Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

5th gen check list

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 PM

5th gen check list

ok, so what will make the 5th gen?
lets re-evaluate when we could get a Camaro

a frame-probably=no zeta? so it what current platforms could it run on and how long to get the plants set up?
a v8-its what we want=an ls2 would get the job done, but other options are there?
a v6-base car, its what propels the mustang sells, and the Camaro would need a good one, probably perky at the most, but thats all thats needed= probably not a turbo/super charged engine. but what options does GM have in the works, or already out that could move a Camaro and be reliable? this will be the engine platform that the car would be marketted under.
probably something along the lines of "have you pick between an engine that gets 30mpg and one with 400hp"

feel free to add to the list, but these aren't demands, this is just common sense stuff the car needs to survive.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 PM

Re: 5th gen check list

LS2 RWD 2+2, That's all I need. All I care about
Old 03-22-2005, 07:37 AM

1. Make it look good.
2. Make it affordable
3. Have a stronger V6 than the Ford's and also have it peform more
efficiently, with the V6 offer a stick option as well.

4. The car has to be comfortable for the masses to drive in.
5. Needs more backseat room than the Mustang.
6. Needs an LS2 With a good 6spd option and good automatic option.
7. T-Top option possibly?
8. Maybe for an RS model have a HO Output V6 option? Or maybe have with a
turbo to entice people to buy it?
9. A trunk. I know a lot of people who wouldnt buy the car because it had a
hatch instead.
10. Dont force DoD on us. Some people dont like the idea of cylinders shutting off and why it may work fine when brand new, I have serious reservations about this option working well on a car after you put 200K on it.
11. Let us choose our options on our cars and dont force us to accept something we dont want or need by forcing "Package options" on the buyer.

Thats all I can think of.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Banned

why do we need a new camaro when you can get a new mustang?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by anasazi
why do we need a new camaro when you can get a new mustang?
Not everyone likes the Mustang. That and I've been a Camaro fan since I was a little child and my past experiences with Ford will not have me buying a Ford anytime soon.

Plus not everyone is in love with the new Mustang. I for one do not care for its styling as the entire car IMHO looks very unappealing to me. I have no desire to own one. I'd rather save my money and buy a GTO and go into different market of car before buying the Mustang.

Plus compeition is good. As long as their is no other car in this market to directly compete against the Mustang, what Incentive does Ford have to ever make this car better year after year and put improvments on it.

A good competitive pony car from GM will be good for the consumer. It doesnt matter if its a Camaro, Firebird, or something else but there needs to be a "Rival" car to go against the mustang. I think it would be awesome as well if Dodge threw something out their into the Ponycar market as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 AM

I think the new 5.3L coming in the monte carlo/impala would be a great fit...

Before I get flamed on for that here is my reasoning.

1. I would say it would be an even better fit with a different head/cam setup to boost power into the 350hp area.
2. Would make the car more afforable than the GTO thus increasing sales
3. If the camaro had this motor it would be supported by three different cars and make manufacturing cheaper.

I will buy a new camaro when and if it ever comes out, no matter what v8 it has in it.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 AM

6 speed autos and manuals on all models
LS2
LS4
3.9L VVT pushrod V6
Mustang pricing
great styling is implyed
Targa or T-tops
3400lbs. max
better back seat than the 4th gen.

AWD would be a cool $1995 option on V6 and LS4 cars. I think it would sell a lot of cars.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Here is what I think we are getting:

Something new for the platform, it has not been discussed or released
2 V8s
5.3 for SS or mid level w/DOD
6.0 LS2 or 6.4 L92 for limited edition Z/28
3.9 60° V6 for the Base engine w/DOD

2 six speed autos(different torque capacities)
6 speed stick w/ V6 or V8

Z/28 stick only.

Vert option after a few years.

IRS is a must

Butt kicking interior and stunning sheet metal are required.

Refreshes should be every 3 or 4 years depending on how the market reacts.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Power on the V-6 model is not of paramount importance. I would like for it to be more powerful than the mustangs 6 but I don't think it's critical. The main issues I would concentrate on fuel efficiency, interior comfort, and value.
Value should be the key factor too. For the base model this means you shouldn't be able to go out and buy a car with a better interior for less money, and you shouldn't be able to buy a 2+2 with more interior room and comfort for less money. Also The fuel economy could be even more of a deciding factor too as gas prices continue to rise.

