Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

400HP 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
But, hypothetically speaking, if the vette got a power boost of it's own for MY10....
even so, let's (hypothetically) say the vette goes up to 450, that still only gives chevy the ability to MAYBE come in at 420-425 hp on the camaro. 425 hp on a 3600-3700 pound camaro will still be very close in performance to a 400 hp 3500 pound GT. of course, all of this is hypo, but it's also rumored that the GT is being sent off to jenny craig. so, it may weigh less than the camaro. we'll see.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
even so, let's (hypothetically) say the vette goes up to 450, that still only gives chevy the ability to MAYBE come in at 420-425 hp on the camaro. 425 hp on a 3600-3700 pound camaro will still be very close in performance to a 400 hp 3500 pound GT. of course, all of this is hypo, but it's also rumored that the GT is being sent off to jenny craig. so, it may weigh less than the camaro. we'll see.
It's going to have to, because it weighs more than 3500 now. Throw in a heavier 32v engine, and it's not going to get any lighter.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM

I'm still waiting to see the MPG predictions for the new GT. Anybody? With all this supposed insider information when are we going to get a hint towards that?

The current setup does not get good mileage and with the current and future gas price issues, poor mileage is not going to be considered acceptable for a new car purchase.

Not even enthusiasts are immune to a nagging spouse, higher food bill, and other mitigating factors which will turn them away from poor gas mileage.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by grossesexy
I'm still waiting to see the MPG predictions for the new GT. Anybody? With all this supposed insider information when are we going to get a hint towards that?

The current setup does not get good mileage and with the current and future gas price issues, poor mileage is not going to be considered acceptable for a new car purchase.

Not even enthusiasts are immune to a nagging spouse, higher food bill, and other mitigating factors which will turn them away from poor gas mileage.
Considering that this is rumored to be a 2011 model, and such numbers typically don't come out until just before the car is put on sale, you're probably looking at waiting 2 years for EPA numbers.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Considering that this is rumored to be a 2011 model, and such numbers typically don't come out until just before the car is put on sale, you're probably looking at waiting 2 years for EPA numbers.
I'd be satisfied with a "it will do better than the current model" or "it will be the same or worse than the current model" type prediction. If we have all this inside information being spilled about the engine's horsepower and chassis weight then I'm guessing somebody knows about potential gearing and should be able to give a reasonable estimate like I stated.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by grossesexy
I'd be satisfied with a "it will do better than the current model" or "it will be the same or worse than the current model" type prediction. If we have all this inside information being spilled about the engine's horsepower and chassis weight then I'm guessing somebody knows about potential gearing and should be able to give a reasonable estimate like I stated.
Okay. It'll probably be a little better.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Okay. It'll probably be a little better.
We're gonna hold you to that, ok??
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 AM

2009 Mustang production started Tuesday, May 27 at the Flat Rock MI plant. Yesterday I saw an orange Mustang with temp tags and a 302 decal on the side. Probably a Boss 302, but I dont know the hp/tq ratings. I guess my anemic 315hp 2008 Bullitt is already obsolete!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
2009 Mustang production started Tuesday, May 27 at the Flat Rock MI plant. Yesterday I saw an orange Mustang with temp tags and a 302 decal on the side. Probably a Boss 302, but I dont know the hp/tq ratings. I guess my anemic 315hp 2008 Bullitt is already obsolete!
i dont know what youre talking about. New engines and refreshed mustangs did not start last month

Last edited by cjmatt; 06-08-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 PM

could be the saleen.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guionM
Just had to let the cat out of the bag, didn't ya?

