Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

All future GM vehicles will have iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

All future GM vehicles will have iPod integration

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/03ipod.html

GM is doing all 56 models in its lineup. Ford and Mazda too.

The auxilliary input jack on some of the newer cars (Cobalt, HHR, etc) is nice, but we're talking about full integration. The iPod plugs into a connector in the glovebox, and the car's stereo provides an interface to navigate the iPod. The car charges your iPod while it's connected, too.

I'm assuming it's going to be an option. I'll definitely be ordering this option with my 5th Gen.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Re: All future GM vehicles will have iPod integration

GM should not limit itself to 1 particular manufacturer. Sure Apple has 50% marketshare right now but a big threat is looming for them. Microsoft's Zune comes out in Nov and will have a LOT more stuff than the current Video Ipod, 5th gen by coincidence. One thing that GM may look into instead of wired connections for specific devices would be Bluetooth or other wireless mini-networks. Though I do remember reading that Holden tapped Apple for helping with design of some of its controls.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 AM

I think it sucks to see so many manufacturers going to ipod specific integration. Granted other MP3 players can at least output to the stereo, still.

I guess the one benefit I can see is if Apple doesn't have ipod's integration standards patented - then the other 'lesser' MP3 players on the market could copy this integration standard and suddenly it's not just "ipod" integration but it's "MP3 player integration"... and Apple led the way for a standardized connection format.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Last I checked, Apple had over 80% of the MP3 player market. Just to clarify.

EDIT: 75% of the US market, 87% of the hard-disk-based worldwide market.

Note that "market share" is the percentage of units sold during a given period, and tell you nothing about how many devices have been sold prior to that period. These figures were given in Apple's Q3 2006 fiscal report, and cover April 1 through June 30, 2006.

I have seen past iPod market share reports in excess of 90%. I beleive that was also a hard-disk-based figure.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 08-03-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 AM

Good move. I hate how behind car companies are compared to aftermarket stereos. MP3 should be on every deck. I wish they could read MP3 DVD's. It would be sweet to have 4.7 or 8.5GB of MP3's on one disk.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Last I checked, Apple had over 80% of the MP3 player market. Just to clarify.
Do you see that as a good thing? Especially with what's happening to creative labs?

A lot of people here like GM as a company and want them to do well, but only the truely crazy ones would want to see GM become the ONLY or practically the only viable car manufacturer in the world... because competition is what keeps our market going.

History has rarely if ever seen an oligopoly, much less a monopoly, that actually benefited the end user.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:09 AM

If your going to intergrate your product to accept someone else's stuff.. do you trust Apple or Microsnot, or someone lesser .... ?

I think Apple is a safe bet on this one.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Threxx
Do you see that as a good thing? Especially with what's happening to creative labs?
In general, no, but Apple seems to be doing things the right way. They've lowered prices on several models, and they continue to innovate.

Apple has spent far too long playing the underdog for me to have any fear of them abusing monopoly power.

Most of the abusive monopolies I've seen have become that way due to less-than-moral business tactics. iPod is #1 because it works, it's priced reasonably, and it has an attractive design. Apple hasn't been buying out competitors with superior products, and haven't been raising prices in response to demand.

Not to say that there haven't been problems. The whole battery issue a while back, the scratched screens (especially nanos), blah blah blah. Those were engineering mistakes, and it'd be silly not to expect Apple to cover its collective *** when that happens. They did find a resolution in the end, after all, and it doesn't seem like people are still having any of those problems with the latest models.

Most of you know I'm a Mac user, and a huge Apple fan, but I don't let that blind me to the possibilities. I would love to have two or more companies competing with equal products, but it's just not happening. No other company has introduced a product that can touch the iPod for usability.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 AM

Apple has also made their way with good product!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
iPod is #1 because it works, it's priced reasonably, and it has an attractive design.
Your missing a VERY big part of the equation: Marketing. Apple has done a great job marketing its iPods to the masses by pitching it as THE MP3 player, how many Creative Labs MP3 player commercials have you seen on tv? They also did what GM did with its Escalade, appealed to celebrities and socialites to raise brand awareness and increase consumer acceptance. Not only that but they have relased successive new models in a rather quick fashion. When the new models come out they are fairly large jumps ahead of the previous model and since the new one is the next 'trend' it becomes all the rage. This kind of product improvement based self marketing can drive market up dramatically. To be sure the Ipods are easy to use and nice little products but compare an Ipod nano to a SanDisk Sansa E250 and I see lots of stuff on the Sansa that the ipod just doesn't offer: Micro SD slot, FM tuner, video playing capability, viewable eq. Could Apple have offered this on the Ipod, sure but why when you are controlling the market and you can just put those features on your next model when you replace the current one.

Apple hasn't been buying out competitors with superior products, and haven't been raising prices in response to demand.
Neither has MS in response to Windows but that doesn't mean it is best to have 1 game in town.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Your missing a VERY big part of the equation: Marketing. Apple has done a great job marketing its iPods to the masses by pitching it as THE MP3 player, how many Creative Labs MP3 player commercials have you seen on tv?
Yup... know how I know Apple has run a brilliant marketing campaign? Because half of the middle/upper to upper class families I know have an ipod for every member of the family - yet they just sit there and collect dust. It has literally become the 'in style' or 'trendy' thing to own - so much so that people buy them just because everyone else is - and then end up not using them.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yup... know how I know Apple has run a brilliant marketing campaign? Because half of the middle/upper to upper class families I know have an ipod for every member of the family - yet they just sit there and collect dust. It has literally become the 'in style' or 'trendy' thing to own - so much so that people buy them just because everyone else is - and then end up not using them.
I can vouch for that, I work at BB now and sell MP3 players and Cell phones and lots of people don't know anything about it and they don't want to hear about the other options they just one an Ipod, like so and so has. And the strange thing to me is most of the people we sell them to are 50+ and aren't what I would call the 'gadget crowd'. Actually based on the marketing data that our store has as its target market they are 50+ married and making in excess of $100K per year.

BTW single handedly the Ipod Nano 2 gig in white outsells the rest of the MP3 players, combined!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 AM

It's about time GM added ipod integration since ipod dominates the market.

I wouldnt worry about other mp3 players losing out since technology will solve the problem over the next year or so as wi/fi (and bluetooth) capabilites are built into future players like the up coming Microsoft Zune ipod-like player this fall.

Eventually both car head units and well a mp3 players will go wireless and this will eliminate the need for a hardwired connection built into the car.

In fact over the next few years I would expect that future car radio head units (with built-in ipod or zune functionality) will be able to automatically sync wirelessly from your homes PC/Mac mp3 playlist when you drive in to the garage or driveway and therefore eliminating the need for a mobile mp3 player all together.

Last edited by johnsocal; 08-03-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Pic of said system.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:22 AM

Me no likey Ipod.

I do however like this. http://cache.vzw.com/chocolate/index.html

Life is such a contradiction.

Quick Reply: All future GM vehicles will have iPod integration