I also wouln't mind seeing a turbo or supercharged V-6 RS or something.

I would like to see a Z28 that's more like the Z06 as far as it's just a performance coupe( no convertible or T-tops).

SS model with all the frills and powerful V-8, with options like XM and Onstar.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:02 PM

I wonder if a certain person is male or female. It would explain why they don't see a need for a new Camaro. anasazi, care to answer that, as well as what cars you drive? As someone else mentioned, without any competition why should Ford improve it? Right now the GT is 300hp. 02 F-bodies were what like 345. It would be great to have a car from all 3 in that class. I thought that the charger was coming back but Oh well. Competition is a good thing for fans of all brands. I would like some Baer brakes behind a nice set of 17's or 18's. My cousins Cobra has Brembo's from the factory. My 94's brakes could be better. If DoD is offered, I agree it shouldn't be mandatory but optional maybe with the RS. It will take ppl a while to warm up to this tech., from GM anyway. Speaking of options, we should not have to get every option. I would have bought a new Camaro if every one I found wasn't 36 grand +. Make them more like they used to be lots of options.Or atleast a lower priced V8 model. Suppose I want to drag race. I don't need a car loaded down with every option. Interiors, man if its anything like the GTO I'll be thrilled.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:18 PM

This formula would make me happy. V8 (i wouldn't even care if it was an LS1, i would think that would be a lot better than a LS4) + T56 (anything wrong with this tranny?) + A rear-end that doesn't explode with traction!!!!+ Cloth seats+ fix the problem with power windows or offer manual windows.

TONY
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz
Not everyone likes the Mustang.

Plus not everyone is in love with the new Mustang. I for one do not care for its styling as the entire car IMHO looks very unappealing to me.

Mustang, what Incentive does Ford have to ever make this car better year after year and put improvments on it.

"Not everyone likes the Mustang."
Tell that to Ford its 1964 all over again! there ramping up production more than expected something like 60% more if I am right. 200K of this car is not far fetched.

"Plus not everyone is in love with the new Mustang. I for one do not care for its styling as the entire car IMHO looks very unappealing to me. "
I see about 10 of them on the streets down here in Orlando every day, just went past a Ford dealer with about 20 sitting out front.

"Mustang, what Incentive does Ford have to ever make this car better year after year and put improvments on it. "
dont really have to make improvements on a best seller, the aftermarket will. I have seen the convertible come out so far thats new, Saw a Salleen yesterday. Shelby is back, Bullit and Mach 1 are being looked at, even a T-Top version...what is there not to like about the car???? This cars got the apeal of the masses with the aftermarket that the 5.0 fox bodies have and its a hit again...

and the big plus! maybee its converting little rice boys to real toys
Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Here is what I think we are getting:

Something new for the platform, it has not been discussed or released
2 V8s
5.3 for SS or mid level w/DOD
6.0 LS2 or 6.4 L92 for limited edition Z/28
3.9 60° V6 for the Base engine w/DOD

2 six speed autos(different torque capacities)
6 speed stick w/ V6 or V8

Z/28 stick only.

Vert option after a few years.

IRS is a must

Butt kicking interior and stunning sheet metal are required.

Refreshes should be every 3 or 4 years depending on how the market reacts.
The SS is chevy's top of the line package for models now. why would they make the SS take a back seat to the Z28? and why would they make two 6 speeds with differant torque capacities? don't you think it would be cheaper for them to make one 6 speeds for both (V6 and V8)
Old 03-31-2005, 08:11 PM

i love the idea of a top of the line z/28, but we all must remember that the v6 needs to come first. that will be what makes or brakes whether GM makes a profit off of it.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD8200
The SS is chevy's top of the line package for models now. why would they make the SS take a back seat to the Z28? and why would they make two 6 speeds with differant torque capacities? don't you think it would be cheaper for them to make one 6 speeds for both (V6 and V8)
Z28 will be along the lines of Z06 and the SS would be like the other SS trims widely available and fairly common something a Z28 would not be.

Gm likes to make different torque capacities for similar trannies, 4t40E, 4t60E, 4t65E, 4t80E. You can do see the same thing with the longitudinal trannies. The difference in development is made up by the smaller and weaker (also cheaper) parts used in the lower capacity transmissions.

Quick Reply: 5th gen check list