Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Any body else pick up on this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 01:38 PM

Question Any body else pick up on this?

i was bored the other night so i read through the MM&FF articles were they tested the new Cobra. at the end they talked very briefly about the cammaros demise and then said something about a new 350 hp Z28 that will be released in 04 or 05. this is the first i have heard about this. no body has even mentioned anything about this. while it is a ford magazine they may have good sources here. who knows?
Old 07-06-2002, 02:31 PM

I read that too. Very unlikely they know anything that our sources here don't know.

What I did find great was the Cobra versus SS test. Although the Cobra had 60 more rwhp, the SS held its own on the roadcourse, losing to the Cobra by only .3, and wasn't really that much slower in the 1/4 mile. I think the cobra ran 12.7 @ 107.x and the SS ran 12.9@106.x. But, there were massive headwinds that slowed both cars down from what MM&FF had run them before. Plus there's no question a quick pulley change to the cobra and it would trounce the SS for less than the price of a Direct-Flo lid....

The Cobra was also 200 lbs heavier than the SS!!! I knew the Cobra was heavy with the iron block, but 200 lbs heavier than a 3600 lb car that is like 2 feet longer??? WOW.

All in all it was a great article, both cars dynoed within like 8 rwhp of their advertised net crank HP numbers.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6
Old 07-07-2002, 09:59 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6:
...both cars dynoed within like 8 rwhp of their advertised net crank HP numbers...</font>
Am I misreading something here? What the HELL was wrong with the SS that it was only making ADVERTISED horsepower?

Or are you saying that they were both putting down to the wheels what they advertised at the crank?

------------------
99 SS 'vert #3143 (Bought used Sept 8th, 2001)
Arctic White w/black top
10-point roll cage
Simpson 5-point harnesses
!back seat (damn cage)
!CAGS, only "performance" mod I know of.
Why the rollcage? Damned if I know; I bought it that way, and since I've run a 13.637 1/4, I'm keeping it! Besides, it looks cool.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:00 AM

I thought the SS ran low 13's in that test? In any case, I was disapointed that the SS they had to run was the 35th SS w/ the expensive stripe package, and didn't feature the power package option from SLP. Not that I'm saying it would have won, but It would have been nice if they tested a car whose option money was spent on essentially a lid and catback, instead of stripes and 2 tone seats. It would have been a more favorable price comparison at any rate, but whatever.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:22 PM

I'm saying both cars put down to the wheels 8hp less than their advertised Crank HP numbers.

It would have been nice if the SS were fully loaded with the SLP options. I think the Bilstien package would have put it ahead of the Cobra on the road course, and the dual/dual exhuast and SLP lid would have probably kicked the HP number up another 10 or so.

The Cobra dynoed 381 at the wheels, and like 394 when they took the air filter assembly off. The SS dynoed 316 and then 326 I think when they took the stock lid off.

They say the Cobra's intake and exhaust are extremely restrictive for EPA noise reasons. If freeing up the intake is worth 13hp (lets say 10 because the 13 came from not running one at all). There's probably at least 20 hp to be gained from exhaust improvements. So right there with the two most basic bolt ons, an air intake and an exhaust system, you can be pushing 410rwhp.

A quick pulley change and 450rw is probably well within reach.

Wonder what the insurance rates are on a Cobra?

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6