Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

22000 Corvettes recalled

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM

22000 Corvettes recalled

Wasn't this problem known when the C6 Z06 came out?:

WASHINGTON -- General Motors is recalling some 22,000 Chevrolet Corvettes, because of potentially leaky roofs, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Wednesday.

The recall includes 2005-2007 model year Corvettes with removable roofs and 2006-2007 Corvette Z06s, according to GM.

GM's recall includes 2005-2007 model year Corvettes with removable roofs and 2006-2007 Corvette Z06s.
A problem with the adhesive between the roof panel and the frame could cause them to pull apart, the agency said.

"If there is a complete separation, the roof panel may detach from the vehicle," according to the NHTSA. "If this were to occur while the vehicle was being driven, it could strike a following vehicle and cause injury and/or property damage."

Dealers will install a new design roof panel free of charge to correct the problem, NHTSA said in its recall notice.

The safety recall is expected to begin next month. Owners are being told Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438 or at www.gmownercenter.com.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Woops...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM

super glue > 3M

Does anyone who owns a corvette actually drive it in the rain or park it outside?

...(before I get quoted 50 times... it's a joke )
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 PM

The tops have a bad issue with rattling..I think that is what makes the glue come apart. As for the winter bit..if you go on Corvette Forums..it is shocking how many people drive their Vette's year round through crap.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM

Wow. It was YEARS ago there was a big thread on the vette forums from a guy who posted pics of his vette's roof totally peeled off.
All they did for him at the time was glue a new one on and say it was a one time thing.
I had totally forgotten about it until now. Wonder what finally forced a recall now and not back then?
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
Wow. It was YEARS ago there was a big thread on the vette forums from a guy who posted pics of his vette's roof totally peeled off.
All they did for him at the time was glue a new one on and say it was a one time thing.
I had totally forgotten about it until now. Wonder what finally forced a recall now and not back then?

Ya, ***IF*** I am remembering right, I believe they were blaming this on a 'bad batch of adhesive' the first time around.

Apparently that's not the case...???

*Again , if I am remembering this correctly*
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
The tops have a bad issue with rattling..I think that is what makes the glue come apart. As for the winter bit..if you go on Corvette Forums..it is shocking how many people drive their Vette's year round through crap.
Unless you live in the Arctic, I don't see why you can't drive it in the rain or the winter.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
This only impacts the first three years of the C6 coupes and then only the first two years of C6 Z's. 22k total cars affected, a relative drop in the bucket compared to other manufacturers out there. By 2008 GM had finally fixed the problem for good. Roofs on Z are held down with fasteners now. Not sure what the solution was on the coupes.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM

It was an adhesive problem w/ the original material on the painted tops. They came out w/ a fix a few years ago, but now have deemed that fix to be inadequate, so now all the affected cars get new tops w/ the SMC skin (these have been used since late in the '07 MY I think).
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM

*Sigh*- the more things change,... Didn't GM learn from all the problems they had with the adhesive on the roofs of the F-bodys? The 4th gen cars had problems with the adhesive seeping though the composite roof panels and bubbling the paint- the problem took a couple years to show up, usually outside of warranty, and didn't happen much if you didn't leave the car parked in the hot sun-

You would think that they could have learned a lesson previously-
Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
Unless you live in the Arctic, I don't see why you can't drive it in the rain or the winter.
Ditto.

We aren't talking about some rare car that was bought at $100,000+ at an exclusive auction. We're talking about a $45-50,000 Chevrolet Corvette that typically sell about 30,000 per year.

That is less money than a well equpted Tahoe and 3 times the production number of a Bullitt Mustang, but there isn't an issue in taking those vehicles out in the rain.

I have one of only 708 B4Cs made in 2002. 1 of only 128 in Arctic White, and 1 of only 90 that have the special CHP "speaker holes" in the bumper (that is forever being mistaken as air holes for intercoolers. ).

I drive it every day, Rain, shine, or snow (yes, it actually snows in parts of northern California).

Car still looks damn good!

That's because I'm not too lazy to take care of it.... or too scared to drive it.

Last edited by guionM; 12-31-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM

I was responding to the post above me where someone was questioning if they are ever driven in rain or snow.

Originally Posted by El Duce
Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM

Yea, I remember a while ago about roof delamination problems on the Corvette... lots of toupee flying off in the wind jokes. heh.

Anyways, I dug around and it seems like the original service TSB was a TEMPORARY fix.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...25-2006-a.html

It sounds like they finally sourced the permanent fix and made it an official safety recall. - I just hope this part is made clear. I would hate to be wondering if I got the revised roof and permanent fix, or just the bandaid fix. Looking over some vette forums, it looks like there is confusion right now.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ination-3.html

This poster claims the original polycarbionate roofs will all eventually fail, and the perm fix is the SMC roof. Sounds like the dealer will have to paint the roof to match your color.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572583625-post56.html

Last edited by Ken S; 12-31-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wild *****
*Sigh*- the more things change,... Didn't GM learn from all the problems they had with the adhesive on the roofs of the F-bodys? The 4th gen cars had problems with the adhesive seeping though the composite roof panels and bubbling the paint- the problem took a couple years to show up, usually outside of warranty, and didn't happen much if you didn't leave the car parked in the hot sun-

You would think that they could have learned a lesson previously-
Because I keep the miles low and the SS parked indoors when it's not on the road mine didn't begin to exhibit this until not only the warranty was expired but the artificial date set by GM to repair this on their dollar beyond the warranty had also expired. Maybe it will be worth more with the paint blistering as opposed to having been repaired.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM

hardtop.

Quick Reply: 22000 Corvettes recalled