Doesn't matter. It should still be intresting to see how these "Mustang will never beat a Camaro" people handle the upcoming matchups.
And the price issue.
I can't find the thread anymore, but I could've sworn I read one on here that was a copy of Mr. Lutz saying the price of the new Camaro was going to be a premium and wasn't concerned with the GT....which kinda doesn't make sense...but who knows.
If the prices are anywhere near what they were in 02, I'll be buying a GT again in 2011.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
With mods?? How about a car that performs the same, right from the factory, with tires?? (I'm referring to the Z06). Same horsepower as the GT500.
You're comparing a 2 seater purpose built 500hp sports car to a 4 seater 500hp pony car, that don't even cost/weigh the same. Might as well compare them to a SRT10 pickup as well...

Total epic failure? Well, the car disappointed even most MUSTANG fans, so I'd have to say "yeah" .
About as many Camaro fans will be disappointed with the Z28 then, even it if performs well. Ask anyone who's owned both, and I can guarentee that most will choose the GT500 over the Cobra.

Faster than?? Hmmmm, maybe I haven't read up enough on them recently, but I thought they were about even, with the old Cobra actually being slightly quicker? (and if not, at least it was a WAY better "bang for the buck").
GT500 is quicker. Not taking away from the Cobra.

Back to the topic at hand (400 HP 5.0L 2010 Mustang GT) ..... I'd wager that if they maintain the car's weight around ~35xx lbs, it'll give its "big brother" the GT500 a run for its money! (as it most certainly will an LS1 Camaro as well).
Will have to wait to see gearing/tranny/weight/powre on that one.
BUT... that would be current GT500, not the future GT500. It's not like that car will stand still either.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by boomer78
You're comparing a 2 seater purpose built 500hp sports car to a 4 seater 500hp pony car, that don't even cost/weigh the same. Might as well compare them to a SRT10 pickup as well...
Whoa, let's back this train up a little, ok? I made a simple remark, and you jumped all over me for it:
Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Heck, the GT500 is worse than just a "dud" IMO ..... that thing is a complete back-fire!! .
Yeah selling all of them...having markups for years...
... and able to whip out low 11s high 10s with mods...

Total epic failure.....
And as far as price?? Heh, once the dealers slap on their hefty mark-ups, the GT500 IS almost as expensive as the Z06!

About as many Camaro fans will be disappointed with the Z28 then, even it if performs well. Ask anyone who's owned both, and I can guarentee that most will choose the GT500 over the Cobra.
GREAT argument!

So you're saying that just as many people are going to be disappointed with the Camaro? (a car that pretty much NOBODY knows anything about yet) as the GT500?? Hmmm, so you're admitting that there are people disappointed with the GT500?? (if it's not the GT500's lack-lustre performance, then what are the reasons, do you know???). Nice to know that you have such high expectations for the Camaro already .

AND, you say that most prefer the newer GT500 over the '03/'04 Cobra?? BUT, considering your reasoning for people being disappointed in the next Camaro (certainly, this is because of the power/weight issue?) then I think you've just proved that argument WRONG, because now you're saying that most folks prefer the newer, heavier car?!

Wow, I'm confused!

GT500 is quicker. Not taking away from the Cobra.
Like I said, I don't know exactly what they run, but I remember reading after the GT500's first came out, and I was pretty sure that high 12's were about the norm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Cobras good for mid-high 12's too? I KNOW that they're over 100 HP less than the GT500 (THAT I know). And NOW, we're not comparing the GT500 to "purpose built 2-seater", we're comparing it DIRECTLY to its own flesh and blood! That, my friend, is my whole point!! You shouldn't be able to "compare" cars with ~100 HP difference, because you'd expect a HUGE gap in performance. And yet there isn't. And then, when I compare it to a car with the SAME HP, it gets its a$$ handed to it!

Maybe when the re-modelled Mustang GT comes out with its ~400 HP 5.0L, it'll actually perform how most would expect a ~400 HP car to perform?

Last edited by Capn Pete; 06-08-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Head 2 Head - Cobra vs GT500

Surprising how that drag race turned out.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

No offesne Capn, but you are making yourself look pretty ignorant.

Quick Reply: 400HP 2010 Mustang GT