Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2013 Ram 1500 unveiled with 8 speed auto, start/stop, air suspension. Pentastar V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 AM

2013 Ram 1500 unveiled with 8 speed auto, start/stop, air suspension. Pentastar V6

Wow Ram did a big mid-cycle refresh to the Ram 1500. With the mpg truck wars going on GM has it tough with its current 1500 trucks.

2013 Ram 1500 unveiled with eight-speed auto, start/stop, air suspension [w/videos]

The 305hp V6 with 8 speed auto should get 17/24 mpg.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Re: 2013 Ram 1500 unveiled with 8 speed auto, start/stop, air suspension. Pentastar V

Nice, now if they could just get the 8 speed auto into the Hemi cars.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Re: 2013 Ram 1500 unveiled with 8 speed auto, start/stop, air suspension. Pentastar V

Interesting. I wonder how much of an improvement in efficiency the air suspension really offers. I have to imagine it'll cost considerably more to maintain/repair once the miles pile on, so is the efficiency really worth the added cost of ownership?

I see in the link they also show it keeping the truck level. Maybe it's because I just never really drove around with a heavy load all that often, but even when I did have a heavy load in my truck (or have one in my 4runner) so that the back end sags down, I've never really been too concerned about the vehicle not being level.

Would it give any improvement to the ride? I remember in the early 90s the Lexus LS, Mercedes S class and I think even the Lincoln Mark whatever it was called had air suspensions supposedly to improve ride and handling, but it never seemed to translate to much.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Interesting. I wonder how much of an improvement in efficiency the air suspension really offers. I have to imagine it'll cost considerably more to maintain/repair once the miles pile on, so is the efficiency really worth the added cost of ownership?

I see in the link they also show it keeping the truck level. Maybe it's because I just never really drove around with a heavy load all that often, but even when I did have a heavy load in my truck (or have one in my 4runner) so that the back end sags down, I've never really been too concerned about the vehicle not being level.

Would it give any improvement to the ride? I remember in the early 90s the Lexus LS, Mercedes S class and I think even the Lincoln Mark whatever it was called had air suspensions supposedly to improve ride and handling, but it never seemed to translate to much.
Don't imagine, it does cost much more than traditional cars. Even if it doesn't break air suspension translated to quickly depreciating cars, as nobody wanted to fix the air suspensions when they broke. The default limp mode for the suspension on many of those cars you posted was rock hard suspension mode. Mercedes (especially the 600 v12's of the 1990's) was the biggest loser, it hurt resale for so many years.

However, if you are the original purchaser and you intend to only own the car a few years, air suspension is fantastic. It actually rides wonderfully, I just wish it was more reliable in the long run.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

I almost got the air suspension in my Grand Cherokee. I almost got the V8 as well.

I am kinda glad I didn't get either because it would have been money waited for my personal use. It is no rock crawler...it is a mall crawler.

That Pentastar V6 is pretty nice...I am happy with it.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Looking back at this thread...

The Dodge Ram Express costs around $22k... A Hemi V8 with a 8-speed auto for $22k! That is probably the best bang for buck muscle you can get.

Also, I found out air suspension is optional, so all of us who intend to own a car a long time can opt out.

However, the start/stop engine thing doesn't look to be optional. Hopefully it isn't put on the R/T and Express models. I personally don't like the start/stop feature and it will lead to more issues to a car down the road.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Don't know how the suspension will be tuned in this truck, but I love the ride in my Audi Allroad. I can raise it to have cleareance like Grand Cherokee, or lower it for highway driving. It's smooth over bumps, and just provides a level of comfort that traditional springs don't.

Having said that, you don't get as much feedback from the road as you get with regular springs. The air deadens this feedback. I have 2 Audis based on the same platform (C5), one with springs, one with the air ride.

Bottom line: air ride is comfy, but not sporty.