Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

350Z Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:58 PM

well the price diffrence is cus of how many were sold..a crap load more Vettes were sold than 300ZX TT's I would figure..and thats where you pay the price increase..rarity..
Think of it this way..how much is a nice mid 90's Impala SS still going for? 15-20K??? cus its a rare car..and desired...
or a Grand National...like an 87..that rare and worth big $$$..

so the fair thing would be a Callaway C4 and a 300ZX TT
..then you can compare..
its like TT Supras..how many do you see?? and how much are they worth..

its perception of value...and C4 vettes are not worth much now considering the bang for the buck of the C5...take that into consideration too...

and for 30K...I would go WRX STi or a Mitsu Evo...or even a Dodge SRT-4..with MOPAR backed mods!
Daily driver and also fast! with the "cheap" interior panels..lol..
gotta remember these are mass produced FUN cars..not luxury..you get what you pay for..speed and handeling..nothing else..
Old 07-25-2003, 06:13 PM

Posted by steves
Your the first.
Gee, for a person on his first day, you sure are speaking factualy and getting on some nerves for owning a 350Z (Not that you are any less an enthusiest, but this IS a fbody and GM board). You better watch out, because these guys can and will tear you apart. Just FYI.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:16 PM

Steve: Read the sig. It's a '98 C5.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:28 PM

Also, about the last thing you want to go into is the desirability and collectability of Corvettes vs. the Z.

When the Z has the history, the passionate support, the thousands of pages of reproduction/aftermarket parts, the multiple tuners dedicated to it, and the widespread community, come back and talk.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't happened yet. In fact, I could make a case that the Z IS the modern equivalent of the early Corvette, at least in terms of price. A '65 Corvette in today's dollars was about $24,000 base. The Z is about $27,000 base. However, I would argue that the 350Z's styling is somewhat less than timeless--and, in fact, quite inferior to the outgoing 300ZXes. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Let's leave it as: I don't like your car because the one I drove was slow and ugly and sounded like flatulence, and you don't like mine because the ones you saw led you to think they're low-quality American POSes.

That's fine. I agree to disagree.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by steves
80's vintage or 90's vintage?

Look in your local autotrader to see what any C4 other than a ZR-1/Grandsport are going for. Then look at what a 90's 300zx (any style or miles) is going for. Which one holds it's value better? I've even seen early ZR-1's going for low 20's. Weren't the early ZR-1's going for 100,000+++? They were stickering in the 60's if I am not mistaken. A 300zx tt was stickering in the low 40's, on ebay there is a 96 300zx tt @22985 buy now with 30k on it. I'm not trying to put the vette down but fact is fact. What year is the vert your talking about? What did it sticker for? Is the intake manifold leaking (if it's an LT1 it is)?
ZR1's for low 20's????????????? Unless they are in bad shape, I have never seen one that low and if I did, there would be a new vehicle out in the driveway.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:46 PM

steves, Did you look at the G35 at all? To me that would be a better car than the 350Z mostly because it is more useful with it's back seat, its an Infiniti so it should have a better interior and build than a Nissan (but I havn't compared them so I don't know) , offers about the same performance (same engine but 150lbs. heavier) , and cost almost the same.

basically the same car just one is a 2 seater and the other seats 4. I'd just like to know how you thought the G35 stacked up with the other cars you looked at.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:32 PM

I own a 350z and before I bought it I looked at alot of different cars. I owned a 96 Z28, 99 GTP and I also drove a Z06. Any piece of plastic in the 350z looks and feels better than in any of those cars. For that matter a buddy of mine just bought an Escalade and this vehicle is supposed to be the best GM has to offer, I think the materials in the interior of my 350z are superior.
Neither the Camaro, Corvette or GTP are known for having great interiors...so comparing them to the 350z isn't the best comparision.

By most accounts, GM has some of the worst interiors in the industry. It's one of their greatest weaknesses. (But at least Lutz was quick to take action on this).
Old 07-25-2003, 09:46 PM

"ZR1's for low 20's????????????? Unless they are in bad shape, I have never seen one that low and if I did, there would be a new vehicle out in the driveway."

Then you better get your checkbook out. It's true.

I priced a 1991 with 28,000 miles at $23,900 - it was pristine.

ZR-1 prices have fallen like a rock for the last few years, now is the time to buy before the market comes to its senses and they go back up - and they will.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:31 PM

ever since the C5 came out..anything from the C3 to C4..they are cheepo's...
Old 07-25-2003, 10:34 PM

I came across a really nice 90' ZR1, white, 30k miles, everything looked perfect and they wanted 37k I believe. I have seen a few others that were all about the same. All the ones I have seen have barely been driven. I haven't looked around for them in a year or two so I guess things changed or I never saw a realy good deal.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:30 PM

Someone in the beginning of this post mentioned that they would rather spend their money on a used vette rather than a 350z. Fine that's your opinion. The article that started this post ripped the 350z to shreds. I don't agree. I know I can be rude but if you haven't driven a 350z don't cut it down. That's rude. I've driven plenty of vettes and IMO they are nice cars. A 300zx tt does get more money than a vette from the same year. Yes there are ZR-1's going for the low 20's believe it or not. Know one here has to believe me. I really don't care.
I've owned enough GM car's to know they end up being a dissapointment. I always wanted a Camaro and when I finally got one it was a nightmare. I like GM vehicles and am a little disapointed in the fact that they are the largest car company in the world and I cannot find a car they sell that has some decent quality and dependability. As far as I know the engineers and designers monitor this forum and if they listen to even 25% of what I say, or to what you people say the next Camaro might be something special. So don't bust my chops because of my opinion. If any of the info I stated is wrong please correct me.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:31 PM

[. BTW from experience LT-1's are notorious for having leaking intake manifolds. They leak from the right rear. [/B]
No leak here either...86K miles on my 96 ImpalaSS.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by PacerX
"ZR1's for low 20's????????????? Unless they are in bad shape, I have never seen one that low and if I did, there would be a new vehicle out in the driveway."

Then you better get your checkbook out. It's true.

I priced a 1991 with 28,000 miles at $23,900 - it was pristine.

ZR-1 prices have fallen like a rock for the last few years, now is the time to buy before the market comes to its senses and they go back up - and they will.
THANK YOU!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by IMPALA64
No leak here either...86K miles on my 96 ImpalaSS.
I am just stating a fact. I had a 96 Z28 and a couple of my buddies have 96 Z28's. They all leaked and had the opti sparks replaced. If you read GM High Tech performance their project car had the same problems. If you guys don't have any leaks that's great. I am only stating what I had experienced.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
steves, Did you look at the G35 at all? To me that would be a better car than the 350Z mostly because it is more useful with it's back seat, its an Infiniti so it should have a better interior and build than a Nissan (but I havn't compared them so I don't know) , offers about the same performance (same engine but 150lbs. heavier) , and cost almost the same.

basically the same car just one is a 2 seater and the other seats 4. I'd just like to know how you thought the G35 stacked up with the other cars you looked at.
The G35 is awsome. It also stickers for mid 30's. My budget was under 30. I paid 28 OTD.

Quick Reply: 350Z Track