Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2015 Chevy performance line-up. Let's have some fun!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Nobody wants to talk about the Aveo SS or Camaro RS?
Camaro RS: I'd rather see a turbo DI V6 myself.

Aveo SS: Engine is too big. Aveo needs a 1.0L turbo-DIESEL. You could have loads of torque and high gas mileage that would make some hybrids nervous.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Nobody wants to talk about the Aveo SS or Camaro RS?
What Aveo SS? (I'm hoping there isn't an Aveo to be discussed in 2015, or any other Korean-roots predecessor).

Let's talk about the Camaro RS36. It's got a turbo 3.6 good for 340hp and gets EPA 23/31. It comes in solid/non-metallic red, white, or blue, with a limited edition in metallic black with red-line tires and red bowties. It slots in between the entry non-turbo gas 3.6. Only one V8 option exists as the "SS" model, and that's the current top SS with fuel delivery improvements for better mileage.

Or the Malibu D. This is a 2.4L 240hp Diesel that gets EPA 31/41. It is also available in a DH version that incorporates direct drive electric motors and rechargable battery technology borrowed from the Volt that can give it a boost to 300hp, and will achieve EPA 33/47. Both are aimed downmarket from BMW's 530d, providing impressive performance while maintaining Chevrolet's value-strategy pricing.

The new "small car" performance version will have a 1.4L surpercharged turbo (yes, both) 4-cylinder with DSG transmission. It will be good for somewhere around 170-180hp and EPA 24/36.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
Let's talk about the Camaro RS36. It's got a turbo 3.6 good for 340hp and gets EPA 23/31. It comes in solid/non-metallic red, white, or blue, with a limited edition in metallic black with red-line tires and red bowties. It slots in between the entry non-turbo gas 3.6. Only one V8 option exists as the "SS" model, and that's the current top SS with fuel delivery improvements for better mileage.

Or the Malibu D. This is a 2.4L 240hp Diesel that gets EPA 31/41. It is also available in a DH version that incorporates direct drive electric motors and rechargable battery technology borrowed from the Volt that can give it a boost to 300hp, and will achieve EPA 33/47. Both are aimed downmarket from BMW's 530d, providing impressive performance while maintaining Chevrolet's value-strategy pricing.
I'd actually be interested in both of those products.

To be quite honest, if Camaro does go alpha and does go on a serious diet, I can't see the need for the 6.2L V8 anymore. A smaller 5.3L GenV V8 would be enough, wouldn't it?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:28 PM

What Aveo SS? (I'm hoping there isn't an Aveo to be discussed in 2015, or any other Korean-roots predecessor).

The new "small car" performance version will have a 1.4L surpercharged turbo (yes, both) 4-cylinder with DSG transmission. It will be good for somewhere around 170-180hp and EPA 24/36.
That's some pretty cool stuff right there.

The Aveo or whatever slots below Cruze on the Gamma architecture, has to come from somewhere. Could be from South America too. There's more than one GM engineer fascinated with a supercharged turbo system, you never know.

I'd like to see some turbo diesels in passenger cars too, unfortunately, they don't seem to have a bright future at GM.

I LOVE your RS36 ,sounds kind of VW-ish though - not that, that's a bad thing. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the turbo V6 program though.

Also, this is my fantasy thread - gots to have my REAL Z/28.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM

I think the real benefit of all the upgrades the GenV V8s will get is the potential. We might not see huge power boosts over previous models from the factory, but when they get into the hands of the aftermarket, things will really take off.

Charlie's Aveo SS seems to be a competitor for the Mini Cooper. If it can be done right, than I see no problem with an Aveo SS. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be considered.

Orlando SS? Why?

Camaro Z/28 - perfect.
Camaro SS - why 395 HP? Why not go for over 400, even if it's just for bragging rights?
Camaro RS - Interesting idea. As much power as the 5th gen's LS/LT models, but in a far lighter package.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
I think the real benefit of all the upgrades the GenV V8s will get is the potential. We might not see huge power boosts over previous models from the factory, but when they get into the hands of the aftermarket, things will really take off.

Charlie's Aveo SS seems to be a competitor for the Mini Cooper. If it can be done right, than I see no problem with an Aveo SS. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be considered.

Orlando SS? Why?

Camaro Z/28 - perfect.
Camaro SS - why 395 HP? Why not go for over 400, even if it's just for bragging rights?
Camaro RS - Interesting idea. As much power as the 5th gen's LS/LT models, but in a far lighter package.

I just pulled 395 out of thin air. I figured it would be a version of the 6.2, (similar to the current L99), tuned for mpg, and regular grade fuel. Maybe available only with an automatic trans for emissions.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM

I just pulled 395 out of thin air. I figured it would be a version of the 6.2, (similar to the current L99), tuned for mpg, and regular grade fuel. Maybe available only with an automatic trans for emissions.
By 2015 we'll have 8 speed automatics and today's 400hp L99 will see a huge increase in fuel mileage.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Maybe even 10 speeds!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 PM

I'd also like to see a 275HP-300HP 2.0L Turbo Malibu with a 6 speed manual.

N/A V6 should put out around that kind of HP in 2015. Turbo with a big engine like the 3.6L should be good for at least 400HP.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Am I weird for hoping that they stick to OHV V8s?
Nope, but an OHC engine spinning to 7k or there abouts doesn't require exotic valvetrain components to get the job done, especially if its a multivalve layout which also reduces the need for a big cam.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Nope, but an OHC engine spinning to 7k or there abouts doesn't require exotic valvetrain components to get the job done, especially if its a multivalve layout which also reduces the need for a big cam.
But then having all those cams cams sit on top of the heads increases the overall engine size and weight, so you'll probably have to reduce the displacement of the engine to make room.

I think the OHV design still has some time left in it with brining cam phasing and bringing the ls7 tech down to mainstream.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM

For fun, but......not based on pure fantasy either.
I love these discussions.

There was a rumor a while ago about GM readying DOHC heads for the GenV architecture. I don't know if it will go ahead but one would like to think that GM will be well prepared for the future range of Ford car and truck V8 engines, which will eventually spawn DOHC, VVT and DI technologies.

Oh, I still love the humble GM OHV V8 but it would be good to see what GM are capable of achieving with DOHC heads. All exciting stuff.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Although the DOHC does require a long timing chain in comparison to the humble OHV layout, not to mention significant packaging 'issues'.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ken S
But then having all those cams cams sit on top of the heads increases the overall engine size and weight, so you'll probably have to reduce the displacement of the engine to make room.

I think the OHV design still has some time left in it with brining cam phasing and bringing the ls7 tech down to mainstream.

You can get an OHC engine to be fairly compact (GM did it with the C4 ZR1 and Lotus did it with the V8 Esprit).

I'm not saying OHV engines are at the end of thier life, its just very expensive to make them high revving and reliable (like 100k reliable) in a production engine.

As far as LS7 tech downstream, its here with the LS3 cylinderheads IIRC, the recipocating assembly isn't any big deal and your never going to see titanium connecting rods in run of the mill stuff. That leaves the heads and again titanium isn't going to be run of the mill either (as cool as it is, its not really an ideal choice for intake valves - its just a light weight material that offers halfway decent mechanical properties and was a practical solution for the LS7).
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm not saying OHV engines are at the end of thier life, its just very expensive to make them high revving and reliable (like 100k reliable) in a production engine.
That's the beauty with the OHV, they don't need to be revved high to get the best power out of them. They make 'almost' perfect power for a street car.

Quick Reply: 2015 Chevy performance line-up. Let's have some fun!