Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

5th gen with both IRS and live rear axle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 06:39 PM

Make mine with an IRS please.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by guess who
What part of the 1LE cars have to do with IROC?IROC cars (for the racing series) were just a fake rendition of a 3rd gen.NASCAR hasnt been NASCAR (true stock car racing like SCCA) since what the late 70's early 80's.Im not putting you in front of the class but I dont see the comparison.??But yes the car has to handle well it is the bigger part of the market.If they built a car only for the 1/4 it would be the stupidest car ever made.Yeah I can see it now some jack@** running into gaurdrails, flying off exit ramps because they didnt want handling...
To my knowledge those cars had to run a stock style, or even stock suspension, which was available on a production run car that you or I could buy. Obviously the IROC cars were quite a bit different but i didn't think they could urn all out suspensions & chassis in those races
Old 01-21-2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by fyrhwk1
To my knowledge those cars had to run a stock style, or even stock suspension, which was available on a production run car that you or I could buy. Obviously the IROC cars were quite a bit different but i didn't think they could urn all out suspensions & chassis in those races
The IROC series started with real Porsche 911's. In 1977 the switched to real Z/28's, modified for racing.

From '78 and on they became tube frame, silouette cars with no relation to production cars.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:12 PM

Thank you Pacer X for your...as always...interesting technical input.

After reading that, I am officially for IRS across the board for Camaro!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:41 PM

For everyone crying money issues , and in a " Disney " world . Why is Ford reverse engineering and already IRS chassis to make the V6 and GT models more affordable ? Everyone keeps on reffering to the FOX body ........but Im talking about the NEW mustang .

And PacerX .....sorry man . I still don't think its gonna make such a difference for an adult they would be like " Wow, its actually liveable back here " . Don't take it personal man , its just my opinion

I hope back seats are the last thing on the list of priorities on the theoretical new Camaro
Old 01-22-2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by 87camracer
let me adress some alarming issues i see while reading this:

RIDE QUALITY who HONESTLY buys an f-body for the ride quality?!

Few. If any at all... And I think that is a major part of the problem. Lot's of missed sales.

And that's why I think IRS is essential to the success of a future Camaro and/or Firebird.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:40 AM

"Thank you Pacer X for your...as always...interesting technical input."

I appreciate that, thanks a lot. It's good to have a forum where I can unload some of this stuff sometimes, because what I work on now requires little, if any, brain work.

"And PacerX .....sorry man . I still don't think its gonna make such a difference for an adult they would be like " Wow, its actually liveable back here " . Don't take it personal man , its just my opinion "

Not personal at all bro, your opinion is cool. Differing opinions make the world go around.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
The IROC series started with real Porsche 911's. In 1977 the switched to real Z/28's, modified for racing.

From '78 and on they became tube frame, silouette cars with no relation to production cars.
ahh, i wasnt aware that it switched like that, my mistake.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Few. If any at all... And I think that is a major part of the problem. Lot's of missed sales.

And that's why I think IRS is essential to the success of a future Camaro and/or Firebird.
this is what i am talking about. the ride doesnt have to be absolutely horrible but at the same time there is not one person that bought a camaro in the 35 years it was made for the ride quality.

it was either a status symbol or to be a true performer.

to the person that talked about BMW ride quality, notice how much those cars cost? they cost that much for a reason. notice how much a vette costs? it costs that for a reason. it takes alot of money to design and test over and over and over again to get everything just perfect. thats not what the camaro is about.

and finally to whoever said making these cars drag race only cars eliminates a large portion of the market. thats on reason why OPTIONS and lots of them would be a good thing. like i said you want a true strip only car, option it that way. you want a true road race car, option it that way. i think (and i guess my point was confused in my last post) that IRS SHOULD be on the camaro but as an option only. that pleases everybody in one sweeping motion.

and as far as dealer optioned cars, i think the ealers have a pretty good idea of what sells and they can order the cars ackordingly. then when you have a true enthusiast come in, they can have their car optioned exactly how they want it.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:40 PM

this is what i am talking about. the ride doesnt have to be absolutely horrible but at the same time there is not one person that bought a camaro in the 35 years it was made for the ride quality.

it was either a status symbol or to be a true performer.

to the person that talked about BMW ride quality, notice how much those cars cost? they cost that much for a reason. notice how much a vette costs? it costs that for a reason. it takes alot of money to design and test over and over and over again to get everything just perfect. thats not what the camaro is about.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, my friend! I don't like the sound of that!

To me it sounds like you are saying ..."We are Camaro people....of course we will accept crap!"

You can go down to your Mazda dealer right now and buy a Mazda 6, for about $20k. It has an extremely sophisticated chassis that rides like a dream and handles like a race car.

THERE IS NO WAY I WILL EXPECT ANYTHING LESS ON A CAMARO!!!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:47 PM

no thats not what i meant to imply. i am simply saying doing all this is going to push the camaro further away from its targeted maket. how many 16-30 year olds do you know that can afford a base model car starting at 35k? i say that because i know all the developement and parts for an IRS system are going to hike the already pretty high price...

of course it might just be lack of sleep too.

and the camaro was never meant to be a ferrari or viper threat. thats the vettes job. the camaro was meant to be an all around performer. cheap while still doing a damn good job of whatever it was doing at the time. which meant it could have a cheaper price tag.

i feel there are alot of other problem areas that need to have money spent on rather than a tried and true spot like the suspension.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Prominent Member

Not the target market......

no thats not what i meant to imply. i am simply saying doing all this is going to push the camaro further away from its targeted maket. how many 16-30 year olds do you know that can afford a base model car starting at 35k? .......
The current target for the Camaro is the 40-45 year old.which I'd agree is too old & affluent (I'm both of those but refuse to spend over $35k for a car).....but the target has never been 16-24 years old buyers....nor should it be. Way too much car (Z/28 - SS) for this age group.

I'd like to see the 5th gen priced (in today's prices) from a base of near $20k to a fully loaded model being in the low $30k range.....IOW not too much different than today, but it needs to be a better car...a much better car.

GM is trying to fix the lower end models, Cavalier, Grand Am, etc...and with the Ecotec engines will make up the performance lead the Imports now have....

The Camaro will remain a poor man's Corvette....
Old 01-22-2003, 10:11 PM

no thats not what i meant to imply. i am simply saying doing all this is going to push the camaro further away from its targeted maket. how many 16-30 year olds do you know that can afford a base model car starting at 35k? i say that because i know all the developement and parts for an IRS system are going to hike the already pretty high price...
Somehow, they manage to put an IRS on the 14,000 Honda Civic. I think they could do it on Camaro. [Before anyone says "yeah, but it's FWD", the front is independent also.]

BTW, I don't think it should top 30K in today's dollars.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by WERM
Somehow, they manage to put an IRS on the 14,000 Honda Civic. I think they could do it on Camaro. [Before anyone says "yeah, but it's FWD", the front is independent also.]

Exactly... IRS (and IFS if that is correct) is on almost every car outthere anymore... time for Camaro to step into the modern world with IRS.

I really dont think the extra cost would be that drastic.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:56 PM

When I started this thread I was intrigued that Ford would even consider offering a live rear axle on a future Mustang...and wanted to gather opinion on how that may relate to future Camaro.

After all of this discussion...I am back to my original position.

IRS ON EVERY CAMARO! From the most basic V6 coupe to the ***** out, canyon carving Z/28.

Quick Reply: 5th gen with both IRS and live rear axle.