Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

400HP 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
Better hope that the Camaro makes a lot of torque...
Of course it will, it has a torque gauge!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Just had to let the cat out of the bag, didn't ya?

Doesn't matter. It should still be intresting to see how these "Mustang will never beat a Camaro" people handle the upcoming matchups.
Since the Camaro has an IRS, the matchup will be a bumpy road course.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Since the Camaro has an IRS, the matchup will be a bumpy road course.
I think Camaro might actually take it on a road course.

But ever since I got a independent source to say 400 horses was on tap for the next Mustang, I realized that the 200-300 pound difference was likely more than enough to offset Camaro's 30 horse advantage.

I didn't say anything because I was busy getting tared and feathered and roasted over maintaining that the current Mustang GT is as quick as the LS1 Camaro up to a quarter mile (at least the non 2001 & 2002 versions). I wasn't abot to let out that the next Mustang GT wasn't going to give any quarter to the new Camaro. I was leaving that up to someone else to figure out.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by foxbat
it also bewilders me, the belief some have that a mustang can never take a camaro (speed-wise). mustang had the performance edge before the 4th gens came on. lightweight foxbody 225hp 5.0 mustangs were outperforming heavier 3rd gens in the late 80's and early 90's.

ford is not going to sit idly by and watch chevy, dodge, nissan or anyone else slide in and take away their bread and butter. especially now where detroit's makers are struggling for life, they are ALL going to fight very hard for the almighty consumer dollar.
Great, so the Mustang was more competitive (performance wise) in the 80's . That was ~20 years ago!! Fact of the matter is, once GM put the LT1 into the F-bodies, it's been bye, bye Mustang ever since (again, from a performance aspect).

And you say they're not going to sit idly by and watch the competition steal their thunder? Hmm, hasn't that been happening since late 1992? (ok, with the exception of a few years where GM dropped out of the running!!!)

I think Camaro might actually take it on a road course.

But ever since I got a independent source to say 400 horses was on tap for the next Mustang, I realized that the 200-300 pound difference was likely more than enough to offset Camaro's 30 horse advantage.

I didn't say anything because I was busy getting tared and feathered and roasted over maintaining that the current Mustang GT is as quick as the LS1 Camaro up to a quarter mile (at least the non 2001 & 2002 versions). I wasn't abot to let out that the next Mustang GT wasn't going to give any quarter to the new Camaro. I was leaving that up to someone else to figure out.
Thank you for posting something that was actually RELEVANT to this topic!! I know that we can argue all day about the Mustang's sales "performance", but that was not the intention of this thread, and you know it, so why muddle it up with posting sales figures from 2002.

THE POINT IS, it sounds like Ford may actually come out with something competitive for the main-stream performance market!! (I'm not talking about limited quantity Cobras and GT500's ..... I'm talking every day, run-of-the-mill Mustang GT's). Should we Camaro guys be worried?? Well, I don't know if I'd say "worried", but concerned? Yeah, probably!

GOOD!!! I welcome the challenge!! It's about time Ford stepped it up a bit. Regardless of SALES figures, my 2002 Z28 will kick a$$ over a 2008 Mustang GT, and that is truly pathetic!!

I guess we'll see what happens in a couple years when the new Camaro is out, and the updated Mustang comes out. I'm not denying that we may very well have a SERIOUS competitor on our hands, and honestly, I say "bring it on!!!"

Last edited by Capn Pete; 06-07-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM

This 'fight' could turn ugly quickly on both sides.

And we'll be able to reap the benefits ( as long as you have a fat wallet )

And that's not even considering the aftermarket 'toys' for these cars.

Just hope it sells...
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by boomer78
This 'fight' could turn ugly quickly on both sides.

And that's not even considering the aftermarket 'toys' for these cars.
Yeah, but once aftermarket gets involved, all bets go out the window. Not that it doesn't count who's ultimately the fastest (including aftermarket upgrades) but I think it's important for the cars to come out of the factory guns a blazin' . For the last ~15 years or so, the Mustang has been shooting blanks . Heck, the GT500 is worse than just a "dud" IMO ..... that thing is a complete back-fire!!

