Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Alpha platform rumblings

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Alpha platform rumblings

full article

Here's some noise about GM's much rumored Alpha small RWD platform taking shape. Who knows how accurate any of it is....... 2010-11 timeframe puts smack in the middle of the launch of the VE/Zeta cars for North America. That's an awful lot going on all at once.

However, GM still has significant plans for several of its existing front-wheel-drive midsize sedans. The old W-body platform (also known internally as MS2000) is being phased out after 2010. A successor to the W-body Buick LaCrosse, rebadged as the Regal, will shift to the Epsilon 2 platform in early 2009, followed by a redesigned Aura in late 2009. The new Epsilon-based Regal, according to IL sources, will be built and sold in both North America and China, with virtually identical sheet metal.
Hard to believe that the W-body is finally going to be laid to rest..... why does the Lacrosse/Allure name exist? If they're going to flip the name again back to Regal, they should have just kept that name in the first place.

Assuming GM can juggle all of this product - post 2009 will be an interesting time for GM fans to be alive.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Also some more info here... and Holden will once again have major input.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25730F002176DB
Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
full article

Here's some noise about GM's much rumored Alpha small RWD platform taking shape. Who knows how accurate any of it is....... 2010-11 timeframe puts smack in the middle of the launch of the VE/Zeta cars for North America. That's an awful lot going on all at once.

Hard to believe that the W-body is finally going to be laid to rest..... why does the Lacrosse/Allure name exist? If they're going to flip the name again back to Regal, they should have just kept that name in the first place.

Assuming GM can juggle all of this product - post 2009 will be an interesting time for GM fans to be alive.
Read the article. Pretty much all true.

The "Alpha" will be a comparatively low priced chassis and very quick to be developed since the most expensive parts of the chassis are already on the road (suspensions, braking, and drivetrain components) in the form of Skys and Solstices.

Yes, GM will reach critical mass in the 2009-2011 timeframe. We're going to need a scorecard and a stock ticker converted to display new models just to keep up.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Timing is too soon on that, and Holden won't be taking a lead role in Alpha as they did in Zeta.

Lots of speculation in that story.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Just finished reading the GoAuto story. Just on the little I know, I'll also say that the story's hint that Holden will have a lead role is a little exaggerated. Not much, but still a bit.

Holden has FAR less to do with "Alpha's" development than they did with Zeta. Holden may end up working with GMNA on the architecture, but while say, a Camaro, Impala, or the next DTS Zeta is basically a reskinned Holden, the Alpha's important parts are more North American, therefore playing a lead role.

I can see North America, Australia, as well as Europe working on this one. I'd imagine we have the suspension and key components as a modified Kappa, while using Opel's experience in creating cars of that size and Holden's experience in creating RWD bodies. I can also easily see all versions of it being made here an a flex factory.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Which would perhaps be a good platform for a certain Pontiac that shall remain nameless to be reborn on.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
Well, at this rate, Lacrosse sales will be basically zero by 2010, so at least they saved the reputation of "Regal".

But, I agree that GM has to stop renaming their cars every few years. It's too confusing for the customer.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Well, at this rate, Lacrosse sales will be basically zero by 2010, so at least they saved the reputation of "Regal".

But, I agree that GM has to stop renaming their cars every few years. It's too confusing for the customer.
It's too bad, really. I've driven an Allure (Lacrosse) as well as all the other Ws. With the 3.6 in CXS trim, it's a very nice and quick car. I really liked the interior. The car is quiet and it really struck me as such, probably because I'm used to Pontiacs, I guess.

I briefly flirted with the notion of getting an Allure but in the end couldn't come to grips with thinking I was "old" enough for it. So I got a GP instead.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
First they need to stop being embarassed enough about the outgoing model that they feel the need to disassociate themselves from it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by R377
First they need to stop being embarassed enough about the outgoing model that they feel the need to disassociate themselves from it.

All of this renaming has came about since Lutz came on board. It is all an unnecessary distraction and a big waste of the advertising budget.