Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Another Falcon import story

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 05:13 PM

Another Falcon import story

My information says it isn't going to happen unless the factory is expanded much the same way Holden's was, but it's an interesting read nonetheless:

Ford Studying Aussie Import

Detroit automakers seem to have a thing for Australia. And with the Holden-based Pontiac GTO soon to hit U.S. shores, Ford insiders tell TheCarConnection they’re actively considering import options for the Australian-made Ford Falcon. Like the Holden Monaro/GTO, it’s a rear-drive muscle car, a breed that has not only survived but thrived down under despite near European-level fuel prices. It could provide a companion to the long-lived Mustang, and as with the GTO, might also revive a legendary nameplate that, in this case, hasn’t graced a U.S. Ford product in decades. The current version of the Falcon is equipped with either an in-line six or Ford’s high-output V-8, also used in its big F-150 pickup. Ford’s North American product development boss Phil Martens tells TCC such a project is “a twinkle in everyone’s eye (but) not in the cycle plans at this time.” But you can bet Ford is watching closely to see what happens with the revival of the GTO. —Paul A. Eisenstein
The revamped Falcon chassis has a relocated fuel tank, and could probally pass crash tests (I'm not as well versed on Falcons as I am on Commodores), but it issue is pumping money into Ford's Australian division to expand production at a time Ford of North America is finally turning profits again.

Jac Nasser was pretty hot on producing a version (Fairlane) here (he used to run Ford of Australia... and did it successfully! ) but I honestly don't see it happening for quite awhile if at all, and neither do a few people inside Ford.

Then again, the same thing happened at GM over Holden, so who knows.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:23 PM

the thing that is becoming more and more apparent as the tuners get their hands on the falcon, the real "GEM" in the new falcon line-up is the XR6 Turbo 4.0L DOHC, it produces big Torque from low in the revs and keeps it going all the way to redline... a few tuners have marginally increased the boost with a modified chip and a few other "low cost tweaks".... to the effect of 400hp when fully worked(boost wound up), quite frankly the boss 290(390HP) V8 doesn't stand a chance !!!

this ones for you proud
here is a video of a stock one.... click here (warning the video is quite loud) WMV9>>>1.6mb

Last edited by Ude-lose; 05-14-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:59 AM

Since that engine isn't available here in any form, I'm guessing Ford would take the easy way out and sticking with an engine that's produced here if it were to be imported here (easier & cheaper to pass US emissions).
Old 05-21-2003, 02:15 PM

Seems GTO is more of a spear head than we think:

Australian rear-drive Fords "actively" being considered for North America
14 May 2003 justauto.com

As the Holden-built Pontiac GTO edges closer to US dealers, Ford insiders have told The Car Connection (TCC) website they are actively considering import options for the Australian-made Ford Falcon.

But, for the official line, Ford North American product development boss Phil Martens told TCC such a project is "a twinkle in everyone's eye (but) not in the cycle plans at this time."

However, the website said Ford is sure to closely watch the results of the GTO revival before making any decisions on the rear-drive range that is powered by a home-grown straight six or a North American-made V8.

In recent months, a number of media have suggested that, rather than spin new cars off the Mazda6 platform, as Ford is doing for the Futura, it should utlise the rear-drive Falcon platform. The long-wheelbase version, used in Australia for wagons and luxury Fairlane versions, would be the ideal base for a successor to the current US Crown Victoria beloved of police departments and Florida retirees.

As far as just-auto is aware, Ford Australia has never built a left-hand drive Falcon, unlike arch-rival GM Holden, which shipped cars to Hawaii in the 1960s and first sent the Commodore, re-badged as a Chevrolet Lumina, to replace a North American line in the Middle East a few years back.

But Henry’s Ocker outpost, unlike Holden, has previously built cars for the States – in the form of the Mazda 323-based Mercury Capri convertible, launched in 1989.
The fact that GM-Holden already make LHD cars meant we didn't have to wait for the next version of the Holden to get one. Ford doesn't have that option.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:51 PM

Sounds promising, especially since a competitor to the GTO is a really good thing. The rumor that Ford is weighing bringing overe the Falcon should be given some credibility. I saw a red one about 2 weeks ago, driving around Novi (upscale SE Michigan suburb). The very next day I saw another car that I could not identify at all, other than it had a manufacturers plate and no cammo.

I did get a pretty good look at the falcon as it drove by, it had a "Falcon" badge on the back. The other car could have been anything, (Fiat and Nissan have research buildings about 2 miles from where I saw this car, but it was blue and I thought the tail lamps looked like the falcon.

Ain't living near the auto capital of the world great
Old 05-21-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Ude-lose
the thing that is becoming more and more apparent as the tuners get their hands on the falcon, the real "GEM" in the new falcon line-up is the XR6 Turbo 4.0L DOHC, it produces big Torque from low in the revs and keeps it going all the way to redline... a few tuners have marginally increased the boost with a modified chip and a few other "low cost tweaks".... to the effect of 400hp when fully worked(boost wound up), quite frankly the boss 290(390HP) V8 doesn't stand a chance !!!

this ones for you proud
here is a video of a stock one.... click here (warning the video is quite loud) WMV9>>>1.6mb
Man, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am actually jealous of the technology and level at which Oz is producing cars - all of them. Holden and Ford are both putting out products down there that we would be totally impressed with up here.
Maybe it's a GOOD thing to be so far removed from all the bureaucratic red tape and B/S that holds us back up here.

I'd be VERY interested in a Falcon as a daily driver... VERY. Given the correct price and maintenance costs, and I'd be interested in aquiring a new GTHO for collectable purposes if it comes available to boot. Talk about a performance heritage...

I also would begin demanding at this point that Ford call the darn thing a FALCON!!! That's what it is, and that's what it should be even if it comes over here!
The '60's model falcons we shared were just alike, but we stopped making them here stateside in the mid '60's (the Mustang killed it's sales using mostly Falcon parts too!) whereas the Aussies kept it alive and kicking. KUDOS to them for doing so!

You guys keep rockin' down there. Maybe we are finally waking up to see that great RWD V8 cars can be done right and there is a market for them after all.

PS - Ude, I couldn't get the video to come thru, but i got the sound. I heard some wild rpm's for a bit there! I'll try again at home later!