The ONLY clear exception to all of this was the '03/'04 Cobra . Performance wise, that's the Mustang's only solid defense.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 AM
West South Central Moderator

You must have missed that other memo because you aren't talking facts here, bud.

More men bought V6 Mustangs in 2002 than bought Camaros.
This makes me wonder how many father's bought their daughters new cars...
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Heck, the GT500 is worse than just a "dud" IMO ..... that thing is a complete back-fire!! .
Yeah selling all of them...having markups for years...
... and able to whip out low 11s high 10s with mods...

Total epic failure.....

It is faster than its predecessor and more responsive (obviously) to engine mods.
You have to remember they can't blow their whole load at once.
And believe me, they haven't...not by a LONGGGGG shot.

I said this a while back. The Z28/Gt500 battle could potentially get very silly...
Its who has the ***** to put the engine in the car.

It's all for nothing though if they can't sell them.

Last edited by boomer78; 06-07-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by boomer78
Yeah selling all of them...having markups for years...
... and able to whip out low 11s high 10s with mods...

Total epic failure.....
With mods?? How about a car that performs the same, right from the factory, with tires?? (I'm referring to the Z06). Same horsepower as the GT500.

Total epic failure? Well, the car disappointed even most MUSTANG fans, so I'd have to say "yeah" .

It is faster than its predecessor and more responsive (obviously) to engine mods.
Faster than?? Hmmmm, maybe I haven't read up enough on them recently, but I thought they were about even, with the old Cobra actually being slightly quicker? (and if not, at least it was a WAY better "bang for the buck").

Back to the topic at hand (400 HP 5.0L 2010 Mustang GT) ..... I'd wager that if they maintain the car's weight around ~35xx lbs, it'll give its "big brother" the GT500 a run for its money! (as it most certainly will an LS1 Camaro as well).
Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
Hate to break it to everyone but if the 400hp Mustang GT comes in at 3500-3600lb then the 400hp Camaro SS is going to be in a lot of trouble with the current weight predictions of 3800 to 3900 lbs. Total horsepower is only as important as the power to weight ratio. Better hope that the Camaro makes a lot of torque...
Where are you getting the 400 hp from?
Old 06-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Where are you getting the 400 hp from?
most sources claim rumors of around 400hp for the camaro. since an ls3 vette is producing 430/436, it's highly unlikely gm is gonna throw down a bunch more than 400 hp on a lesser $$ camaro.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:52 PM

Guess you didn't get the memo that Camaro ended production in 2002 after Ford managed to sell more Mustangs than GM sold Camaros and firebirds combined.

In a GM created 15 month model year that saw 42,098 Camaros sold, The fact that Ford managed to sell 142,404 tells me that Mustangs were just a little bit beyond competitive. They outsold Camaro by roughly 100,000 cars.... [b[or roughly 350%![/b]

There's too many neanderthals running around here that forget that competition means squat if it isn't selling.... let alone if it's being slaughterd on the marketplace so badly that it's discontinued.

Neanderthals couldn't adapt to the changes in the real enviroment, and like the Camaro they became extinct, though fortunately for Camaro, it's reborn as something that isn't focused on high horsepower numbers. Neanderthals stayed extinct.

Don't be a neanderthal.
He was talking about power, you can have a badass v8 and still have a great v6 car to sell.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
most sources claim rumors of around 400hp for the camaro. since an ls3 vette is producing 430/436, it's highly unlikely gm is gonna throw down a bunch more than 400 hp on a lesser $$ camaro.
But, hypothetically speaking, if the vette got a power boost of it's own for MY10....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 PM

I wonder if Ford has figured out its electronics for the V8s any better than the current stuff. I know my 4.6 Cobra got horrible mileage. I don't see a 5.0 with 400 hp doing much better.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
I wonder if Ford has figured out its electronics for the V8s any better than the current stuff. I know my 4.6 Cobra got horrible mileage. I don't see a 5.0 with 400 hp doing much better.
depends what tranny they use. i know my old 07GT needed a 6sd.

Quick Reply: 400HP 2010 Mustang GT