Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Any idea when the Challenger refresh is coming?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Any idea when the Challenger refresh is coming?

And what it will include?

I'm considering one of these as my new to me car, with the right package, it's really attractive, there aren't a lot of them on the road, and it's more practical than a Camaro.

But I don't want a newer more attractive one to come out while I'm still paying for this one. I don't expect much to change because it's a really retro vehicle, but I always hated the tail light, and if the refresh is gonna get an LED on like the Charger that would affect my decision.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Re: Any idea when the Challenger refresh is coming?

From everything I've read 2014 is the last year and it's done for good, no refresh. The Challenger forum and several mags have all said it's going bye bye due to it's size and fuel economy. They are talking a replacement but calling it the Chrysler Cuda with a v6 and possibly turbo v6 and much smaller. They may not be able to use the Cuda name and have to call it the Barracuda as the Cuda name was lost to them. The Challenger is really bigger than the Mustang and Camaro and should have been a 2 door Charger. That said I hoping to pick up a 6 speed RT before they are all gone. Maybe 2014 depending on my funds. Love the comfort, a real trunk and the retro look.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM

That explains why they're holding their value so well.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

CAFE killed it.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM

I would suggest to keep checking Allpar.com.
They have a pretty good finger on the pulse of future Chrysler stuff.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Judging by the number of special editions dodge has already made of the challenger. I'd wait till 2014, if it's really true there will be no refresh. I bet Dodge will make quite a swan song of a challenger.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
CAFE killed it.
If Dodge put the 8 speed from the Charger/300, it should be rated at the same 31mpg hwy. That would keep the fuel economy in line with the Camaro and the Mustang. CAFE has not killed either of these vehicles.

And, according to Jason E, the 8 speed has increased acceleration of the Charger/300. Better fuel economy and better acceleration are never a bad thing in my book.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM

While I'm not a fan of them I will hate to see them go...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
If Dodge put the 8 speed from the Charger/300, it should be rated at the same 31mpg hwy. That would keep the fuel economy in line with the Camaro and the Mustang. CAFE has not killed either of these vehicles.

And, according to Jason E, the 8 speed has increased acceleration of the Charger/300. Better fuel economy and better acceleration are never a bad thing in my book.
Tell that to the people at Chysler because they are the ones who said they are killing it due to stricker fuel econony standards.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM

CAFE killed it.
Tell that to the people at Chysler because they are the ones who said they are killing it due to stricker fuel econony standards.
When are people going to stop saying nonsense like this. CAFE isn't killing the car Chrysler/Fiat is. The car is retro, the styling is a dead end street. The next Challenger is going to be smaller/lighter so they are going with a new name.
Chrysler Looks to the 'Cuda to replace the Dodge Challenger - Motor Trend

If they used the 8speed auto they would get 31mpg and 31mpg would make it the most fuel efficient car at Dodge with the exception of the new Dodge Dart. The V8 Challengers don't sell in a large enough quantity to really have any impact on Chrysler's CAFE rating.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 AM

that is sad... it was kind of fun seeing brand new Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers running around...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
When are people going to stop saying nonsense like this. CAFE isn't killing the car Chrysler/Fiat is. The car is retro, the styling is a dead end street. The next Challenger is going to be smaller/lighter so they are going with a new name.
Chrysler Looks to the 'Cuda to replace the Dodge Challenger - Motor Trend

