Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2014 Chevy Impala

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Re: 2014 Chevy Impala

Actually the "swoosh" or downturn on the rear quarter panels is the part I like best. It reminds me of the rear quarters on the early-mid 1960s Impalas.

Last edited by jg95z28; 04-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM

You cant please everyone...

I personally love the new Impala, the rear end i admit is a little bland looking but it certainly is refreshing not to see the overused (in my opinion) "corporate front end" on this car.

They needed to do something different to keep it separate from the new malibu, otherwise it would just be another boring impala, doing that would take away the wow factor of the new malibu and the impala, thanks GM for actually letting us distinguish two different chevy models!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM

When I look at the front end styling, I see Camaro. I also think of VW. Anyway, it is such an improvement.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 AM

I like it. I just got a new Malibu for a company vehicle over an impala due to looks. In two years when I hit 75k on this Malibu, hopefully I can pick up one of these new impala's. I prefer the size of the impala, but the current design is long in the tooth.

Nice job Chevy.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Maybe it's the pictures but something doesn't seem "right" about the exterior. The tail lights scream econo-box car, the rear fenders try to put out a muscle-car vibe, and then you get to the front which goes back to the economy class/program car front end. The front end screams Honda Accord to me.

Best way I can describe it is that they tried to make it look more upscale but at the same time keep the affordable "Chevy Feel" to the design.

Also the interior looks great until you look at the most important part: the steering wheel and dash. That is a terrible steering wheel and that dash design just destroys what would be an other wise great looking interior.

The new Impala IMO looks like 5 ideas were thrown together in a blender and then slapped together very poorly. What happened to the great GM designing? It feels like they gave up and try to copy other manufacturer ideas and slap them on the new impala. I'm extremely disappointed in the car. The Malibu looks great while this is so disappointing.

Last edited by Brandon_Lutz; 04-05-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz
Maybe it's the pictures but something doesn't seem "right" about the exterior. The tail lights scream econo-box car, the rear fenders try to put out a muscle-car vibe, and then you get to the front which goes back to the economy class/program car front end. The front end screams Honda Accord to me.

Best way I can describe it is that they tried to make it look more upscale but at the same time keep the affordable "Chevy Feel" to the design.

Also the interior looks great until you look at the most important part: the steering wheel and dash. That is a terrible steering wheel and that dash design just destroys what would be an other wise great looking interior.

The new Impala IMO looks like 5 ideas were thrown together in a blender and then slapped together very poorly. What happened to the great GM designing? It feels like they gave up and try to copy other manufacturer ideas and slap them on the new impala. I'm extremely disappointed in the car. The Malibu looks great while this is so disappointing.
Thank you! that is exactly how I feel! I tried saying it right after this thread was posted but you stated it perfectly!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 AM

I don't think it looks like an economy car at all, front or rear. And think the dash looks sharp. The wheel, while not my favorite, isn't horrible.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM

It's 'ok', I guess. There are elements of the exterior design that just seem a bit sloppy to me. And adopting the Honda front mug as the new Chevy look is a head scratcher.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 04-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 PM

If it is still scooped up by the thousands for the rental car fleet, I'll never buy one. The resale value on the current Impala is horrible because of this.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
It just feels like the Impala and Malibu were styled by two different companies....
Well..... actually.... they were.

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz
The new Impala was meant to be a bit polarizing, while the Malibu was meant to be stylish and safe (as the volume car between the 2).

The problem with making the Impala like the Malibu would be that it would simply look like a bigger Malibu that cost more..... Then we'd complain about that.

Originally Posted by Joe Bellman
If it is still scooped up by the thousands for the rental car fleet, I'll never buy one. The resale value on the current Impala is horrible because of this.
Joe, the reason the old Impala became the king of rental fleets was because this was the "old GM's " way of keeping production numbers up and the factories working, and was also one of the philosophies that brought it to bankruptcy. When GM ran low on retail buyers, instead of cutting production, they would essentially give them to rental companies, sometimes below cost. The idea was that it was better to keep people working producing something and paying bills instead of paying them a portion of their pay to sit home and make nothing. GM sort of backed away from that some years ago when they cut production of Impala to something like 240K annually.

Since GM went through bankruptcy and shed excess workers and factories, they have backed away from not just that philosophy, but also giving cars away to rental agancies. Ford dropped this practice years ago Chrysler also dropped this practice, but have since gotten back into the fleet market, but not anywhere nearly as bad they used to be.

If you notice, you'll see a lot of Toyotas and Hyundais at car rental lots now.

Last edited by guionM; 04-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Looks a lot better than the current car, and appears to be a nice update. I don't see anything offensive to get so worked up about. It looks more upscale and refined, and should do well with it's target buyers.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Overall very nice update for the Impala. I am going to reserve final judgement on the styling until I see it in person. Some angles it looks good, some angles something doesn't seem right in the photos. I love the interior, except for one thing, the steering wheel.....that thing looks horrible.

He is some photos for reference, I am not seeing much Honda in the front end, but I do see some Camry.

2013 Toyota Avalon

Also Toyota unveiled the new Avalon at NYIAS after the Impala, and it looks like a pretty close copy of the new Impala, a big problem for GM is that the new Avalon will be in showrooms first.

The Avalon's interior is horrible in design and execution.

Impala's interior looks much better.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 04-05-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 AM

I can't really see people cross shopping an Impala with an Avalon (especially the previous/current model). That seems like it would be more Buick territory? But the new Impala does seem nice enough... maybe it could start happening?

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 04-06-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM

The new Avalon seems to have some current Ford styling influences in the nose. Either way it’s not a very attractive design
Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM

I, for the life of me, don't get the Camaro connection so many people are seeing. I think they did a good job and Its nice to see a fresh design, rather than retro based one. A shrunken down version of this shoulda been the new Malibu though. Compared to this Impala, the 2013 Malibu doesnt look all that great.

You know what I do see though? I see alot of that brand new 9-5 GM designed.

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevy Impala