Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2012 Buick LaCrosse hits 37 mpg with standard hybrid tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM

2012 Buick LaCrosse hits 37 mpg with standard hybrid tech

http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-lacrosse-2012.html
Buick has just announced some major new for the 2012 model year LaCrosse, new eAssist “smart electrification” technology will come standard on all trim levels paired with the 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, boosting fuel economy to a very impressive 37 miles per gallon on the highway for the large luxury sedan.

This jump in fuel economy is made possible by adding a 115-volt lithium-ion battery, paired to a 15-kilowatt electric motor that is capable of producing 15 horsepower and 79 lb-ft of torque. The system is also capable of regenerative braking, which combined results in a 25 percent increase in fuel economy to 25 city, 37 highway.

In addition to this mild hybrid technology, Buick also equipped the 2012 LaCrosse with Start-Stop engine technology, which seamlessly powers down the engine at idle to conserve fuel, despite current EPA regulations failing to reflect savings in fuel economy ratings. Rounding out the changes that make these fuel economy figures possible is a six-speed automatic transmission, underbody aerodynamic tweaking and low-rolling resistance tires.

Like many other hybrids on the road, Buick will also equip the LaCrosse with an ECO gauge that allows drivers to see real-time usage and adjust driving accordingly for optimal economy.

The trade off for such a welcome gain in fuel economy comes in the form of a somewhat smaller truck space, as well as the addition of approximately 65 lbs.
Press Release: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...15_gm_lacrosse

25/37 mpg in a fullsize premium sedan. Wow, good job GM. That's up from 19/30 mpg in the current 4cyl. Advances in tech like this make new CAFE regulations more and more easy to reach.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM

Re: 2012 Buick LaCrosse hits 37 mpg with standard hybrid tech

What is the cost to the consumer for a 6-7 mpg increase? Notice there is no mention of what the new MSRP will be.

Is this going to be the first model in the industry to offer a hybrid powertrain as standard equipment (other than Prius and Volt obviously)?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Nice gains, and only 65 extra lbs. That is pretty good. Nice to see there is still a trunk pass though. I hate that about the Civic hybrid, the batteries block it.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Press release says it starts at "around" $30,000. That's a $3,000 increase over the current LaCrosse.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Press release says it starts at "around" $30,000. That's a $3,000 increase over the current LaCrosse.
Which, by my basic collage algebra that I haven't used in a decade, comes out to be 158730 Miles until you would break even with gas being $3.00

In case anyone would want to check my work:

Variables and consents
Highway Miles Non hybrid = 1/30
Highway Miles Hybrid =1/37
M = miles driven
Price of gas = 3
Cost = $3000
Gallons used = G

First formula tells us how many gallons we need to by to break even

Gallons used * price of gas = 3000
3G = 3000
G = 1000.

With Gas @ $3.00 we get a nice even 1000 Gallons needed to make up the $3,000 dollar price tag. To figure out the Miles difference I used highway miles.

Second formula tells us at what mileage we would have used 1000 more gallongs
{MPGn}M - {MGH}M = G
1/30M - 1/37M = 1000
37/1110(M) - 30/1110(M) = 1000
7/1110(M) = 1000
.0063M = 1000
M = 158730

Taking it step further...
M = G/.0063 for highway miles and
M = G/.0126 for city miles. With those you can quickly figure out at what mileage you start making money.

Few more scenarios:
Gas 3.00 using city mileages
79,365 Miles

Gas $2.50
Highway - 190476
City - 95238

Gas $3.50
Highway - 136053
City - 68027

Last edited by Evilfrog; 11-15-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM

I'm surprised to see the highway fuel economy jump by 23.3%. Even full hybrids usually don't usually see that sort of highway economy benefit. The highway economy might be one of those things that only applies to shorter or more sporadic speed trips - such as is found in the EPA's test cycle. I really doubt that if you set cruise at ~70-75 mph and just roll down the interstate until you've burned through a full tank of gas that you're going to see 37 mpg. Unless they've worked some serious magic tricks here.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Looks like it's "BAS-II", according the article.

While the eAssist system shares the same basic belt-alternator-starter configuration of previous BAS designs, it delivers more than three times the power and is much more capable than the previous-generation BAS system.