If they used the 8speed auto they would get 31mpg and 31mpg would make it the most fuel efficient car at Dodge with the exception of the new Dodge Dart. The V8 Challengers don't sell in a large enough quantity to really have any impact on Chrysler's CAFE rating.
Do you work for Chrysler? i doubt it I will listen to the guy in the article I read who does work for Chyrsler. he said they wete killing the car because of fuel mileage concerns and meeting future CAFE standards. I am only repeating what was said by a Chrysler manager.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Do you work for Chrysler? i doubt it I will listen to the guy in the article I read who does work for Chyrsler. he said they wete killing the car because of fuel mileage concerns and meeting future CAFE standards. I am only repeating what was said by a Chrysler manager.
but think about it logically, that statement would mean the all the other cars on the LX-chassis would have to go too. If they were to kill the Challenger because of CAFE concerns, they would also have to kill the charger and the 300c. They all get roughly the same gas mileage when paired with the same packages/engines.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
but think about it logically, that statement would mean the all the other cars on the LX-chassis would have to go too. If they were to kill the Challenger because of CAFE concerns, they would also have to kill the charger and the 300c. They all get roughly the same gas mileage when paired with the same packages/engines.
Not really. Maybe the 30 to 40k Challengers they sell a year is enough to get their averages back up to where they need to be. I am sure Chyrsler management knows the numbers better than we do. Also bringing the Viper back isnt going to help their averages, even though its sold in small numbers.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
And what it will include?

I'm considering one of these as my new to me car, with the right package, it's really attractive, there aren't a lot of them on the road, and it's more practical than a Camaro.

But I don't want a newer more attractive one to come out while I'm still paying for this one. I don't expect much to change because it's a really retro vehicle, but I always hated the tail light, and if the refresh is gonna get an LED on like the Charger that would affect my decision.
Well good doctor, if you are interested in getting a brand new Challenger off the showroom floor, then you may want to get you pennies together because barring an extention, you'll have about a year and a half to do so.

Although some may want you believe it's CAFE or some Federal mandate, it isn't.

Many of you have figured that out already.

God Bless you!

The fact is simply that the Challenger is finishing up it's run (like the Prowler, PT Cruzer, and what was originally intended as a 3-4 year run of the original Viper). Nothing devious, nothing dramatic. Simply the Challenger's run is about over. Nothing more and nothing less.

At the end of the 2014 model year, the Challenger will already be FIVE model years old.

Although Dodge Challenger is profitable for Chrysler, a replacement would need to remain relevent in the marketplace for another 5 years to make up it's investment. The Dodge Challenger is currently selling at about 2000 units per month. Seeing what a bad rap the 4th gen Camaro got in fuel economy (though that reputation was false) due to it's size, Chrysler (rightfully) doubts that the Challenger, as-is, is going to be a safe bet to be successful up till 2020 (LX sedans sell in much greater numbers, and is worth the added investment... even if it's production numbers drop, it's still well into profitable territory), especially given the volitility of gas prices the past decade. We're extremely lucky the Challenger (and Camaro) even saw the light of day in the first place.

Like GM (and Ford) Chrysler realizes that future "pony cars" will have to appeal to a younger market to hang on to sales (current pony cars are being bought by younger people well into a career and empty nesters) and be more fuel efficient than today. This means a car that's a bit smaller than today and volume models will be V6s and possibly turbo 4s. (a direction both GM and Ford are taking with next gen models). V8s will continue, but they'll cost you (you're already paying about 10 grand for them today).

Chrysler themselves are reading the tea leaves. Yes, there is the notion to some that the feds are somehow forcing this. But the buying public's priorities have changed with the prospect of $4 and potentially $5 per gallon gasoline. Even without CAFE mandates last year car companies averaged about 34 mpg, and it's expected to be significantly higher this year. That's the marketplace, not any government mandates.

The Challenger is pretty much right on the Camaro SS and Mustang GT's EPA numbers, and the 30K or so Challengers sold each year simply don't affect Chrysler's CAFE numbers (let alone the sprinkling of SRT models). Camaro and Mustang will be back for an encore. The volume they are doing (between 2 and 3 times that of Challenger) pretty much assures that there's enough volume for a big investment to pay off.

Note that Chevrolet is displaying a car this auto show season that is exactly what Chrysler is considering to replace the Challenger.

You're probably asking: "Why not call this downsized car a Challenger?"

But you already know the answer.

Like the PT Cruzer and the Prowler, where do you do next designwise??? There was only 1 Challenger design from the 70s. The current version is a updated design of that car. You can't go designwise anywhere from there without looking like a car that's been out too long.

The new coupe will look different, and have a new name.

It won't be 'Cuda though.

Last edited by guionM; 03-13-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Any idea when the Challenger refresh is coming?