost penalty. Actually, the savings could be as much as 250 lbs with some careful manufacturing principles.
The hint of more volume use of carbon fiber and the joint structure conversations were interesting . He stated carbon fiber as being only viable on a low volume car like the vette , followed by .."until now" Then the topic was changed .
Old 10-31-2009, 10:11 AM

It's certainly refreshing to get qualified engineers like Reuss talk 'openly' and pragmatically about future design directions at GM.

Oh, and God bless the GM smallblock.
That isn't what all the doomsdayers said when the new CAFE standards were introduced
Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 AM

Looks like you might get your wish without having the cars getting smaller in size.

Actually, I DO want cars like the Camaro to get smaller in size....
Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 AM

I would not assume this is the Holden green..in the past a lot of Holden colors have been unique to them even though gm na had similar colors. GM seems intent that not one thing from holden make it on the camaro.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM

>Sounds< like their wanting to be a bit more daring with color . It was nice to hear GM's color guy wants to be anyways . It was cool to hear him actually state the color pallette has been a bit bland across the board with NA cars .
Old 10-31-2009, 02:55 PM

I have seen a small panel with the new green displayed.

With white Z/28 srtipes it should prove stunning!

"Loud colors do go well with "loud" cars.

Green is a love it or hate it color. I think green fans will take to the shade.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
I agree and disagree. I think moving the engine back is a mistake at this point, regardless as to whether or not the corvette community will accept it.

Corvette can keep going after the Touring front engine rear drive Ferraris, Jaguars, Maseratis, and Aston Martins.

I would prefer to see GM make another vehicle that was mid/rear to go after the 'hypercar' crowd - and Cadillac needs something better than an XLR as their Halo car.
You seem to be implying that if the Corvette is front-engine that it can only go after "touring" cars like the Maseratis and Jaguars, and that a mid-engine car would be needed to go after "hypercars".

If that is was you are implying, then that simply is not true. The Corvette ZR1 and Viper GTS-R prove this.

On another note, I like the Transformer's concept car. If GM bases the C7 on that car, it I would probably like the styling. Although, the style seems to be very polarizing.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM

The 599 GTB has its engine in the front too .
Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
"Loud colors do go well with "loud" cars.

Green is a love it or hate it color. I think green fans will take to the shade.
I agree. The color of a car is an individual thing but it can change people's perceptions of a car or car company... I really do believe that certain non-traditional colors can make people believe that certain cars are 'cool'. The more they see of these colors, the more accepting they become.

The VE actually looks good in Atomic Green but it's not a color I would personally lust after as I'm not very 'green' when it comes to colors. And because it may look good on (say) a VE Ute, it might not translate very well onto another car especially one from the same stable. It's just the way some colors work.

The bottom line is GM do need an injection of new colors (to complement the traditional colors) to make people notice their vehicles.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 PM

I saw a camaro in that atomic green last year and wondered if they'd actually bring it out. I have to say that it looked very "interesting".
Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 AM

The Malibu is at least 125 pounds heavier than the equivalent Camry and Accord. I would not count on every car getting lighter by the same amount.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 AM

...and power too, right? The next Camaro need not be designed for 550hp. A car designed for 400hp has got to be a little smaller (don't need as big a radiator, if nothing else) and noticeably lighter than one designed for 600.

I appreciate the technical achievement of a car with over 500hp being available to mere mortals, but I don't think I would use it more than a couple of times. And if it makes the V6 heavier, that's not good.

Now I don't have a problem with a 550hp Camaro, as long as it doesn't result in significant compromises to a 300hp model.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Banned

So do I. I was driving my Z-28 next to a 5th gen Camaro a couple weeks ago and I felt like I was in an Opel GT or something. The 2010 Camaro is so big compared to the 4th generation.

Quick Reply: Anyone catch Mark Reuss on Autoline?