“The eAssist system is more than just the next-generation BAS system. The ability to integrate regenerative braking with the latest lithium-ion battery technology creates a system that delivers significant fuel-efficiency gains that customers will enjoy,” said Steve Poulos, global chief engineer of the eAssist system. “Being able to provide electric boost to the powertrain system during heavy acceleration and grade driving enables the LaCrosse transmission to operate more efficiently, while the added functionality of engine start-stop and fuel shut-off during deceleration provides added fuel savings.”
I guess that doesn't make it inherently bad, but it still leaves the car a fairly big technological step behind full hybrids that use continuously variable planetary setups.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM

Evilfrog - which is why hybrids should probably remain separate/optional models for every car. Let the people who truly feel the need to "help the planet" lay out more money, and let the fiscally intelligent people buy the conventional model.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm surprised to see the highway fuel economy jump by 23.3%. Even full hybrids usually don't usually see that sort of highway economy benefit. The highway economy might be one of those things that only applies to shorter or more sporadic speed trips - such as is found in the EPA's test cycle. I really doubt that if you set cruise at ~70-75 mph and just roll down the interstate until you've burned through a full tank of gas that you're going to see 37 mpg. Unless they've worked some serious magic tricks here.
Same system everyone else is using. And it should be the same system that the non hybrid uses. So you might not see that 37 mpg at ~70-75, but if you don't then you shouldn't see the 30 mpg at ~70-75.

They did just add the hybrid system. The Cobalt FX picked up several miles with just a little bit of aerodynamic and tires. It sounds like the Buick has a different transmission than it's non Hybrid Counter part. That there could be the major MPG increase.

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Evilfrog - which is why hybrids should probably remain separate/optional models for every car. Let the people who truly feel the need to "help the planet" lay out more money, and let the fiscally intelligent people buy the conventional model.
I'd Agree that I would hate for every model to have to be a hybrid

But in this case if gas were to jump up to $5.00 (which it nearly reached a few years ago) we would be looking at 95238 Highway miles or 47619 City miles. If you are like me and planning owning the cars you buy for 200,000 Miles it fiscally make sense to get the hybrid assuming there are no additional maintenance costs. Cars that are only see a 2-3 MPG increase don't really make sense at all. (unless of course, they are in within the same price tag)

Last edited by Evilfrog; 11-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
Same system everyone else is using.
So you saying this is no longer a "mild hybrid" system? From the description is sounds like it is different from what everyone else is using.

And it should be the same system that the non hybrid uses.
Huh?

So you might not see that 37 mpg at ~70-75, but if you don't then you shouldn't see the 30 mpg at ~70-75.
Hybrids work by recapturing energy that would normally be lost via braking, coasting, etc. If you're on the highway doing a steady speed the entire time, there's very few opportunities to recapture any energy. That's why I'm skeptical of a 7 mpg increase on the highway. I'm sure in the EPA's test cycle it came out that way, but their "highway" test cycle is indicative of a fairly short trip through rush hour highway traffic. It's not even remotely close to a 'road trip' scenario. The EPA's highway test makes hybrids look better than they really are for true lengthy highway drives.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Huh?
System = the EPA's system of determining MPG.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM

We also don't know what other options will comes standard (or will be deleted) on the 2012. 2-3% should also be factored in for inflation. The real price increase might be less.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

I think we should all take note that the word "hybrid" appears only 1 time in the official press release and even then its only in reference to its "hybrid competitors" and not to the LaCrosse.

I think GM marketing has learned a smart lesson and they are not marketing this car as a hybrid, but rather as an excellent car with exceptional fuel economy for its class using some cool technology.

In my opinion its a smart move compared to the original strategy of "sure our hybrids aren't full hybrids and don't get much better fuel economy than their non-hybrid counterparts, but look how much cheaper they are than a real hybrid!!!!)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodshaker
I think we should all take note that the word "hybrid" appears only 1 time in the official press release and even then its only in reference to its "hybrid competitors" and not to the LaCrosse.

I think GM marketing has learned a smart lesson and they are not marketing this car as a hybrid, but rather as an excellent car with exceptional fuel economy for its class using some cool technology.

In my opinion its a smart move compared to the original strategy of "sure our hybrids aren't full hybrids and don't get much better fuel economy than their non-hybrid counterparts, but look how much cheaper they are than a real hybrid!!!!)
I agree with everything you said
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Hybrids work by recapturing energy that would normally be lost via braking, coasting, etc. If you're on the highway doing a steady speed the entire time, there's very few opportunities to recapture any energy. That's why I'm skeptical of a 7 mpg increase on the highway. I'm sure in the EPA's test cycle it came out that way, but their "highway" test cycle is indicative of a fairly short trip through rush hour highway traffic. It's not even remotely close to a 'road trip' scenario. The EPA's highway test makes hybrids look better than they really are for true lengthy highway drives.
I'm pretty sure the LaCrosse's electric motor is for low speed only, and wouldn't come on at all at highway speeds. So I agree with your highway mileage scepticism, unless a non-hybrid LaCrosse with similar mileage extending tricks also came close to that figure.

Quick Reply: 2012 Buick LaCrosse hits 37 mpg with standard hybrid tech